We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
The Constance Sleeveless Top is a great way to stay cool and still look stylish. The neutral cream color and traditional design give this knit top pattern a completely versatile look. You won't be able to resist this free knitting pattern for summer. However, you can truly wear this piece all year round. During the colder months, simply layer a blazer or cardigan on top or wear it with bare arms for those warmer days. However you style this knitted tank top, you are sure to enjoy the subtle details and sturdy construction. The detail on the front of this piece really makes it stand out from the crowd.
To fit bust: 81, 86, 91, 97 cm, 32, 34, 36, 38 in
Actual size: 81, 86, 91, 97 cm, 32, 34, 36, 38 in
Finished length: 52, 53, 55, 56 cm, 20½, 21, 21¾, 22 in
Also check sizing diagram for actual measurements.
Knitting Needle Size2 or 2.75 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight(1) Super Fine (27-32 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge27 sts and 38 rows = 10 x 10 cm [4 x 4 in] over st st using 2.75 mm (US 2) needles. Please work swatch and check carefully. If necessary, change size of needles to obtain correct tension.
- Artesano 4 ply Alpaca SFN10 Cream 3(4:4:4) x 50 gm (50 gm = 184 m/202 yds).
- 1 pair of 2.5 mm [US 1.5] needles
- 1 pair of 2.75 mm [US 2] needles
- Circular needle 2.5 mm/60 cm [US 1.5/23.5 in]
- Stitch holders
Row 1 (RS): M1 at front center, mark it with a thread.
Work 27 row.
Row 28 (RS): k until 5 sts rem to marker, M1, k11, M1, knit to end. Mark new sts. Work 27 row.
Row 55 (RS): k until 5 sts rem to marker, M1, k23, M1, knit to end. Mark new sts. Work 27 row.
Row 82 (RS): k until 5 sts rem to marker, M1, k35, M1, knit to end. Mark new sts = 7 marked sts with 5 sts between each. If you prefer unravel sts during the work be sure to M1 again in the same place.
Using 2.5 mm (US 1.5) needles cast on 120(126:132:140) sts. Row 1 (WS): 1 selvedge st, *k1, p1, rep from * to last st, 1 selvedge st.
Cont in 1x1 rib for 5 rows ending with RS facing for next row. Change to 2.75 mm (US 2) needles. Beg with a K row and at the same time dec 1 st on each side within selvedge st.
Cont in st st and work straight until back meas 8 cm [3 in], ending with RS facing for next row.
Shape sides (RS): dec 1 st on each side within selvedge st. Rep dec on every foll 28th row 3 times = 110(116:122:130) sts.
Work straight until back meas 32(33:34:35) cm [12½(13:13½:13¾ in], ending with RS facing for next row.
Cast off 6(7:8:9) sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Cast off 2 sts at beg of next 2 rows 2(3:3:4) times.
Next row (RS) dec:1 selvedge st, k1, k2tog, knit until 4 sts rem, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, 1 selvedge st. Rep dec on foll 7 alt rows = 74(76:78:80) sts. Work straight until armhole meas 13(13:14:14) cm [5(5:5½:5½) in], ending with RS facing for next row.
Next row (RS): knit 22(23:23:24) sts and turn, leaving rem sts on holder. Work each side of neck separately. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next and foll alt row. Work 1 row. Cast off 2 sts at beg of next row. Work 1 row. Dec 1 st on foll 5 alt row, then on 2 foll 4th rows = 7(8:8:9) sts. Work straight until armhole meas 20(20:21:21) cm [8(8:8¼:8¼ in]. Leave sts on holder, end with yarn at armhole edge. Slip centre 30(30:32:32) sts on holder. With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, knit to end. Complete to match first side, reversing shapings.
Work as for back until front meas 8 cm [3 in] ending with RS facing for next row. Mark center. Begin ladder patt as described above. Cont in patt and work as for back until armhole meas 5(5:6:6) cm [2(2:2½:2½ in] ending with RS facing for next row
Next row (RS): knit 22(23:23:24) sts and turn, leaving rem sts on holder. Work each side of neck separately. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next row. Work 1 row. Cast off 2 sts at beg of next row. Work 1 row. Dec 1 st on foll 5 alt row, then on 3 foll 4th rows, then on 2 foll 6th rows = 7(8:8:9) sts. Work straight until armhole meas 20(20:21:21) cm [8(8:8¼:8¼ in]. Leave sts on holder, end with yarn at armhole edge. Slip centre 37(37:39:39) sts (incl. 7 sts in patt) on holder. With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, knit to end. Complete to match first side, reversing shapings.
Knit shoulders tog. Place back and front RS facing. Place sts on larger needles. Beg at armhole and use a third larger needle to k1 st from each needle together casting off simultaneously.
Slip holder sts on needles. With RS facing, using circular needle 2.5 mm (US 1.5), start pick up and knit 82(82:90:90) sts from back neck and 122(122:130:130) sts from front neck at the same time unravel 7 marked sts in patt back down to beg of the ladder = 204(204:220:220) sts.
Work in 1x1 rib for 4 rounds.
Cast off in rib.
Armhole borders (both alike)
With RS facing, using 2.5 mm (US 1.5) needles, pick up and knit 128(132:140:144) sts evenly all round armhole edge. Work in 1x1 rib in 4 rounds. Cast off in rib on RS. Sew side seams within selvedge st. Block the garment to correct measurements, cover with a damp cloth and let dry.
- Selvedge st
- purl first st and knit last st tbl (through back of loop) on all rows
- Side inc (M1)
- Pick up horizontal loop before next stitch and knit into back of it
- M1 in pattern
- Pick up horizontal loop before next stitch and knit into front of it
- 1x1 rib
- * k1, p1, rep from * to end. Work K on K stitches and P on P stitches
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Classic Vintage Pullover
- Women’s Short Sleeve Sweater Knitting Pattern
- Crop Top Sweater Knitting Pattern
- Lumberjackie Cropped Vintage Style Sweater
- Easy Big Knit Blanket Sweater
- Big Comfy Sweater
- Thick & Quick Fall Top Knitting Pattern
- Mom's Classic Sweater
- Painted Lady Sweater
- Favorite Fashion Sweater Pattern
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Rainbow Ruffle Cowl
- Nordic-Inspired Knit Sweater
- Lovely Lattices Infinity Scarf
- Strawberry Seed Baby Sweater
- Strawberry Seed Baby Booties
- Easy Christmas Trees
- What to Knit With Linen Yarn
- Little Red Riding Hood/Wolf in Granny’s Clothing
- Free Knitting Patterns by Needle Size
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You