We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Behold the perfect solution for a boring holiday tablescape. The Nordic Holiday Centerpiece is the one of those DIY holiday decorations that offers timeless elegance, traditional design, and festive cheer to any home. These wintery ball-shaped centerpieces are the perfect accompaniment to a holiday feast or spontaneous winter get-together. The Nordic Holiday Centerpiece is sure to become a fixture in your home for Christmases to come.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® With Love®: 1 skein (370 yd; 338m) 1621 Evergreen OR 1909 Holly Berry A, and 1 skein 1101 Eggshell B.
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 5mm [US 8] set of 4 double pointed knitting needles.
- One 4” (10 cm) Styrofoam® ball covered with plastic wrap
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 17 sts = 4” (10 cm); 21 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette st worked in rnds (knit every round) in color pattern.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
A, and B = Color A and Color B
k = knit
k2tog = knit next 2 sts together
st(s) = sttich(es)
[ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified
* = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
Holiday ball measures 4” (10 cm) diameter
M1 = Make 1 (Increase) – Lift strand between needles to left-hand needle and knit strand through the back loop, twisting it to prevent a hole.
1. Holiday ball cover is worked in rounds on double pointed needles. The pattern is repeated 3 times in each round (once on each needle).
2. Styrofoam® ball is easier to insert into cover if first covered with plastic wrap.
NORDIC HOLIDAY BALL COVER
With A, leaving a long beginning tail, cast on 12 sts. Divide sts evenly onto 3 double pointed needles (4 sts on each needle). Place marker for beginning of round. Join to work in the round, being careful not to twist.
Round 1: Knit.
Round 2: [K1, M1, k2, M1, k1] 3 times—18 sts.
Round 3: [K2, M1, K2, M1, k2] 3 times—24 sts.
Round 4: [K3, M1, k2, M1, k3] 3 times— 30 sts.
Round 5: Knit.
Round 6: [K1, M1, k8, M1, k1] 3 times—36 sts.
Round 7: [K2, M1, k8, M1, k2] 3 times—42 sts.
Round 8: [K3, M1, k8, M1, k3] 3 times—48 sts.
Round 9: Knit.
Round 10: [K1, M1, k14, M1, k1] 3 times— 54 sts.
Round 11: Knit.
Charted Color Pattern
Note: Color pattern can be worked by following written instructions or reading chart. Read all rows of chart from right to left.
Round 1: *With B, k1; [with A, k1; with B, k2] twice; with A, k1; with B, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 2: *With A, k1; with B, k1; with A, k1; with B, k3; with A, k1; with B, k1; with A, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 3: With A, knit.
Round 4: *With B, k1; with A, k2; repeat from * around.
Round 5: *With A, k1; with B, k1; [with A, k2; with B, k1] twice, with A, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 6: *With A, k2; with B, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 7: Repeat Round 4.
Round 8: With A, knit.
Round 9: Repeat Round 2.
Round 10: Repeat Round 1. Cut B.
Round 11: With A, knit.
Continue with A only.
Round 1: [K1, k2tog, k12, k2tog, k1] 3 times—48 sts.
Round 2: Knit.
Round 3: [K1, k2tog, k10, k2tog, k1] 3 times—42 sts.
Round 4: Knit.
Round 5: [K1, k2tog, k8, k2tog, k1] 3 times—36 sts.
Round 6: Knit.
Round 7: [K1, k2tog, k6, k2tog, k1] 3 times—30 sts.
Round 8: Knit.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. With yarn needle thread tail through remaining 30 stitches removing the stitches from knitting needle.
Slip cover over Styrofoam® ball and pull on tail to tighten cover and close top opening. With yarn needle, thread beginning tail through base of cast-on stitches and pull on tail to tighten cover and close opening.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
This beautiful knit infinity scarf pattern is the perfect addition to your pile of knit accessories. The Lace and Mohair Infinity… Continue reading: "Lace and Mohair Infinity Scarf"
Grandma's Favorite Holiday Afghan
27+ Knit Christmas Tree Ornament Patterns
Tiny Tree Ornaments
Super Sweet Santa Baby Sweater
Knit Mittens as Ornaments
A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas eBook
Spreading Christmas Cheer: 12 Knit Afghan Patterns + Pillows
18 Christmas Stocking Patterns
Smiling Snowman Jar Cozy
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Linen-Stitch Cowl in the Round
- How to Spool Knit
- Top Knot Love
- Sunny Meadow Corner-To-Corner Baby Blanket
- Gertrude Slouchy Hat
- 24 Free Knitting Patterns for Sock Weight Yarn
- Crop Top Sweater Knitting Pattern
- Herringbone Plant Pot Knitting Pattern
- Stockinette Stitch Plant Cozy Knitting Pattern
- Jute Stitch Plant Cozy Knitting Pattern
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You