Recycled Silk Sari Ribbon
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Recycled Silk Sari Ribbon
Reviewed by Christine Weiher, Editor, AllFreeKnitting.com
Recycled Silk Sari Ribbon Yarn is a very unique yarn from Darn Good Yarn. It is made from recycled vintage silk sari pieces. This gorgeous recycled yarn was designed with artists in mind that express themselves though their textile arts. If you like crafting with up-cycled pieces, then this yarn is right up your alley!
To make this unique recycled yarn, women in fair trade co-ops collect pieces of vintage recycled silk saris. They are hand torn to widths of about a quarter inch, and then sewn together end-to-end. The result is this stunning, exotic ribbon yarn. Each skein measures 100g long and contains about 180 feet of vintage sari ribbon.
This yarn is available in a wide variety of beautiful colors. Although it may appear delicate, it is really quite durable. It can be used to crochet or knit anything from afghans to bags and rugs! Can you imagine walking on a sari silk rug? How luxurious! This yarn is available in a wide variety of beautiful colors.
Darn Good Yarn prides itself on providing you with fairly traded and child labor free yarns. Business decisions are based on these principles — all of their yarn is made from recycled and Earth friendly materials and much of it is created from the colorful remnants of the production of silk saris in Nepal and Northern India. These materials are handspun and dyed by women’s groups in Nepal. Darn Good Yarn provides these women with a marketplace for the products, as well as much needed wages for their families.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Knitting for Beginners: 17 Speedy Sweaters
- Knitter's Pride Interchangeable Deluxe Needle Set
- Delicious Yarns
- Twined Vines
- Walking in a Winter Wonderland: 25 Snow Inspired Free Knitting Patterns
- World's Easiest Knit Baby Booties
- Fall Acorn Hat
- Easy Peasy Pumpkin Potholders
- Scarfie Yarn
- Quick & Easy Wrist Warmers
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You