We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Behold the perfect solution for a boring holiday tablescape. The Nordic Holiday Centerpiece is the one of those DIY holiday decorations that offers timeless elegance, traditional design, and festive cheer to any home. These wintery ball-shaped centerpieces are the perfect accompaniment to a holiday feast or spontaneous winter get-together. The Nordic Holiday Centerpiece is sure to become a fixture in your home for Christmases to come.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® With Love®: 1 skein (370 yd; 338m) 1621 Evergreen OR 1909 Holly Berry A, and 1 skein 1101 Eggshell B.
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 5mm [US 8] set of 4 double pointed knitting needles.
- One 4” (10 cm) Styrofoam® ball covered with plastic wrap
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 17 sts = 4” (10 cm); 21 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette st worked in rnds (knit every round) in color pattern.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
A, and B = Color A and Color B
k = knit
k2tog = knit next 2 sts together
st(s) = sttich(es)
[ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified
* = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
Holiday ball measures 4” (10 cm) diameter
M1 = Make 1 (Increase) – Lift strand between needles to left-hand needle and knit strand through the back loop, twisting it to prevent a hole.
1. Holiday ball cover is worked in rounds on double pointed needles. The pattern is repeated 3 times in each round (once on each needle).
2. Styrofoam® ball is easier to insert into cover if first covered with plastic wrap.
NORDIC HOLIDAY BALL COVER
With A, leaving a long beginning tail, cast on 12 sts. Divide sts evenly onto 3 double pointed needles (4 sts on each needle). Place marker for beginning of round. Join to work in the round, being careful not to twist.
Round 1: Knit.
Round 2: [K1, M1, k2, M1, k1] 3 times—18 sts.
Round 3: [K2, M1, K2, M1, k2] 3 times—24 sts.
Round 4: [K3, M1, k2, M1, k3] 3 times— 30 sts.
Round 5: Knit.
Round 6: [K1, M1, k8, M1, k1] 3 times—36 sts.
Round 7: [K2, M1, k8, M1, k2] 3 times—42 sts.
Round 8: [K3, M1, k8, M1, k3] 3 times—48 sts.
Round 9: Knit.
Round 10: [K1, M1, k14, M1, k1] 3 times— 54 sts.
Round 11: Knit.
Charted Color Pattern
Note: Color pattern can be worked by following written instructions or reading chart. Read all rows of chart from right to left.
Round 1: *With B, k1; [with A, k1; with B, k2] twice; with A, k1; with B, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 2: *With A, k1; with B, k1; with A, k1; with B, k3; with A, k1; with B, k1; with A, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 3: With A, knit.
Round 4: *With B, k1; with A, k2; repeat from * around.
Round 5: *With A, k1; with B, k1; [with A, k2; with B, k1] twice, with A, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 6: *With A, k2; with B, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 7: Repeat Round 4.
Round 8: With A, knit.
Round 9: Repeat Round 2.
Round 10: Repeat Round 1. Cut B.
Round 11: With A, knit.
Continue with A only.
Round 1: [K1, k2tog, k12, k2tog, k1] 3 times—48 sts.
Round 2: Knit.
Round 3: [K1, k2tog, k10, k2tog, k1] 3 times—42 sts.
Round 4: Knit.
Round 5: [K1, k2tog, k8, k2tog, k1] 3 times—36 sts.
Round 6: Knit.
Round 7: [K1, k2tog, k6, k2tog, k1] 3 times—30 sts.
Round 8: Knit.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. With yarn needle thread tail through remaining 30 stitches removing the stitches from knitting needle.
Slip cover over Styrofoam® ball and pull on tail to tighten cover and close top opening. With yarn needle, thread beginning tail through base of cast-on stitches and pull on tail to tighten cover and close opening.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
This Black Lace Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern is such a unique knitted fingerless gloves pattern. The black color is muted and… Continue reading: "Black Lace Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern"
Christmas Tree Knit Scrubby
Partridge in a Pear Tree Ornaments
27+ Knit Christmas Tree Ornament Patterns
Tiny Tree Ornaments
20+ Free Christmas Knitting Patterns
30+ DIY Christmas Gifts: A Knit Gift Guide
18 Christmas Stocking Patterns
Super Sweet Santa Baby Sweater
Christmas Stocking Dishcloth
A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas eBook
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How to Knit Jogless Stripes
- Paintbox Yarn Cotton DK Yarn
- Parachutes Cowl
- Chunky Chevron Fast Knit Baby Blanket
- Free Knitting Patterns for Babies
- Henley Knit Sweater Pattern
- 10 Must-Have Knitted Jacket Patterns
- Red Heart Hygge Yarn
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You