Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3
Scarves & Cowls
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Scarves & Cowls
Gifted By: Leisure Arts
Reviewed By: Katelin Burke, Editor for AllFreeKnitting
As a beginning knitter, I always found knitting patterns terribly intimidating. What did all these abbreviations mean, and what were you supposed to do if you wanted to make your project bigger or smaller? It took me a long time to progress beyond the simplest of scarves, usually knit in patterns I made up as I went along. I wish I'd had a copy of Scarves & Cowls to demystify the process for me!
To use this wonderful booklet, you choose from one of the six distinct designs presented in the index. Each of these designs contains two sets of instructions: one scarf pattern and one cowl pattern. Each pattern also includes a handy chart that breaks down the number of skeins to buy and stitches to cast on in order to customize the project to fit a wide range of dimensions. These charts take the terror out of pattern customization, rendering this potentially complicated process completely beginner-friendly.
The patterns themselves range in difficulty from easy to intermediate, each of them more gorgeous than the last. They run the gamut of textures and yarn weights to create projects perfect for every occasion. Some are lightweight and lacy, others thick and chunky, but all will add color and flair to any outfit. And if you're still tripped up on reading the patterns, this book has tools to help you. The last few pages explain every unfamiliar concept you might encounter between its covers, from gauge, yarn weight, and needle size to blocking and basic pattern symbols. The stitch directory even gives step-by-step explanations with helpful diagrams and access to online tutorials that walk you through each stitch pattern.
Between its beautiful scarf and cowl patterns and its wide array of basic resources, Scarves & Cowls is indispensable for the beginning knitter. If, after learning to knit, purl, and cast on and off, you find yourself wondering, “what's next?” this is the booklet for you.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- More Modern Top-Down Knitting
- Win a copy of "Fun and Fantastical Slippers to Knit!"
- Loom Knitting With the All-n-One Loom
- Green Gables Knits
- A Handknit Romance: 22 Vintage Designs with Lovely Details
- 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory
- Car Seat Blankets
- Spa & Bath Sets to Knit
- Loom Knitting Pattern Book
- Knit Stitch Guide
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Buffalo Plaid Winter Hat
- Ombre Double Brim Beanie
- Beginner Fall Shawl
- Simple Fair Isle Hat Pattern (Baby)
- How to Cable Without a Cable Needle
- Sunflower Swirls Shawl
- Diagonal Sand Stitch Pillow
- Fuzzy Earwarmers
- Cute Bow Garter Stitch Headband
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You