8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
Prayer Shawls for Charity Drive 2019
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
AllFreeCrochet and AllFreeKnitting love making a difference through knit and crochet. We’ve hosted a number of different charity drives in the past, and we are excited to announce our next charity initiative -- Prayer Shawls for Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL!
From November 1st to December 1st, 2019, we will be collecting your prayer shawls to donate to Rush.
Share Your Progress: We'd love to see how your shawls are coming along. Post your progress on social media with the hashtag #YarnItForward!
By crocheting or knitting a prayer shawl for someone in need, you will be helping provide a bit of comfort to those who need it most. The shawls provide patients with warmth and a comforting embrace during difficult times. It lets them know that someone cares and it gives them hope of recovery and peace.
Something so simple can be the brightest thing that has happened to the patient in some time, as many have often driven from great distances for treatment and have nothing comforting from home with them.
That's where you come in, knitters and crocheters!
We need your help in providing patients at Rush with knit and crochet prayer shawls. Whether you work up a quick and simple one-color shawl or channel all the brightness of a rainbow into your design, think warm thoughts of peace and hope while you do it. Once you finish your design, send it over to us! We'll be collecting all of your knit and crochet shawls to donate.
When Is the Charity Drive?
The 2019 Charity Shawl Drive will take place November 1st through December 1st.
What Are the Requirements?
We really couldn’t have made it easier! Knit or crochet a shawl, big enough to comfort someone, and weave a few warm and healing thoughts into it as you work. Then, box it up and send it to us. The only thing you MUST DO is put a slip of paper/card/giant sign/something INSIDE the box so we know who sent it. Information on the outside of the box does not count!
While we don't have any requirements for the size, color, or shape of the shawls, we do have a few other requirements for things we'd like to see in these shawls.
- Make sure the shawl is big enough to wrap around someone who may be sitting in a wheelchair or lying in a hospital bed.
- Please avoid wool and other exotic yarns as these may cause allergic reactions. We recommend cotton or acrylic yarns.
- Attach a short note with a warm thought or prayer! Many patients like to know who made the shawl for them, so be sure to add your first name and where you're from.
- Please include your name, address, phone number, and email address with your donation for contest entry.
Note: Your donation must be postmarked by December 1st for contest entry.
- Contest open to US/Canada residents age 18+ only. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited.
Where Do I Send My Shawl?
Knit your shawl and send it in, and you'll be entered to win a yarn lover's ultimate prize pack from Darn Good Yarn worth $300!
No shawl to make but still want to enter to win the exclusive yarn bundle?
Answer the question at the bottom of this page in the comments section below. Please note the giveaway begins November 1st, 2019 – comments will only be considered beginning then.
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. Commenting on this page will enter you for a chance to win the prize. Duplicate comments will be deleted and will not be tallied.
- The winner will be contacted by the e-mail address provided in their account. Please do NOT leave your e-mail address in the comments – you already provided it when you created your account.
- You have until December 1st, 2019 at 11:59 pm CST to leave your comment on this post. Comments submitted after the deadline will not be counted.
What Is a Prayer Shawl?
Prayer shawls are also commonly referred to as comfort shawls, peace shawls, mantles, etc. The shawl maker begins with prayers and blessings for the recipient and those intentions are continued throughout the creation of the shawl. Upon completion, a final blessing is offered before the shawl is given to the recipient.
At the end of the day, there's nothing better than being able to use your craft to make a difference in the community. Once you knit one of these beautiful and comforting shawls, both you and the recipient will be connected in a unique and powerful way.
Be sure to check out the helpful video tutorial below and learn what our friend Heidi Gustad has to say about knitting a prayer shawl for someone in need.
Help! I've Never Knitted a Shawl Before
What is your favorite comforting quote or thought?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
This wardrobe staple is just the pinnacle of beauty. The Waterfall Cardigan Knitting Pattern is knit on straight needles with a pale… Continue reading: "Waterfall Cardigan Knitting Pattern"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Criss Cross Baby Booties
- Bunny Squared – Make A Bunny From A Square
- Trellis Stitch Square With Heart Insert
- Tubular Bind Off Tutorial
- Tostata Triangle Scarf
- Simple Knit Wrap Bracelet
- Bianca Bookmark
- Beaded Bracelet Knitting Pattern
- Ribbed Bubble Hat
- Walkiria Kimono
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You