Darn Good Yarn
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Nicole (Mikkelsen) Snow graduated from Clarkson University in 2004 with a degree in business and technology management. When she started college in 2000, she never would have guessed that she would be running a successful Internet yarn distribution business and helping the global economy four years later.
In college, Nicole was a member of the Air Force ROTC and planned to enter active duty as a pilot; a few business and political science courses shifted her thinking. After graduating, Nicole did enter active duty but took an opportunity to leave the military early. With her husband, Michael, a systems engineer at a Fortune 500 whose career keeps them moving all over the country, Nicole needed a career that could be as mobile. That is when she decided to build a company on her own values and principles and took the leap into small business ownership with the creation of Darn Good Yarn.
Nicole took some time with her mission and vision for her company. She knew she not only wanted to help the environment, but help people as well.
Her business decisions are based on these principles — all of her yarn is made from recycled and Earth friendly materials and much of it is created from the colorful remnants of the production of silk saris in Nepal and Northern India. These materials are handspun and dyed by women’s groups in Nepal. Darn Good Yarn provides these women with a marketplace for the products, as well as much needed wages for their families.
“You really want to do something you love when you are running your own business,” said Nicole. Taking time to think through your reasons for being in business will help drive your success and ease decision making and Nicole is finding this out first hand! To purchase some Darn Good Yarn or learn more about Nicole, visit www.darngoodyarn.com.
Our goal is to provide you with great customer service and help you explore new yarns. The possibilities, your creativity and Darn Good Yarn.
Do you need yarn for resale or are you an artist? Please fill out our simple form to gain access to our wholesale section where you can order directly online.
Darn Good Yarn prides itself on providing you with fairly traded and child labor free yarns. Falling back on her experience with Around the Om Nicole takes that mission seriously. As DGY continues to grow so will our yarn selections, which we promise will be earth friendly, fair trade, child labor free, unique and fun to craft with!
Product Reviews on AllFreeKnitting
- Arm Knit Scarf Kit
- Banana Fiber Yarn
- Ceramic Yarn Bowl
- Ch'i Recycled Silk Ribbon Kimono Jacket Kit S-L
- Lace Weight Silk Cloud Sparkle Yarn
- Linen 2-Ply Yarn
- Lux Adventure Collection Black Yarn
- Reclaimed Cotton Ribbon
- Recycled Silk Sari Ribbon
- Silk Cloud Yarn
- Subscription Yarn Box
- Tibet Jewels: Fair Trade Recycled Silk Sari Ribbon Yarn
- Twist Lace Silk Yarn
- Yarn Storage Bag
Patterns on AllFreeKnitting
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Free Knitting Pattern for Baby Dress
- Wrap - Top Pattern
- Coral Bubbly Waves Shawlette
- Block Sweater
- Chair Socks
- Womens Knit Tank Top Pattern
- Lacy Headband
- 10 Advanced Knitting Patterns
- Knit Market Tote
- Cornflower Knit Cardigan Pattern
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You