This knit Christmas ornament is the ultimate gift for any yarn lover. Adorn your tree with your passion for knitting with this Yarnie Ornament. Knit a little knitting basket and wind teeny balls of yarn for a miniature yarn stash that you'll be sure to love. You can even make tiny knitting needles. While knitters know that needles are the way to go, you could even make a little hook and make a gift for the crochet lover in your life. Make several of these adorable DIY ornament for your own tree or give a few as gifts to the ladies in your knitting club.
Knitting Needle Size9 or 5.5 mm
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge stitches, rows, inches.
- STITCH NATION by Debbie Stoller™ Full o’ Sheep™: 1 ball each
- STITCH NATION by Debbie Stoller™ Full o’ Sheep™: 1 ball 2205 Little Lamb A
- STITCH NATION by Debbie Stoller™ Full o’ Sheep™: 1 ball 2925 Passionfruit B
- STITCH NATION by Debbie Stoller™ Full o’ Sheep™: 1 ball 2640 Thyme C
- STITCH NATION by Debbie Stoller™ Full o’ Sheep™: 1 ball 2910 Poppy D
- STITCH NATION by Debbie Stoller™ Full o’ Sheep™: 1 ball 2510 Aquamarine E
- Knitting Needles: 5.5mm [US 9]
- Yarn needle
- 2 toothpicks
- 2 round beads
- Craft glue
Gauge: Gauge is not critical for this project.
Measurements: Finished basket measures 3½” x 3”.
- A, B, C = colors A, B, C
- K = knit
- mm = millimeters
- p = purl
- st(s) = stitch (es)
- * or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated
Seed St (Worked over an odd number of sts)
Row 1: K1 * p1, k1; repeat from * across.
Repeat Row 1 for Seed st.
With A, cast on 19 sts. Marking first row as the right side, work in Seed st until piece measures 2½” from beginning, end by working a wrong side row.
Divide for Handle: Bind off first 8 sts, continue in pattern over next 3 sts (including st on needle after bind-off) for basket handle, bind off remaining 8 sts.
Join yarn to remaining sts and work even until handle measures 4” or desired length for hanging. Bind off.
Fold basket in half and sew side seam. Sew end of handle to top edge of basket at seam. Sew bottom seam.
Wind off a small ball (about 1” in diameter) each of B, C, D and E and arrange in basket. Pin or glue ends in place. Glue bead to tip of each toothpick for knitting needles and place in basket as desired.
Read NextTiny Tree Ornaments