We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Whether you're hoping to find unique free knit patterns for Valentine's Day or if you're just in the market for a cute design to use with your favorite colors of scrap yarn, this Simple Sweater Mug Cozy fits the bill. Give your favorite tea or coffee drinker a thoughtful homemade gift that won't take hours to complete by presenting them with this mitten-and-sweater combination cup cozy. Have fun customizing this quick knit Valentine's Day gift idea with your own buttons, colors and embellishments.
Knitting Needle Size6 or 4 mm, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge21 sts and 27 rows = 4" [10 cm] in stocking st.
Finished SizeTo fit mug measurement: Approx 10¼" [26 cm] around x 4" [10 cm] tall
- Size 4 mm (U.S. G/6) crochet hook for ties
- Size 4 mm (U.S. 6) knitting needles. Set of four size 4 mm (U.S. 6) doublepointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
Lily Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds)
Main Color (MC) Jute (00082) 1 ball or 35 m/40 yds
Contrast A Soft Ecru (01004) 1 ball or 16 m/18 yds
Contrast B Country Red (01530) 1 ball or 5 m/6 yds
Note: 1 ball of MC, A and B will make 3 Cozies
- 4 small buttons
Looking for more designs made with love? Check out these 40+ Lovely Valentine's Day Knit Patterns
Left Front and Back: With A and pair of needles, cast on 35 sts.
**1st row: (WS). Knit.
2nd row: With MC, knit.
3rd row: P1. *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows for pat once more.
With A, rep last 2 rows once more. Break A.
With MC, cont in pat until work from beg measures 3¾" [9.5 cm], ending with a WS row.
Next row: (RS). With A, knit.
Cast off knitwise (WS).**
Button band: With RS facing and A, pick up and knit 18 sts down edge of Left Front.
Knit 2 rows.
Cast off knitwise (WS).
Right Front: With A and pair of needles, cast on 11 sts.
Work from ** to ** as given for Left Front and Back.
Buttonhole band: With RS facing and A, pick up and knit 18 sts up front side of Right Front.
1st row: (WS). K1. (K2tog. yo. K2) 4 times. K1.
2nd row: Knit.
Cast off knitwise (WS).
Sew buttons to correspond to buttonholes.
Arms (make 2).
With MC and double-pointed needles, cast on 10 sts. Divide sts onto 3 needles (4, 4, 2). Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
1st rnd: Knit.
2nd rnd: (K1. P1) 5 times.
Rep last 2 rnds until work from beg measures 2" [5 cm]. Break MC.
Mittens: 1st rnd: With A, knit.
2nd rnd: Purl. Break A.
3rd rnd: With B, K4. (Inc1 in next st) twice. K4. 12 sts.
Knit 2 rnds even.
Next rnd: K6. Turn. Cast on 3 sts (thumb). Cast off 3 sts. Pass last cast off st onto left-hand needle. Turn. Knit to end of rnd.
Knit 3 rnds even.
Next rnd: (K2tog) 6 times. Break yarn, leaving a long end. Draw end through rem sts. Pull tightly. Fasten securely.
Ties (make 6).
With A and crochet hook, ch 12. Fasten off.
Sew 1 Tie to each corner of Back. Sew 1 Tie spaced evenly between last 2 ties. Sew rem 3 Ties in same positions across side edge of Right Front.
Wrap Cozy around mug and knot Ties in position around mug handle as shown in picture.
Sew Arms to sides of Body. Sew Mittens to front of Body as shown in picture.
- Increase 1 stitch by knitting into front and back of next stitch
- Knit next 2 stitches together
- Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together.
- Wrong side
- Yarn over
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Quick knitting patterns are awesome because you get to reap the rewards of your knitting work almost immediately. This Quick Purple… Continue reading: "Quick Purple Knitted Ponchovideocam"
Knit Lemon Stress Ball
30 Two-Hour Knitting Patterns
20 Simple Knitting Patterns in Garter Stitch + 5 New
8 Lightning Fast Easy Knitting Patterns
Knitted Rose Cord Holder
Free Knitting Designs for Fall: 8 Knit Sweater Patterns, Scarves, Bags and More eBook
Stress Ball Buddies
37 of the Best Knit Gifts: Knitting Gifts You're Sure to Love
"Mother's Day Crafts for Adults: 9 Easy Knitting Projects for Mom" eBook
Simple Sweater Mug Cozy
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Paintbox Yarn Cotton DK Yarn
- Parachutes Cowl
- Chunky Chevron Fast Knit Baby Blanket
- Free Knitting Patterns for Babies
- Henley Knit Sweater Pattern
- 10 Must-Have Knitted Jacket Patterns
- Red Heart Hygge Yarn
- How Many Stitches to Cast On for a Hat
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You