Nordic-Inspired Knit Sweater
This fair isle sweater pattern is just teeming with classic beauty.
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Nothing beats a good fair isle sweater pattern. Free patterns like this Nordic-Inspired Knit Sweater are particularly rare due to their intricate nature. This gorgeous pullover is made of super bulky yarn with a lovely halo that adds an immediate air of coziness to any outfit. The lovely contrasting colors of orange and blue make the design really stand out, but this sweater would look just as lovely with any other color combination. For a wintry sweater design that any woman would love to wear, this is an excellent option.
Knitting Needle Size11 or 8 mm, 13 or 9 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge11 sts and 15 rows = 4" [10 cm] with smaller needles in stocking st.
Patons ® Norse ™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 211 yds/193 m) yarn
- Main Color (MC): Asphalt (91003) - 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6 balls
- Contrast A: Sunflower (91009) - 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2 ball(s)
- Sizes U.S. 11 (8 mm) and U.S. 13 (9 mm) circular knitting needles 29" [73.5 cm] long.
- Set of 4 sizes U.S. 11 (8 mm) and U.S. 13 (9 mm) double-pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Stitch markers.
To fit bust measurement
XS/S: 28-34" [71-86.5 cm]
M: 36"-38" [91.5-96.5 cm]
L: 40-42" [101.5-106.5 cm]
XL: 44-46" [112-117 cm]
2/3XL: 48-54" [122-137 cm]
4/5XL: 56-62" [142-157.5 cm]
XS/S: 40" [101.5 cm]
M: 44" [112 cm]
L: 48" [122 cm]
XL: 52" [132 cm]
2/3XL: 58" [147.5 cm]
4/5XL: 65" [165 cm]
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ). Numbers for each size are shown in the same color throughout the pattern. When only one number is given in black, it applies to all sizes.
Body and Sleeves are worked in the round from lower edge up separately then joined into Yoke. See diagram below.
When working from charts, carry yarn not in use loosely across WS of work but never over more than 5 sts. When it must pass over more than 5 sts, weave it over and under color in use on next st or at center point of sts it passes over. The colors are never twisted around one another.
With MC and smaller circular needle, cast on 110 (120-130-144-160-180) sts.
Join in rnd. PM on first st.
1st rnd: *K1. P1. Rep from * around.
2nd rnd: Knit.
Rep last 2 rnds of Broken Rib Pat for 3" [7.5 cm], inc 6 (4-6-4-4-4) sts evenly around. 116 (124-136-148-164-184) sts.
Change to larger circular needle and work Chart I to end of chart, reading rnds from right to left and noting 4-st rep will be worked 29 (31-34-37-41-46) times. Break A. Charts are shown below.
Change to smaller circular needle.
Next rnd: With MC knit, dec 6 (4-6-4-4-4) sts evenly around. 110 (120-130-144-160-180) sts.
Knit in rnds until work from beg measures 15 (15-16½-16½-15-15)" [38 (38-42-42-38-38) cm].
Next rnd: *K55 (60-65-72-80-90). Slip last 4 (5-5-6-7-8) sts onto a length of yarn for underarm. Rep from * once more. Leave all sts on a spare needle.
With smaller set of double-pointed needles and MC, cast on 28 (28-30-30-34-34) sts.
Divide sts onto 3 needles.
Join in rnd.
PM on first st.
Proceed in Broken Rib Pat as given for Body for 3" [7.5 cm], inc 4 (4-6-6-6-6) sts evenly around last rnd. 32 (32-36-36-40-40) sts.
Change to larger set of needles and work Chart I to end of chart, noting 4-st rep will be worked 8 (8-9-9-10-10) times.
Change to smaller set of needles and with MC, knit in rnds, inc 1 st at beg and end of 9th (9th-9th-7th-7th-3rd) rnd and every following 10th (8th-8th-6th-6th-4th) rnd to 38 (40-44-46-50-56) sts.
Cont even until work from beg measures 16 (16-16-16-15½-14½)" [40.5 (40.5-40.5-40.5-39.5-37) cm].
Next rnd: *K38 (40-44-46-50-56).
Slip last 2 (2-2-3-3-4) sts and first 2 (3-3-3-4-4) sts of rnd onto a st holder for underarm.
Rep from * once more.
Leave rem 34 (35-39-40-43-48) sts on length of yarn.
1st rnd: With MC and smaller circular needle, *K34 (35-39-40-43-48) for Sleeve. PM on needle.
K51 (55-60-66-73-82) for Body. PM on needle.
Rep from * once more. 170 (180-198-212-232-260) sts.
Size L only:
2nd rnd: (K99. M1) twice. 200 sts.
Sizes XL and 2/3XL only:
2nd rnd: [K(104-114). K2tog] twice. (210-230) sts.
Knit 0 (3-4-5-5-7) rnd(s) even.
Change to larger circular needle.Work Chart II to end of chart, reading rnds from right to left and noting 10-st rep will be worked 17 (18-20-21-23-26) times.
Break A. 85 (90-100-105-115-130) sts.
Change to smaller set of double-pointed needles.
Next rnd: With MC, knit.
Next rnd: K5 (3-4-1-3-2). *K2tog. K8 (9-10-11-12-14). Rep from * around. 77 (82-92-97-107-122) sts.
Next rnd: K5 (3-4-1-3-2). *K2tog. K7 (8-9-10-11-13). Rep from * around. 69 (74-84-89-99-114) sts. Cont in same manner, dec 8 sts every rnd until there are 53 (50-52-57-59-66) sts.
Next rnd: Knit, dec 1 (0-0-1-1-0) st at beg of rnd. 52 (50-52-56-58-66) sts.
Next rnd: With MC, *K1. P1. Rep from * around. Rep last rnd of (K1. P1) ribbing for 1" [2.5 cm].
Cast off in rib.
Graft underarm seams.
- Knit next 2 stitches together
- Make 1 stitch by picking up horizontal loop lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- Place marker
- Right side
- Wrong side
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
This Orange Cabled Knit Mittens Pattern is vibrant and full of style. With a bold, chunky cable knitting pattern, these knitted… Continue reading: "Orange Cabled Knit Mittens Pattern"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Ribbed Knit Beanie
- Chunky Christmas Santa Stocking Cap Pompom Hat
- Chunky Christmas Elf Stocking Cap Pompom Hat Winter
- Christmas Elf Stocking Cap Hat Baby Children Women Men
- Snowman Pompom Toque Winter Hat Children Women Christmas Winter
- Santa Pompom Toque Christmas Hat Baby Children Adult
- Bear Ears Hat - Baby Children Women Men Winter Toque
- Personalized Name Toque Baby Children Women Men Winter Hat
- Santa Double Pompom Chunky Christmas Hat Toque
- Little Hearts Hat Valentine's Day Beanie
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You