8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
Knitting Stitches Library
These knitting stitch videos are perfect for beginners and expert knitters alike!
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Learning to knit is a lot easier one stitch at a time. That's why we compiled all of our videos that help you learn the different types of knitting stitches all in one place!
Starting with the four main stitches that beginners should know -- garter stitch, stockinette stitch, seed stitch (or moss stitch), and linen stitch -- you can combine and shift the stitches to create all kinds of amazing patterns.
It's amazing how many combinations you can make with just knitting and purling. Check out any of the knitting stitch video tutorials below, and let us know in the comments which ones are your favorites!
Table of Contents
Increases and Decreases
Depending on the stitch that you choose, you might need to know a few extra techniques besides just knitting and purling. For lace stitches in particular, increases and decreases are great skills to have under your knitting belt. Check out our collections of knitting increases and decreases here:
These four stitches are perfect to start with, especially garter stitch and stockinette stitch. These are used in so many different types of projects, and they're pretty easy to master.
- How to Knit Garter Stitch
The garter stitch is the first stitch that all beginner knitters learn. It's truly so simple to knit because it's just the knit stitch. Use this stitch to add a nice border to your patterns or to keep stockinette from curling.
Row 1 (RS): K all sts
Row 2 (WS): K all sts
- How to Knit Stockinette Stitch
Stockinette stitch is often considered the "classic" knit stitch. Alternating rows of knits and purls aligns all of the V sides and purl bump sides, giving you a truly stunning and versatile stitch.
Row 1 (RS): K all sts
Row 2 (WS): P all sts
- How To Knit Seed Stitch
Seed stitch is typically the first "textured" stitch that knitters will learn. It can add some lovely visual appeal to simple knits as well, which makes it great for things like scarves and hats.
CO an even number of sts
Row 1 (RS): K1, p1
Row 2 (WS): P1, k1
- How to Knit Moss Stitch
Moss stitch is very similar to the seed stitch in both pattern and look. The main difference is that it's a four-row pattern instead of just a two-row pattern. The final product is something like a 1-by-1 rib that's shifted every two rows.
CO an even number of stitches.
Rows 1 & 2: K1, p1
Rows 3 & 4: P1, k1
Knit and Purl Combination Stitches
Once you've mastered the basics, these knit and purl combinations are a great next step. Whether you're learning the bobble stitch, trying your hand at condo knitting, or mastering the waffle stitch, these video tutorials below are great for those who want to try patterns that are more complex.
Slip stitches are a great way to take your knitting from simple knits and purls to a more advanced level. Linen stitch is one of the most popular stitches and typically the first stitch knitters learn when they're practicing slip stitches.
Ribbing and cable stitches are great for making sweaters, cardigans, and scarves alike. They're definitely a little more on the advanced side of the stitch spectrum, but the results that they produce are stunning. If you're looking to step up your knitting game, give one of these stitches a try, and you'll be a master knitter in no time.
Sometimes, you want your knitted fabric to have a little more... personality. That's where these textured stitches come in. Add bumps, waves, and color patterns to your knitting with any of these stitches.
For those of you who want to try to design your own patterns, these stitches are a great way to add fancy embellishments to the fabric that your pattern will create. Impressive!
Whether you're making a shawl, a soft sweater, or just adding some lacy edging to a scarf, the real test of a committed knitter is how well they can knit lace. I'll be honest, these stitches aren't always the easiest to master, but once you see how amazing they look, you'll be sold. With these kinds of stitches, yarn overs and eyelets in the fabric create intricate patterns that give the fabric character and really stretch the art of knitting to its limits.
- How to Knit the Basic Mesh Stitch
- How to Knit Asynchronous Lace
- How to Knit the Feathered Ladder Stitch
- How to Knit the Seafoam Stitch
- How to Knit the Wave Stitch
- How to Knit the Snowdrop Lace Stitch
- How to Knit the Japanese Feather Lace Stitch
- How to Knit the Little Peacock Stitch
- How to Knit the Cat's Eye Lace Stitch
- How to Knit the Chevron Lace Stitch
- How to Knit the Soft Curves Stitch
- How to Knit the Drop Stitch
- How to Knit the Feather and Fan Stitch
- How to Knit the Butterfly Lace Stitch
Other Decorative Stitches
Spruce up your knitting patterns with a little decoration here and there. These bobbles, slips, drops, and nupps are just what you need to give your next design a little bit of added flair.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
This knit slipper pattern is so cozy and colorful. Using bright rainbow yarn, this free knitting pattern will teach you how to knit… Continue reading: "Rainbow Striped Knit Slipper Pattern"
- 6 Stretchy Cast On Methods
- Suspended Bind Off Tutorial
- How to Knit a Hat
- 6 Bind Off Methods
- How Many Stitches to Cast On for a Hat
- Free Online Knitting Class (Knitting Class: Part 1)
- The 5 Knitting Styles (And How to Knit Them)
- Knitting Stitches Library
- Knitting for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- Condo Knitting
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Super Simple Shawl
- Gentlemen Scarf
- Child Moccasin Slipper Booties
- Amanda Saladin from Love. Life. Yarn.
- Cloudy Sunset Beret
- Bella Vita Blanket
- Snowflake Bulky Winter Hat
- Moccasin Slippers With A Cuff
- Suspended Bind Off Tutorial
- Seed Stitch Scarf
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You