We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
If there is such a thing as a basic yarn, it’s probably this – worsted weight, 100% wool, and configured in a perfect little center-pull ovoid. Of course, just because the Lanaloft yarn sounds ordinary doesn’t mean it is; in fact, based on my experience, I would have to say it’s significantly better.
So what makes this yarn special? First, there’s the company. Made by Brown Sheep Company, Inc., a family-run mill in Nebraska with over three decades of experience spinning wool, using this fiber gives you the pleasure of knowing that it was made with love (and earth-friendly water, since Brown Sheep recycles up to 90% of the water they use daily). Then, there’s the yarn itself. Beautifully dyed and spun to be mostly consistent but with enough texture to keep it interesting, the fiber is easy and enjoyable to knit, even for those of us sensitive to wool. And finally, there’s the sheer range of colors you can get it in. The yarn is offered in everything from basics to vibrant variegations, and in such lovely shades that even the company’s website can’t do the hues justice (at least if my sample of Victorious Violet is any indication).
Which brings us to the knitting experience. In working with most of a skein on the recommended needles, I found the gauge to be true and the yarn to create a dense and attractive fabric. I also only found one wide section and one skinny section in the skein’s 160 yards, as well as one break. But, while the consistency wasn’t perfect, I was more than satisfied by the short sections of variegation and overall appearance of my finished project. And despite the fact that wool yarns can bother my fingers, I enjoyed my experience knitting the Lanaloft. If you’re in the market for worsted weight wool, this is an excellent choice.
Plus, check out the Beauty of a Basketweave Hat, which is made using just one skein of this yarn!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Chance to win Wildfoote Luxury Sock Yarn!
- Win Purl Soho Mulberry Merino Yarn!
- Win James C. Brett Marble Chunky Yarn!
- Enter to win Bernat Mega Bulky Yarn!
- Chance to win Red Heart Super Saver!
- Chance to Win a Bundle of Paintbox Yarn Cotton DK Yarn!
- Win Two Skeins of Bernat Sox Yarn!
- Win a Martina Cardigan Knitting Kit!
- 10 Super Fine Yarns to Knit With
- Enter to win Bernat Blanket Yarn!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- The Top 5 Knitting Blogs for Beginners
- Special Free Lacy Scarf Knit Pattern
- Quick & Super Easy Sleep Sock Pattern
- Azalea Top-Down Lace Sweater
- Diagonal Knit Square
- Simple Sage Handkerchief
- Connect the Dots
- Lacy Chevron Baby Blanket
- Seed Stitch Cable Headband
- Celestial Cuffs
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You