Burly Spun Yarn
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Burly Spun Yarn
Reviewed by Arielle Matlin, Editor, AllFreeKnitting.com
With the cold arctic air it only seems natural to want to snuggle up in a warm crochet blanket made with thick, bulky yarn. Brown Sheep has a line called Burly Spun that is made of 100% wool at 132 yards and 8 ounces; with such a bulky yarn you can easily work up an afghan in no time.
Burly Spun is a smooth, single-ply super bulky yarn that can be knit, crocheted or woven with; you might also find that it's fun for needle felting as well. Spun from 100% USA wool, dyed in 31 solid colors and 8 hand-painted colors, this yarn is great for anyone who wants to work up a quick project. Within those many color choices mentioned previously, you'll see names like Wild Oak, Orange You Glad, Precious Lavender, Prairie Fire, Caribbean Waves, Baby Blush and so much more.
If you're looking for something with instant gratification then you're going to fall in love with Burly Spun. Making a top down sweater? You only need 4 skeins for that! You can work up sweaters, hats, scarves, crochet bags, cowls, baby sets and so much more. The yarn itself feels a bit rough to the touch, but for a wool yarn it's actually quite soft. It's thick, but there's actually not a lot of drape, which is nice. The packaging suggests size 13 needles, but you may get away with using size 15.
What some may or may not like about this yarn is that it is permanently mothproofed, meaning a non-insecticide chemical is applied to the yarn. It's added to the dye bath and is permanent in the sense that it will not wash, rub or dry clean off the wool. If you keep your yarn in storage you can remain worry-free of those pesky moths. With fabulous color choices and the warmth of this squishy yarn, I can't wait for you to try it out!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
The name says it all when it comes to these Unbelievably Easy Cabled Ear Warmers. Cabling is one of the easiest things you can do in… Continue reading: "Unbelievably Easy Cabled Ear Warmers"
- Chance to Win a We Are Knitters Classic Knit Sweater Kit!
- Chance to Win a Bundle of Bernat Maker Big Yarn!
- Martha Stewart Crafts Knit & Weave Loom Kit
- Chance to win the Trekker Knitting Bag!
- Chance to Win a Bundle of Paintbox Yarn Cotton DK Yarn!
- Chance to Win a Bundle of Sparkle DK Yarn!
- Win James C. Brett Marble Chunky Yarn!
- Martha Stewart Crafts Alpaca Blend Yarn
- Enter to win Sweet Roll Yarn!
- Enter for a chance to win ChiaoGoo Red Lace Circular Needles!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Roositud Knitting 101
- We Are Knitters Classic Knit Sweater Kit
- How to knit Twisted Moss Stitch
- Fall Houses Lace Shawl
- Scandinavian Infinity Scarf
- Hooded Vest Pattern for Women
- Ribbed Shawlette
- Riona's Diamonds
- Easy Knit Pumpkin
- Large Pumpkin Knitting Pattern
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You