How to Sew Up a Knitted Hat
With this easy-to-follow tutorial, learn a basic skill in knitting: how to sew up a flat hat.
You've finally finished your third scarf, your kitchen cabinets are full of dishcloths, and you're cozying up in your knitted blanket just about every night to watch the newest season of your favorite show. It's time, you think to yourself, to finally try knitting a hat. You'll be happy to hear it's really not much more difficult than scarves, dishcloths, and blankets. The only problem is that you're not comfortable knitting in the round, or you just don't like to. Luckily, learning how to sew up a knitted hat is also super simple.
Like any other project, the simpler the stitch, the easier it will be to learn how to sew a knitted hat together. We recommend, if it's your first time knitting a flat hat, starting with something bulky and using stockinette stitch. The pattern in the video below is a perfect starting point, but feel free to pick another pattern if it isn't your jam; the same general rules apply when it comes to seaming up a knitted hat.
Sign up for our free email newsletter for more amazing patterns!
Before we get to our collection of flat knit hat patterns, let's learn how to flat knit a hat and how to sew up a knitted hat with this easy pattern on jumbo yarn and size 35 needles.
How to Sew a Knitted Hat Together: Video Tutorial
What You'll Need:
- A tapestry needle with an eye large enough to accommodate the yarn weight you used for your hat
- Break the tail of your yarn and feed it through the last stitches, right to left, to secure it.
- Carefully pull out the needle and pull it tight for the bind-off like a drawstring.
- With the wrong side facing you, bring the edges of the hat together. Your bind-off yarn will be on the right side of the project.
- Bring the bind-off yarn underneath the entire 'v' of the first stitch on the left side, from right to left.
- Carry the yarn over the top back to the right side, and bring it through the next stitch on the right side, from right to left.
- Bring the bind-off yarn underneath the entire 'v' of the next stitch on the left side, from right to left.
- Repeat steps 5-6 until you've worked the last stitch on both sides of your hat.
- Secure your yarn and weave your tail through the wrong side.
- Flip your hat right side-out!
Flat Knit Hat Patterns + More!
Now that you know how to sew a knitted hat together, it's time to pick your pattern! Though you have your pick of a ton of free knitting patterns for hats on straight needles, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind while choosing your next project. Firstly, consider the kind of environment in which you live. Next, will you actually wear this hat? Finally, are you knitting for yourself, or a loved one? I highly recommend knitting your first hat for yourself so you get used to hat knitting before giving one away as a gift. Always practice on yourself!
In our collection of 26 Straight Needle Knitting Patterns You Need, you'll find over a dozen flat knit hat patterns to try, as well as some other two-needle knitting patterns if you're feeling adventurous.
What's the first pattern you'll try now that you know how to sew a knitted hat together?
Read NextWinter Cable Knit Beanie Pattern