Cozy Knit Shrug Pattern
If you're not a fan of the dainty look of most shrugs, or you're looking for something a little more durable and warming than your standard bolero, look no further than the Cozy Knit Shrug Pattern. This shrug knitting pattern for beginners is one of the quickest ways to whip up a comfy wearable for any season, since it uses large needles and super bulky yarn. The dusty pink color shown is perfect for a more feminine appeal, but a brown or a black version of this knit shrug pattern would be perfect for a wardrobe staple.
Notes1. Directions are for size Small. Changes for sizes Medium, Large, X-Large, and XX-Large are in parentheses.
2. Back is worked, back and forth in rows, in Garter stitch (knit every row).
3. Border is worked in 1x1 Rib worked in rounds.
4. Without binding off, the back is folded and stitches are picked up across the cast-on edge to begin working the border in rounds.
5. There is no top or bottom to the finished piece. Insert arms into openings on sides of back. Border will fold around back of neck to form collar. Front of border can be worn open or pinned with a shawl pin or brooch.
Knitting Needle Size15 or 10 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight(7) Jumbo
Gauge7 sts = 4" (10 cm); 12 rows = 4" (10 cm) in Garter st (knit every row). CHECK YOUR
GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge
Finished SizeTo Fit Bust: 32 (36, 40, 44, 48)" (81.5 (91.5, 101.5, 112, 122) cm); Back Width: 16 (18¼, 20½, 22¾, 25¼)" (40.5 (46.5, 52, 58, 64) cm)
- RED HEART® Grande™ yarn: 5 (6, 7, 7, 8) balls - 901 Currant
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 10 mm [US 15] 29” (73.5 cm) circular needle
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
Cast on 28 (32, 36, 40, 44) sts. Work back and forth in rows on circular needle as if working with straight needles.
Work in Garter st (knit every row) until piece measures 16 (17, 18, 18, 19)" (40.5 (43, 45.5, 45.5, 48.5) cm) from beginning, end with a
wrong side row.
Do not bind off.
Round 1 (right side): Knit one more row of back, fold piece in half to bring cast-on edge up to needle, pick up and k1 st in each cast-on st—56 (64, 72, 80, 88) sts.
Place marker to indicate beginning of round. Prepare to work in rounds. See diagram for more information.
Round 2 (increase round): Kfb in each st around—112 (128, 144, 160, 176) sts.
Round 3: *K1, p1; repeat from * around.
Repeat last round for 6" (15 cm) or desired length.
Bind off loosely.
Weave in ends.
- kfb (knit into front and back)
- Knit next st but do not remove from needle, knit into back loop of same st and remove from needle.
Read NextLeading Lady Vintage Shrug