Free Knitting Patterns by Yarn Weight
Start browsing with your yarn in mind with these knitting patterns sorted by yarn weight!
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
We've all got that stash of scrap yarn, random skeins, and balls of yarn that we don't know what to do with. Maybe you bought it because it was pretty and didn't check the weight. Maybe it's leftover yarn from a project that's completed and didn't require as many yards as you'd calculated.
No matter the reason, every knitter has had to search for a pattern for a specific yarn weight at one time or another.
In this collection, we've organized all of our favorite knitting patterns by their yarn weight, so you know exactly what you're getting when you start browsing. We should give you a quick disclaimer, though -- yarn weight is standardized but still at the discretion of the particular yarn manufacturer. This means that two different yarns of the same weight might still have different gauges. Always be sure to check your gauge before diving into a new project!
Check out some patterns for the most popular yarn weights:
Worsted Weight Fingering Weight Bulky Weight
Table of Contents
- Lace Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 0)
- Fingering Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 1)
- Sport Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 2)
- DK Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 3)
- Worsted Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 4)
- Bulky Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 5)
- Super Bulky Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 6)
- Jumbo Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 7)
Lace Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 0)
Lace weight yarn can be a little bit intimidating, especially to beginner knitters. But we recommend every knitter try knitting with this weight of yarn at least once. It will definitely teach you patience, and you'll end up with a beautiful pattern that's delicate and will show off all of your lovely stitchwork.
More Lace Weight Knitting Patterns
Fingering Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 1)
All the beauty of lace weight yarns with the ease and comfortability of sport weight? Sign us up. Fingering weight yarn is a go-to for many yarn makers and knitters alike. Its light weight nature and stunnning stitch definition makes it ideal for a wide range of projects.
More Fingering Weight Knitting Patterns
Sport Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 2)
Also sometimes called "baby weight yarn" this yarn category is known making delicate, soft garments that are great for babies (and anyone who likes soft things). Because some of our more popular pattern types are baby blankets and sweaters, it's no surprise that sport weight yarn is among the most commonly requested weights for knitting patterns.
More Sport Weight Knitting Patterns
DK Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 3)
DK weight yarn is perfect for almost any kind of knitting pattern. Aside from worsted weight yarn, this particular yarn category is one of the most popular because it's so versatile. You're probably going to encounter these yarns in things like sweaters, shawls, and scarves, but really you can use it for just about any kind of pattern out there. The smaller gauge of this yarn allows for more intricate patterns to show through your finished garment more easily and makes for some very visually striking finished products.
More DK Weight Knitting Patterns
Worsted Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 4)
Bulky Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 5)
These yarns and patterns are probably some of the first that most knitters learn to work with. The bulky weight yarns feel so nice in your hands, and the weight is perfect for getting used to the motions of knitting. For beginners and advanced knitters alike, there's a good reason that bulky weight yarns are a favorite of many.
More Bulky Weight Knitting Patterns
Super Bulky Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 6)
Super bulky weight yarn is the yarn of choice for us lazy and impatient knitters (myself included). For quick, last-minute gifts, pillows, scarves, and blankets, you really can't go wrong with this yarn weight.
More Super Bulky Weight Knitting Patterns
Jumbo Weight Yarn Patterns (Weight 7)
Jumbo weight yarn is a relative newcomer in the world of knitting, and it's become a favorite for big, draping projects, such as scarves and blankets.
More Jumbo Weight Knitting Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Learning how to make a sweater has never been easier. The Stockinette Stitch Hooded Cardigan is an easy and classic sweater pattern… Continue reading: "Stockinette Stitch Hooded Cardigan"
- 36 200-Yard Knitting Patterns
- Knitting for Beginners Guide
- 26 Straight Needle Knitting Patterns You Need
- How to Knit a Sweater: 300+ Patterns
- 17 Cable Knitting Patterns
- 100 Best Free Knitting Patterns of 2019
- Look like royalty with these free knitting patterns inspired by Duchess Kate herself!
- 52 Free Bulky Yarn Knitting Patterns
- Free Knitting Patterns by Needle Size
- 16 Intarsia Knitting Patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Rachel Hill from Ravin Sekai Designs
- Criss Cross Baby Booties
- Bunny Squared – Make A Bunny From A Square
- Trellis Stitch Square With Heart Insert
- Tubular Bind Off Tutorial
- Tostata Triangle Scarf
- Simple Knit Wrap Bracelet
- Bianca Bookmark
- Beaded Bracelet Knitting Pattern
- Ribbed Bubble Hat
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You