- see all comments
"I am having trouble too. Did you get an answer?"
"I am having the same problem. Did you get an answer?"
"The notated gauge on this page is wrong, the correct gauge is stated in the pattern as 22 sts = 4' with dk yarn."
Cabled Christmas Stocking
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Click here to view your Knitting Patterns.
This printable Christmas stocking pattern will get you in the holiday spirit. Knit the Cabled Christmas stocking for a holiday decoration that you'll always treasure. Nothing feels better than cuddling up with some knitting needles and yarn on a cold, snowy day. Get wrapped up in cozy cables with this free knitted stocking pattern. This stocking looks like your favorite comfy, bulky Christmas sweater that you wear every year. This pattern is perfect for the experienced knitter who has a few hours to sit, knit, and watch the snow fall.
Knitting Needle Size9 or 5.5 mm
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge17 stitches, 22 rows, 4 inches. stockinette stitch
- Simply Soft (170 g/6. oz;288 m/315 yds) A Autumn Red (9730) 1 Ball
- Simply Soft (170 g/6. oz;288 m/315 yds) B Dark Sage (9707) 1 Ball
- Simply Soft (170 g/6. oz;288 m/315 yds) C Sage (9705) 1 Ball
- Single Point Aluminum Knitting Needles 14" Size 9/5.5mm
- Plastic Curved Cable Needles 3/Pkg
- Bent Tip Steel Yarn Needles Sizes 13 & 16 2/Pkg
- Row counter
- In Stockinette stitch, 17 sts and 22 rows = 4"/10 cm
- In Aran Cable Braid pattern, 20 sts and 25 rows = 4"/10 cm
Measurements: Approximately 7"/18 cm wide x 16"/40.5 cm tall (top to heel)
- C4B = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then K2 from cable needle
- C4F = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K2, then K2 from cable needle
Wrap and Turn (wrp-t): (RS) Yarn forward (to the purl position), slip next st to right-hand needle, yarn back (to the knit position), return slipped st (which is now wrapped), to left-hand needle; turn, leaving remaining sts unworked.
Short Row Shaping: Work the number of sts indicated in the instructions, wrp-t; return to starting point. Continue to work progressively longer OR shorter rows as indicated in the instructions; work wraps together with wrapped sts as you come to them.
Stockinette stitch (St st)
Aran Cable Braid Pattern (panel of 70 sts) - see Chart
Rows 1 and 5: P2, [C4B, p2] twice, k2, C4B, k2, [p2, C4B] twice, p8, C4B, p2, k2, C4B, k2, p2, C4B, p8.
Row 2 and all WS rows: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Row 3: P2, [k4, p2] twice, [C4F] twice, [p2, k4] twice, p8, k4, p2, [C4F] twice, p2, k4, p8.
Rows 7 and 9: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Row 10: Repeat Row 2.
Repeat Rows 1 – 10 for Cable patt.
Using C, CO 62 sts.
(RS) Begin St st; work even for 5 rows, end with a RS row.
(WS) Turning Row: Knit 1 row.
(RS) Continuing in St st, work even for 6 rows.
(RS) Change to B; continuing in St st, work even for 5 rows, end with a RS row.
(WS) Change to A; work 1 row, increasing 8 sts evenly across—70 sts.
(RS) Change to Cable pattern; work Rows 7-10 once, then work even for 66 rows, repeating Rows 1-10; end with a WS row.
Continuing in Cable patt, dec 1 st each side every other row twice—66 sts remain.
(RS) For upper foot, k33, leave these sts unworked while shaping Heel.
Change to St st; begin Short Row shaping, working across to last 2 sts, wrp-t for each row until 15 sts remain.
Reverse the Short Row shaping by working across picking up 1 more st each row, working wraps together with wrapped st, until all sts are being worked—33 sts; end with a WS row.
(RS) Continuing in St st on lower foot and continuing in Cable patt on upper foot (see photo), work across all sts— 66 sts.
Work even as established for 20 rows.
(RS) Work same as for Heel.
Bind off sts, and sew upper and lower sts together OR leave live and graft upper and lower sts together.
Sew side seam.
Turn Cuff to WS along turning row; sew top edge neatly in place.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Cut 6 strands of yarn 75" long. Twist tightly clockwise until strands kink. Fold in half, allowing yarn to twist around itself counterclockwise. Secure end with a knot to form a tassel. Trim.
Using C, make a 26" long twisted cord and attach to bottom of Cuff, forming tasseled end into loop for a hanger (see photo).
Cabled Christmas Stocking Charts
Read NextPartridge in a Pear Tree Ornaments
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Bunny and Bear Knit Toy
Who says you always have to knit baby booties and baby blankets for baby showers? Have a little fun with your next "expecting-mother"… Continue reading: "Bunny and Bear Knit Toy"
- Partridge in a Pear Tree Ornaments
- 27+ Knit Christmas Tree Ornament Patterns
- Knit Douglas Fir Dishcloth
- DIY Santa Hat Pattern
- Holiday Sweater Wreath
- Knit Mittens as Ornaments
- Super Sweet Santa Baby Sweater
- Tiny Tree Ornaments
- Looking for Christmas decoration knitting patterns? Free patterns like these are just the way to spread holiday cheer in your home.
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas eBook
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Spider Fingerless Gloves
- Waffle Stitch Kitchen Towel
- Free Knitting Pattern - Minimalist Round Toe Slippers
- Vertical Stripe Toque, Touque, Or Beanie Hat
- Turban Hat For Beginners
- Double Moss Stitch Dishcloth
- Easy Dishcloth
- Trento Fingerless Gloves
- Two Needles Classic Beret
- All Too Well Scarf Pattern
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You