100 Best Free Knitting Patterns of 2018
Check out the top knitting patterns of 2018. From knit baby patterns to hats and ponchos, we've rounded up the best free knitting patterns of the year.
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
2018 has been one wild ride, hasn't it, knitters? It seems like every year goes by faster, and every year is more eventful than the last. I'm lucky to constantly be getting new and amazing knitting patterns from incredibly companies, designers, and bloggers to share with you guys, and your favorites this year were no-brainers!
We at AllFreeKnitting did the math and found all of the knitting patterns you loved in 2018, from baby patterns to ponchos to everything in between. While many of your top patterns this year were simple and minimalistic, others were lovely and intricate. I feel so blessed to be a part of the knitting community, especially around this time of year when the snow is falling and everyone's in a knitting frenzy. We're really like a family!
Check out the categories below to see if your personal faves made our top patterns of 2018, and if they didn't, be sure to leave a comment with some of your favorite knitting patterns to show them some love! You might even introduce someone to his or her new favorite, too.
Table of Contents
Baby Knitting Patterns
You all really love knitting for babies! We don't blame you; it's all the fun of knitting for yourself, but you get to give a gift to a beloved little one, and it's much faster to knit, to boot! Whether you've welcomed a new baby into your life recently or you love knitting for charity, you're going to enjoy these baby patterns.
- Basic Knit Baby Booties Pattern
- Speedy One-Row Baby Blanket
- Pom Pom Newborn Hat
- Charlie Baby Cardigan
- 5 Hour Knit Baby Sweater
- Easiest Baby Booties Pattern
- Newborn Cozy Cap
- Baby Hug Boots
- Little Baby Mittens
- Box Stitch Baby Blanket
- Top Down Vintage Baby Cardigans
- Easy Baby Blanket
- In A Wink Baby Blanket
- Minty Garter Stitch Baby Booties
- Lickety-Split Baby Hats
- Garter Stitch Baby Cardigan
- Knitted Baby Cardigan
- Two Baby Hat Knitting Patterns
- Top Down Raglan Baby Sweater
- Beginner Blue Baby Blanket
- Little Surprise Knit Sweater Pattern
- Little Angel Baby Cardigan
- Beautiful Beginner Baby Blanket
- Bitty Baby Uggs
- No Seams Baby Cardi
- Crazy Easy Knit Baby Booties
- Lemon Lime Baby Booties
- Seed Stitch Baby Set
- Basic Preemie Hat
Do you knit baby patterns for charity? If you love knitting to give back to the community, check out our page on Knitting for Charity: 31 Free Hat Patterns
Knit Hat Patterns
In the winter, there's never a hotter topic than knit hats. They can be knit in so many ways that you could literally knit a new hat every week of your life and never knit the same kind twice. There are hats out there with double pom-poms, animal ears, and intricate cables, but your favorites this year were overall a little more understated. Check them out!
- Nice and Easy Beanie Pattern
- Everyday Knit Hat Pattern
- Orange Sherbet Easy-Fit Hat
- Spring Meadow Seed Stitch Beanie
- Cable Crush Winter Hat
- North Shore Hat
- Pink Quick-Knit Beanie
- Guacamole Comfy Beanie
- Grandma's Favorite Garter Stitch Hat
- Camel Seed Stitch Slouchy Hat
- Beginner Easy Ribbed Pom Hat
- Downton Hat
- Katherine's Cable Knit Hat
- Easy Double Moss Stitch Hat
For even more hats that we love, check out 66+ Knit Hat Patterns for Winter
Knit Dishcloth Patterns
All you need to knit a fantastically useful kitchen accessory is some cotton yarn, your own two needles, and a little bit of time. Those who say knitting is a waste of energy are wrong! Knit dishcloths are a great way to reduce waste in your life since they make excellent stashbusters, as well as a unique way to add some personality to your kitchen.
If you're just beginning knitting, learning with a dishcloth is the best way to start! Take a look at our page, 12 Knit Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
Knit Sweaters and Cardigans
Those of you who have tackled a knit sweater or cardigan before know that it's an enormous undertaking, but nothing feels better than bragging to your friends about how your newest top is handmade! To boot, you can make the sweater uniquely yours by altering the fit or design to your liking, so you just know that if you knit it right, you're going to love your knit top more than any that you bought from a department store.
You want more sweaters? We've got all the sweaters you can imagine! For everything from cabled cardigans to pink pullovers, take a look at our collection page, How to Knit a Sweater: 138 Patterns for Practice
Knit Blankets and Throws
Blankets are one of those great kinds of knitting patterns for long, lazy sessions. There's no doubt that finishing up a blanket usually takes a ton of time and patience, but so often they come with easy-to-memorize repeats so you can mindlessly knit in front of the television or while listening to an audiobook. These are some of the best projects for long-term commitments that won't drive you insane.
Knit Scarves and Cowls
Who among us didn't begin knitting with a knit scarf? Scarves, cowls, and infinity scarves are some of the projects that we just keep coming back to because they're familiar, they're warm and cozy for the colder months, and they make excellent gifts. Like hats, you can knit them in an uncountable number of styles and never get bored.
Knit Shawl Patterns
Shawls are a great way to show off your knitting chops. While some may consider them a bit old-fashioned, bloggers and designers have done an amazing job in the past few years creating new, wearable shawl patterns that still pay homage to the classic layering pieces that your grandma knew and loved. While you typically think of shawls as being great for some added coverage in the warmer months, there are some great winter shawl patterns out there, too.
Knit Poncho Patterns
Ponchos have really blown up over the past decade or so. It's not hard to see why: not only is their full-coverage wonderfully cozy for winter, but they add a certain elegance to outfits that feels appropriate at any occasion. As a bonus, they'll help hide if you ate one too many Christmas cookies over the holidays. Check out some of your favorites from 2018!
More Free Knitting Patterns
The fun doesn't stop there! Maybe sweaters, scarves, and hats are the most popular kinds of knitting patterns, but sometimes you guys surprise us with your unique favorites. These accessories all made your faves this year, but spoiler alert: it also features an adorable little dog sweater!
- Grandma's Simple Knit Slippers
- How to Knit Fingerless Gloves (in Two Hours)
- Foldover Garter Stitch Slippers
- Basic Striped Socks
- Basic Sock Knitting Pattern
- Life is Ruff Knit Dog Sweater
- Mesh Knit Market Bag
- Beginner Tea Cozy Knitting Pattern
- On-the-Go Knit Bag
- Partridge in a Pear Tree Ornaments
- Basic Chunky Slippers
- Twisted Sister Headband
- Easy Cable Knit Headband
Eager to be on next year's top 100 list? Submit your original knitting patterns to us right here!
What was your favorite knitting pattern of 2018? Leave a comment below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- 18 Vintage Knitting Patterns
- Knitting for Beginners Guide
- Free Knitting Patterns by Yarn Weight
- 26 Straight Needle Knitting Patterns You Need
- Free Knitting Patterns by Needle Size
- 52 Free Bulky Yarn Knitting Patterns
- 9 Caron Cakes Patterns
- 17 Fair Isle Knitting Patterns
- 16 One Skein Knitting Patterns
- 100 Best Free Knitting Patterns of 2018
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Diagonal Basketweave Stitch
- Rainbow Ruffle Cowl
- Nordic-Inspired Knit Sweater
- Lovely Lattices Infinity Scarf
- Strawberry Seed Baby Sweater
- Strawberry Seed Baby Booties
- Easy Christmas Trees
- What to Knit With Linen Yarn
- Little Red Riding Hood/Wolf in Granny’s Clothing
- Free Knitting Patterns by Needle Size
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You