Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3
More Modern Top-Down Knitting
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
More Modern Top-Down Knitting: 24 Garments Based on Barbara G. Walker's 12 Top-Down Templates
Written by KRistina McGowan
Provided by Abrams Books
Reviewed by Audrey Huggett
Knitting top-down patterns is a great way to familiarize yourself with what pattern shape best fits your body; one of the strengths of top down patterns is that you are able to try on the garment as you work it. In More Modern Top-Down Knitting: 24 Garments Based on Barbara G. Walker’s 12 Top-Down Templates, Kristina McGowan explores the world of top-down knitting. Packed with an engaging variety of knitting patterns, this book is a delight for knitters interested in becoming more familiar with top-down knitting patterns.
Each pattern contains charts, extensive diagrams, and multiple color photos. The book is easy to read, and does a good job at giving knitters an up-close look at the more difficult details of each pattern. McGowan has created a collection of patterns that will be a pleasure to knit. McGowan’s sweaters are particularly impressive. Each sweater has a classic look, without over doing it on the design elements. There are patterns in More Modern Top-Down Knitting that will suit any knitter’s tastes and abilities. I liked that McGowan included patterns for relatively plain sweaters; it’s something you don’t often see, but it is a very practical move. I know I don’t want all of the sweaters in my wardrobe to be insanely cabled creations.
Though sweaters are typically associated with top-down knitting, there are other garments you can knit in that fashion as well. McGowan includes fashionable patterns for hats, skirts, and even knitted pants. These patterns do a wonderful job at showing just how you can skillfully include knitted garments into your existing wardrobe. Every pattern would be at home in a day-to-day wardrobe.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
This beautiful knit infinity scarf pattern is the perfect addition to your pile of knit accessories. The Lace and Mohair Infinity… Continue reading: "Lace and Mohair Infinity Scarf"
- Loom Knitting With the All-n-One Loom
- Car Seat Blankets
- Enter to win a copy of Knit Superheroes!
- 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory
- Win a copy of "Fun and Fantastical Slippers to Knit!"
- Loom Knitting Pattern Book
- More Modern Top-Down Knitting
- Spa & Bath Sets to Knit
- Enter to win a copy of Knitted Wraps & Cover-Ups!
- Chunky Knits: 31 Projects for You & Your Home Knit with Bulky Yarn
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Simple Braids Hat
- Quick Round Scrubby
- Kenai Skyline Shawl
- Tiny Topaz Premature Baby Cardigan
- Triangles Baby Blanket
- 36 100-Yard Knitting Patterns
- Chateau Knit Cowl
- Eos Lip Balm Holder
- Meshy Squishy Toque
- Paintbox Yarns Wool Mix Aran Yarn
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You