Simple Striped Seed Stitch Afghan
Knitting an afghan has never been easier. This Simple Striped Seed Stitch Afghan is a great way for those just beginning knitting to practice a new stitch, or to finish a project while watching your favorite show on a lazy Sunday. Choose whatever colors you want to match the room you'll be putting the afghan in. These also make fantastic going-away-to-college gifts for your kids or grandkids. There really is no easier way to add a pop of color to any room than such an easy knit blanket.
BONUS! If you're just starting your knitting journey and you're not sure what materials you need, be sure to check out our article, Beginning Knitting Supplies: The Ultimate Knitting Tools List, for all the information you need.
Knitting Needle Size35 or 19 mm
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge1 stitches, 2 rows, 3 inches. stockinette stitch
- Bernat® Mega Bulky™ (10.5 oz/300 g; 64 yds/58 m)
- Contrast A: Linen (88021) - 1 ball
- Contrast B: Pumpkin (88630) - 1 ball
- Contrast C: Eucalyptus (88247) - 1 ball
- Contrast D: New Gold (88609) - 1 ball
- Contrast E: Mocha Brown (88029) - 1 ball
- Contrast F: Lt Grey Heather (88046) - 1 ball
- Contrast G: Olympia Blue (88128) - 1 ball
- Contrast H: Purple (88334) - 1 ball
- Contrast I: Aran (88008) - 1 ball
- Contrast J: Dk Grey Heather (88042) - 1 ball
- Size U.S. 35 (19 mm) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
Measurements: Approx 43" x 60" [109 x 152.5 cm].
Approx = Approximate(ly)
Cont = Continue(ity)
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
RS = Right side
St(s) = Stitch(es)
WS = Wrong side
Gauge: 4½ sts and 7 rows = 4" [10 cm] in Seed St Pat.
Note: Join next color when necessary (it may occur in the middle of row).
With A, cast on 67 sts. Do not join. Working back and forth across needle, proceed as follows.
1st row: (RS). *K1. P1. Rep from * tolast st. K1. Rep last row of Seed St Pat until all colors will be used in the following sequence: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, leaving end long enough to cast off. Cast off.
Read NextRattan Blanket