Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3
More Modern Top-Down Knitting
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
More Modern Top-Down Knitting: 24 Garments Based on Barbara G. Walker's 12 Top-Down Templates
Written by KRistina McGowan
Provided by Abrams Books
Reviewed by Audrey Huggett
Knitting top-down patterns is a great way to familiarize yourself with what pattern shape best fits your body; one of the strengths of top down patterns is that you are able to try on the garment as you work it. In More Modern Top-Down Knitting: 24 Garments Based on Barbara G. Walker’s 12 Top-Down Templates, Kristina McGowan explores the world of top-down knitting. Packed with an engaging variety of knitting patterns, this book is a delight for knitters interested in becoming more familiar with top-down knitting patterns.
Each pattern contains charts, extensive diagrams, and multiple color photos. The book is easy to read, and does a good job at giving knitters an up-close look at the more difficult details of each pattern. McGowan has created a collection of patterns that will be a pleasure to knit. McGowan’s sweaters are particularly impressive. Each sweater has a classic look, without over doing it on the design elements. There are patterns in More Modern Top-Down Knitting that will suit any knitter’s tastes and abilities. I liked that McGowan included patterns for relatively plain sweaters; it’s something you don’t often see, but it is a very practical move. I know I don’t want all of the sweaters in my wardrobe to be insanely cabled creations.
Though sweaters are typically associated with top-down knitting, there are other garments you can knit in that fashion as well. McGowan includes fashionable patterns for hats, skirts, and even knitted pants. These patterns do a wonderful job at showing just how you can skillfully include knitted garments into your existing wardrobe. Every pattern would be at home in a day-to-day wardrobe.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Enter to win a copy of Knit Superheroes!
- Car Seat Blankets
- Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 5
- Sock-Yarn Shawls: 15 Lacy Knitted Shawl Patterns
- Enter for a chance to win a copy of The Big Book of Knit Stitches!
- 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory
- Spa & Bath Sets to Knit
- Enter to win a copy of Knitted Wraps & Cover-Ups!
- Chunky Knits: 31 Projects for You & Your Home Knit with Bulky Yarn
- Heart Felt Knits: 25 Fresh and Modern Felting Projects
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- What Can I Knit With 600 Yards of Yarn?
- Sunset Blanket
- Brown Sheep Lanaloft Yarn
- Extended Triangle Wrap
- Sophia's Knit Blanket
- Easy Knit Scarf
- Gentle Swells
- Easy To Knit Slippers
- What Can I Knit With 500 Yards of Yarn?
- Cable Knit Slippers For Childen And Adults
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You