We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Cute baby outfits for Christmas are an absolute must for this holiday season. Dress your little one up in this Santa's Baby Elf ensemble. This matching baby hat and sweater pattern will keep your wee one bundled up against the cold. Dress up your new bundle of joy for their very first Christmas. If you plan to send out yearly holiday cards, start your new annual tradition with this darling outfit. Add peppermint buttons to this red and green ensemble for the perfect amount of holiday cheer.
Knitting Needle Size5 or 3.75 mm, 7 or 4.5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge20 stitches, 28 rows, 4 inches. stockinette stitch
- RED HEART® Soft®: 4420 Guacamole A, 1 (1, 2) balls
- RED HEART® Soft®: 5142 Cherry Red B, 1 (1, 2) balls
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 4.5mm [US 7] straight
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 16” (40.6 cm) circular
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: set of 4 doublepointed needles
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 3.75 mm [US 5] straight
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 16”(41 cm) circular needles
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 4.25 mm [US G-6]
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Three 1⁄2” buttons
Gauge: 20 sts = 4” (10 cm) and 28 rows = 4” (10 cm) in stockinette st using larger needles. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
- Directions are for size 3 months. Changes for sizes 6 and 9-12 months are in parentheses.
- Finished Chest: 20 (22, 24)” [51 (56, 61) cm].
- Finished Hat Circumference: 13 (13½, 14½)” [33 (34, 37) cm].
- ch= chain
- dc = double crochet
- k = knit
- k2tog = knit two stitches together
- p = purl
- sl = slip
- ssk = slip, slip, knit
- St st = stockinette stitch
- st(s) = stitch (es)
- yo = yarn over
- [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified
- * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
With larger needles and B, cast on 54 (58, 62) sts. Work in garter st (knit every row) for 5 rows, ending with a wrong side row.
Change to A and St st and work 6 (8, 10) rows.
Next (decrease) row (right side): K2, ssk, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1—2 sts decreased.
Repeat decrease row every 8th row 4 (0, 0) more times, then every 10th row 0 (4, 0) more times, then every 12th row 0 (0, 4) more times—44 (48, 52) sts.
Work even until piece measures 9½, (10, 10½)” [24 (25, 27) cm], ending with a wrong side row.
Bind off 3 (3, 3) sts at beginning of next 2 rows —38 (42, 46) sts. Work even until armholes measure 3½ (4, 4½)” [9 (10, 11) cm], ending with a wrong side row. Bind off.
With larger needles and B, cast on 26 (30, 34) sts. Work in garter st for 5 rows, ending with a wrong side row.
Change to A and St st and work 6 (8, 10) rows.
Next (decrease) row (right side): K1, ssk, knit to end—1 st decreased.
Repeat decrease row every 8th row 4 (0, 0) more times, then every 10th row 0 (4, 0) more times, then every 12th row 0 (0, 4) more times—21 (25, 29) sts.
Work even until piece measures 9., (10, 10.)” [24 (25, 27) cm], ending with a wrong side row.
Bind off 3 (3, 3) sts at beginning of next row—18 (22, 26) sts. Work even until armholes measure 1. (2, 2.)” [4 (5, 6) cm], ending with a right side row.
Bind off 4 (5, 6) sts at beginning of next row.
Decrease 1 st at neck edge every other row 4 (5, 6) times—10 (12, 14) sts.
Work even until armholes measure 3. (4, 4.)” [9 (10, 11) cm], ending with a wrong side row. Bind off.
Work as for Left Front, reversing all shaping.
With larger needles and B, cast on 36 (40, 44) sts. Work 5 rows of garter st, ending with a wrong side row.
Change to A and St st and work even until piece measures 5. (6, 6.)” [14 (15, 16) cm], ending with a wrong side row. Bind off.
Block pieces to measurements. Sew shoulder seams. Set in sleeves, sew side and sleeve seams.
With smaller needles and B, RS facing, beginning at Right Front neck, pick up and knit 50 (54, 58) sts. Knit 7 rows. Work in St st for 6 rows. Bind off.
With smaller needles and B, RS facing, pick up and knit 55 (57, 59) sts along center Left Front. Knit 6 rows. Bind off.
With smaller needles and B, RS facing, pick up and knit 55 (57, 59) sts along center Right
Front. Knit 2 rows.
Next row (wrong side): K3, yo, k2tog, *k6, yo, k2tog; repeat from * once, knit to end of row. Knit 3 rows. Bind off.
Weave in ends. Sew buttons opposite buttonholes.
With smaller circular needle and B, cast on 64 (68, 72) sts. Place marker and join, being careful not to twist. Work in garter st (knit 1 round, purl 1 round) for 7 rounds. Change to larger circular needle and A. Work in St st until piece measures 8 (9, 10)” [20 (23, 25) cm].
Note: Change to double-pointed needles when necessary.
Next (decrease) round: *K14 (15, 16), k2tog, place marker; repeat from * around—4 sts decreased.
Work in St st for 4 rounds.
Next (decrease) round: *Knit to 2 sts before marker, k2tog; repeat from * around—4 sts decreased.
Repeat last decrease round every 5 rounds until 8 sts remain. Cut yarn, draw through remaining sts, pull tight and secure.
With B, make a pompom using a small piece of cardboard or pompom maker. Sew to tip of hat.
Crochet Circles (make 20 or number desired)
With crochet hook and B, ch 4 and join into a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 7 dc in ring, join with a slip st to beginning ch-3.
Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in each dc around, join with a slip st. Fasten off.
Using photo as a guide, sew circles in place on sweater and hat as shown. Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- 8 Portable Knitting Projects for Travel
- Time stops at Shamli
- Women's Play Day Cardigan
- Linen-Stitch Cowl in the Round
- How to Spool Knit
- Top Knot Love
- Sunny Meadow Corner-To-Corner Baby Blanket
- Gertrude Slouchy Hat
- 24 Free Knitting Patterns for Sock Weight Yarn
- Crop Top Sweater Knitting Pattern
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You