100 Best Free Knitting Patterns of 2020
Check out the top knitting patterns of 2020. From knit baby patterns to hats and ponchos, we've rounded up the best free knitting patterns of the year.
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
2020 has been one wild ride, hasn't it, knitters? It feels like every year goes by faster, and every year is more eventful than the last. I'm lucky to constantly be getting new and amazing knitting patterns from incredibly companies, designers, and bloggers to share with you guys, and your favorites this year were no-brainers!
We at AllFreeKnitting did the math and found all of the knitting patterns you loved in 2020, from baby patterns to ponchos to everything in between. While many of your top patterns this year were simple and minimalistic, others were lovely and intricate. I feel so blessed to be a part of the knitting community, especially around this time of year when the snow is falling and everyone's in a knitting frenzy. We're really like a family!
Check out the categories below to see if your personal faves made our top patterns of 2020, and if they didn't, be sure to leave a comment with some of your favorite knitting patterns to show them some love! You might even introduce someone to his or her new favorite, too.
Table of Contents
Baby Knitting Patterns
You all really love knitting for babies! We don't blame you; it's all the fun of knitting for yourself, but you get to give a gift to a beloved little one, and it's much faster to knit, to boot! Whether you've welcomed a new baby into your life recently or you love knitting for charity, you're going to enjoy these baby patterns.
- Basic Knit Baby Booties Pattern
- Pom Pom Newborn Hat
- Two Teensy Baby Sets
- 5 Hour Knit Baby Sweater
- Charlie Baby Cardigan
- Top Down Vintage Baby Cardigans
- Sunshine Yellow Knit Baby Cardigan
- Newborn Cozy Cap
- Heavenly Baby Blanket
- Jordan Baby Blanket Pattern
- Triangles Baby Blanket
- Speedy One-Row Baby Blanket
- Box Stitch Baby Blanket
- Little Surprise Knit Sweater Pattern
- One Hour Knit Stroller Blanket
- Garter Stitch Baby Cardigan
- Basic Preemie Hat
- Easiest Baby Booties Pattern
- Enchanting Forest Baby Blanket
- Precious Knit Baby Hat
- Lickety-Split Baby Hats
- Easiest Knit Baby Hat
- Spring Morning Baby Cardigan Pattern
Do you knit baby patterns for charity? If you love knitting to give back to the community, check out our page on Knitting for Charity: 31 Free Hat Patterns
Knit Hat Patterns
In the winter, there's never a hotter topic than knit hats. They can be knit in so many ways that you could literally knit a new hat every week of your life and never knit the same kind twice. There are hats out there with double pom-poms, animal ears, and intricate cables, but your favorites this year were overall a little more understated. Check them out!
- Beginner Easy Ribbed Pom Hat
- Mountain Ridges Earflap Hat Pattern
- Everyday Knit Hat Pattern
- 2-Hour Butterfly Beanie
- Fluffy Brioche Hat
- Grandma's Favorite Garter Stitch Hat
- Pink Quick-Knit Beanie
- Nice and Easy Beanie Pattern
- The Rubies and Diamonds Hat Pattern
- Roly Poly Hatty
- Spring Meadow Seed Stitch Beanie
- Vintage Hat
- How to Knit a Hat
- Orange Sherbet Easy-Fit Hat
For even more hats that we love, check out 66+ Knit Hat Patterns
Those of you who have tackled a knit cardigan before know that it's an enormous undertaking, but nothing feels better than bragging to your friends about how your newest top is handmade! These cardigans have earned their top spot on this list for a reason: they're unique, yet versatile, and knitters love them.
- Carrara Knit Jacket
- Classic Knit Jacket
- Cocoa Free Wrap Style Cardigan Knitting Pattern
- Cocoon Cardigan
- Picnic Spring Jacket
- Drape Front Knit Cardigan
- Easy Saturday Cardigan
- Nameme Cardigan
- Knit Kimono Sweater
- Lola Free Cardigan Knitting Pattern
- Midtown Cardigan
- No-Button Knitted Cardigan
- Long Cardigan Knitting Pattern
- Stockinette Stitch Hooded Cardigan
- Sucre Cardigan Pattern
Many people begin knitting with the goal of one day finishing a sweater. The best part about making your own is that you can make the sweater uniquely yours by altering the fit or design to your liking, so you just know that if you knit it right, you're going to love your knit top more than any that you bought from a department store.
- Nordic-Inspired Knit Sweater
- Bateau Sweater
- Funfetti Sweater
- Classic Vintage Pullover
- Beginner Chunky Knit Sweater Pattern
- Easy-Going Knit Pullover
- Effortlessly Elegant Belted Sweater
- Favorite Fashion Sweater Pattern
- Oats and Honeycomb Cabled Pullover
- Velvety Soft Knit Sweater Pattern
- Lazy Sunday Relaxed Sweater
- Lemon Curry Ease Pullover
- Mom's Classic Sweater
- Morning Stroll Knit Sweater
- Sandhurst Sweater
- Timeless Cabled Sweater
- One Week Sweater
You want more sweaters? We've got all the sweaters you can imagine! For everything from cabled cardigans to pink pullovers, take a look at our collection page, How to Knit a Sweater: 138 Patterns for Practice
Knit Blankets and Throws
Blankets are one of those great kinds of knitting patterns for long, lazy sessions. There's no doubt that finishing up a blanket usually takes a ton of time and patience, but so often they come with easy-to-memorize repeats so you can mindlessly knit in front of the television or while listening to an audiobook. These are some of the best projects for long-term commitments that won't drive you insane.
Knit Shawl Patterns
Shawls are a great way to show off your knitting chops. While some may consider them a bit old-fashioned, bloggers and designers have done an amazing job in the past few years creating new, wearable shawl patterns that still pay homage to the classic layering pieces that your grandma knew and loved. While you typically think of shawls as being great for some added coverage in the warmer months, there are some great winter shawl patterns out there, too.
Knit Poncho Patterns
Ponchos have really blown up over the past decade or so. It's not hard to see why: not only is their full-coverage wonderfully cozy for winter, but they add a certain elegance to outfits that feels appropriate at any occasion. As a bonus, they'll help hide if you ate one too many Christmas cookies over the holidays. Check out some of your favorites from 2018!
More Free Knitting Patterns
The fun doesn't stop there! Maybe sweaters, scarves, and hats are the most popular kinds of knitting patterns, but sometimes you guys surprise us with your unique favorites. These accessories all made your faves this year, but spoiler alert: it also features an adorable little dog sweater!
- Grandma's Simple Knit Slippers
- How to Knit Fingerless Gloves (in Two Hours)
- Cat Couch
- Easy Mistake Stitch Scarf
- Cute Knit Llama Pattern
- Life is Ruff Knit Dog Sweater
- Sapphire Knit Dog Sweater
- Easy Cable Knit Headband
- Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth
- Nana's Favorite Dishcloth Pattern
- Lovely Lattices Infinity Scarf
Eager to be on next year's top 100 list? Submit your original knitting patterns to us right here!
What was your favorite knitting pattern of 2020? Leave a comment below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Knitting for Beginners Guide
- 100 Best Free Knitting Patterns of 2020
- 40 Free DK Weight Knitting Patterns
- 26 Straight Needle Knitting Patterns You Need
- 52 Free Bulky Yarn Knitting Patterns
- 36 Free Knitting Patterns for Tweens
- 17 Fair Isle Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns by Needle Size
- 24 Useful Things to Knit
- 17 Cable Knitting Patterns
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You