- see all comments
"This is the 8th or 9th dead link I've hit this morning trying to look at the patterns from one newsletter, i can only presume that the person putting the newsletter together does not have time to check and verify the links."
"New pattern, first time I've seen a picture of it on this site. Unfortunately, there is a problem with the link, when you click on it you receive an "oops" message, that the pattern is no longer available."
"Not sure why you would leave your comment on an entirely different pattern but anyway, the pattern actually specifies and gives step by step instructions on what the chain 5 is- (Bring st back to left-hand needle. K1) 5 times Chain 5 made. Bring st back to left-hand needle. K4tog. Rep from to last 2 (3-1) st(s). Chain 5. Bring st back to left-hand needle. K3 (4-2) tog. Fasten off."
Seamless Fair Isle Hat
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Click here to view your Knitting Patterns.
Too many knit hat patterns today are a single solid color. This Seamless Fair Isle Hat offers some variety in both design and color, making it a stunning and eye-popping addition to your outerwear collection. Simply follow the easy instructions and the diagrams and you'll have yourself a no-sew hat that looks like it came right off of a department store's shelf. Try making the hat a little bigger to suit a your husband or son, as the style works brilliantly on men, as well.
Knitting Needle Size10.5 or 6.5 mm, 11 or 8 mm
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge12 sts and 16 rows = 4” [10 cm] in stocking st with larger needles.
Finished SizeOne size to fit an average woman's head
Patons® Classic Wool Bulky™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 78 yds/71 m)
- Version 1
- Main Color (MC): Aran (89008) - 1 ball
- Contrast A: Geyser Blue (89201) - 1 ball
- Contrast B: Mocha (89013) - 1 ball
- Contrast C: Natural Mix (89229) - 1 ball
- Version 2
- Main Color (MC): Geyser Blue (89201) - 1 ball
- Contrast A: Mocha (89013) - 1 ball
- Contrast B: Natural Mix (89229) - 1 ball
- Contrast C: Aran (89008) - 1 ball
- Version 1
With A and smaller set of needles, cast on 56 sts. Divide onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
1st rnd: *K1. P1. Rep from * around.
Rep last rnd (K1. P1) ribbing 4 times more.
Change to larger set of needles and proceed as follows:
1st and 2nd rnds: With MC, knit.
Work Chart I for Version 1 or Chart III for Version 2 to end of chart reading rows from right to left and noting 4-st rep will be worked 14 times.
Next 2 rnds: With MC, knit.
Work Chart II for Version 1 or Chart IV for Version 2 to end of chart reading rows from right to left and noting 7-st rep will be worked 8 times. 48 sts.
With MC, knit 4 rnds.
Charts (click here to enlarge):
1st rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from * around. 40 sts.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around. 32 sts.
5th rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around. 24 sts.
7th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around. 12 sts. Break yarn, leaving a long end. Draw end tightly through rem sts.
Wind A around 4 fingers approx 80 times. Remove from fingers and tie tightly in center. Cut through each side of loops. Trim to a smooth round shape. Sew to top of Hat.
- Knit next 2 stitches together
- Right Side
Read NextVintage Hat
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Dec 27, 2020
Could you enlarge the chart for the Seamless Fair Isle Hat?. I started the hat, but the chart is too small to read. Thanks! Ellen
Dec 28, 2020
Hi Ellen, thanks for bringing the image size to our attention! We've updated the pattern with a link to a larger version of the charts. We hope this helps. Happy knitting! -Editors of AllFreeKnitting
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
The Magentalicious Cowl is a beautiful deep color that will catch anyone's eye. The simple design is perfect for chilly autumn days… Continue reading: "Magentalicious Cowl"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Grapes Sherbet Shawlette
- Ribbed Hat Pattern For Men And Women
- Watermelon Delights Shawl
- Byzantine Ribbed Stitch
- Nearly Seamless Cuffed Bootie Slippers For Adults
- Cobblestone Infinity Scarf
- Diagonal Basketweave Stitch
- Simple Snood
- Simple Garter Stitch Dishcloth
- Double Seed Stitch Dishcloth
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You