We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
For socks with a special twist you can't go wrong with the Lacy Toe-Up Socks. These delightful socks can be worn around the house, or with low shoes to show off your hard work. A simple lace pattern up the side of this knit sock pattern adds a dressy air to this easily customizable pattern. Pick a brightly colored yarn to add a bit of sunshine to even the dreariest of days.
Knitting Needle Size1 or 2.25 mm
Yarn Weight(2) Fine (23-26 stitches to 4 inches)
Directions are for shoe sizes 7-8; changes for sizes (9-10, 11-12) are in parentheses.
- RED HEART® “Stardust™”: 2 (2, 3) balls 1252 Orange.
- Double Pointed Knitting Needles: 2.25mm [US 1].
- Crochet Hook: 2.25mm [US B-1].
- Yarn needle, smooth waste yarn.
GAUGE: 28 sts = 4” in St st. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
M1R (Make 1 right) = With left needle pick up horizontal strand between 2 sts from back to front and knit through the front loop.
M1L (Make 1 left) = With left needle pick up horizontal strand between 2 sts from front to back and knit through the back loop.
Ssk (Slip, slip, knit) = Slip next 2 sts, one at a time, knitwise, to right needle; insert point of left needle into the fronts of these 2 sts from left to right and knit them together from this position.
1. With waste yarn, put a slip-knot on the crochet hook.
2. Hold a double-pointed needle in your left hand and the crochet hook in your right hand. Hold the yarn in your left hand.
3. Put the double-pointed needle over the strand of yarn. With the crochet hook, draw a loop over the needle and through the slip-knot.
4. Place the yarn under the needle.
5. With the crochet hook, draw up a loop over the needle and through the stitch on the hook.
6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 until you have one stitch less than the required number.
7. Put the last loop from the crochet hook onto the needle. Cut the waste yarn leaving a 6” tail.
8. Begin knitting with sock yarn. Later, you will be removing the provisional cast-on by unraveling the crochet chain and placing each stitch on a double-pointed needle.
Sock (Begin at Toe)
With waste yarn and provisional cast-on, cast on 10 (12, 12) sts. Do not join. Purl 1 row with sock yarn. Work back and forth in St st for 6 rows ending with a Purl row. This is
Remove waste yarn and place these 10 (12, 12) sts on a spare needle. Begin knitting in the round: With right side facing, K10 (12, 12) sts from Needle #1; pick up and K2 sts across first half of side edge; with Needle #2, pick up and K2 sts across remaining side edge and K5 (6, 6) sts from cast-on edg knit; with Needle #3, knit remaining 5 (6, 6) sts from cast on edge, pick up and K2 sts across first half of side edge; with spare needle pick up and K2 sts across remaining side edge for Needle #1 – 28 (32, 32) sts.
Complete this round by knitting across remaining sts on Needle #1 and all sts on Needles #2 and #3 – 14 (16, 16) sts on Needle #1 and 7 (8, 8) sts each on Needles #2 and #3.
Needle #1: K1, M1R, knit to last st, M1L, K1;
Needle #2: K1, M1R, knit to end; Needle #3: knit to last st, M1L, K1 – 32 (36, 36) sts: 16 (18, 18) sts on Needle #1; 8 (9, 9) sts each on Needles #2 and #3.
Round 2: Knit.
Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until there are 48 (56, 64) sts in total.
Knit even every round until foot is desired length or 6.25 (6.75, 7.25)” from beginning.
Divide for Heel Flap
Knit across Needle #1. Divide 24 (28, 32) instep sts from Needle #1 onto 2 needles – 12 (14, 16) sts each needle.
Combine sole sts from Needles #2 and #3 onto one needle for 24 (28, 32) Heel sts and work Heel Flap:
Next Row: Sl 1 purl, purl to end.
Next Row: Sl 1 purl, knit to end.
Repeat last 2 rows 11 (13, 15) more times – 24 (28, 32) rows completed.
Row 1 (Wrong Side): Sl 1 P, P13 (15, 17), P2tog, P1, turn.
Row 2: Sl 1 P, K5, ssk, K1, turn.
Row 3: Sl 1 P, P6, P2tog over slip st and next st of last long row, P1, turn.
Row 4: Sl 1 P, K7, ssk over slip st and next st of last long row, K1, turn.
Row 5: Sl 1 P, P8, P2tog as before, P1, turn.
Row 6: Sl 1 P, K9, ssk as before, K1; turn.
Row 7: Sl 1 P, P10, P2tog, P1; turn.
Row 8: Sl 1 P, K11, ssk, K1; turn.
2nd and 3rd Sizes Only-Row 9: Sl 1 P, P12, P2tog, P1; turn.
Row 10: Sl 1 P, K13, ssk, K1; turn.
3rd Size Only-
Row 11: Sl 1 P, P14, P2tog, P1; turn.
Row 12: Sl 1 P, K15, P2tog, P1; turn
Row 9 (11, 13): Sl 1 P, P12 (14, 16, P2tog; turn.
Row 10 (12, 14): Sl 1 P, K12 (14, 16), ssk – 14 (16, 18) sts.
Needle #1 (already holding heel sts): pick up and K12 (14, 16) sts down side of heel flap; Needle #2: K12 (14, 16) sts from one instep needle and 12 (14, 16) sts from second instep needle; Needle #3: pick up and K12 (14, 16) sts up side of heel flap and then knit 7 (8, 9) sts from Needle #1 – 62 (72, 82) sts; there are 19 (22, 25) sts on Needles #1 and #3 and 24 (28, 32) sts on Needle #2.
Round 1: Needle #1: Knit to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1; Needle #2: Knit; Needle #3: K1, ssk, knit to end.
Round 2: Knit.
Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until 48 (56, 64) sts remain and there are 12 (14, 16) sts on Needles #1 and #3 and 24 (28,32) sts on Needle #1.
Round 1: * K1, yo, K1, K2tog; repeat from * around.
Round 2: Knit.
Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until leg measures 5.5” or 1.5” less than desired length. Change to K1, P1 ribbing for 1.5”.
Bind off in ribbing.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How Many Stitches to Cast On for an Infinity Scarf
- Carrot Cake Beanie
- All Fingers And Thumbs
- Easter Bunny Potholder
- Easter Bunny
- Bernat Super Value Yarn
- Simple Braids Hat
- Quick Round Scrubby
- Kenai Skyline Shawl
- Tiny Topaz Premature Baby Cardigan
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You