How to Knit a Sweater: 7 Free Sweater Patterns
- see all comments
"Hi, I can't find the knitting pattern for this book, can I have it please?"
"With the page open, right click on your mouse, this will open a new window, in the new window scroll down to and click on print. That will take you to print review, in print preview change "all" to just the pages that the pattern is on and click print. Using the cut and copy feature to paste the document into another program for printing is actually a violation of international copyright laws, but printing directly from the page is permitted. Hope this helps someone. Happy knitting!"
"This is not a free pattern, so not sure why it is still featured on an "all free knitting" website."
Striped Knit Dog Coat
This knit sweater for small dogs and big dogs alike just exudes yacht-vibes.
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Click here to view your Knitting Patterns.
You've knit yourself enough sweaters; it's time to knit one for your best friend! This Striped Knit Dog Coat is a big, cozy, warm easy dog sweater pattern that just about any knitter can manage. Made with yarn specially designed to warm you, this sweater is guaranteed to keep your short-furred or temperature-sensitive pooches warm in the biting cold of winter. You'll never have to worry about a shivering pup during walks again, and as a little bonus, you're bound to get some coos from passersby... not that your cute dog wouldn't have gotten them without the sweater.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge18 sts and 24 rows = 4" [10 cm] in stocking st.
Red Heart® Heat Wave™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 198 yds/181 m)
Sizes S (M, L, XL)
- Contrast A: Ocean (0888) - 1 (1, 2, 3) ball(s)
- Contrast B: Sandy Shores (0110) - 1 (1, 2, 3) ball(s)
- Set of 4 size U.S. 8 (5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles.
- Size U.S. 8 (5 mm) circular knitting needle 16" [40.5 cm] long or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 2 stitch holders.
- Stitch marker.
To fit dog chest measurement:
S: 12" [30.5 cm]
M: 15" [38 cm]
L: 18" [45.5 cm]
XL: 22" [56 cm]
Transfer sts from double-pointed needles to circular needle when necessary.
With B, work 4 rows.
With A, work 2 rows.
These 6 rows form Stripe Pat.
With double-pointed needles and A, cast on 44 (56-68-80) sts. Divide sts onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
1st rnd: With A, *K2. P2. Rep from * around.
Rep 1st rnd for 4 (4½-5-6)" [10 (11.5-12.5-15) cm].
Break A. Join B.
Next rnd: With B, *K11 (14-17-20). M1. Rep from * to around. 48 (60-72-84) sts.
First row of Stripe Pat is now in position. Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st and 2nd rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: K1. M1. Knit to last st. M1. K1. 50 (62-74-86) sts.
Rep these 3 rnds 4 (5-6-10) times more. 58 (72-86-106) sts.
Knit 4 (6-6-10) rnds even.
Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st rnd: K5 (8-10-12). Cast off 7 (9-10-12) sts loosely. Knit to last 12 (17-20-24) sts. Cast off 7 (9-10-12) sts loosely. Knit to end of rnd.
2nd rnd: Knit, casting on 7 (9-10-12) over cast off sts.
Knit even until work from last rndof ribbing measures 5 (7-9-12)"[12.5 (18-23-30.5) cm].
Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st rnd: Knit to last 6 (8-12-16) sts. Place last 6 (8-12-16) sts and first 6 (8-12-16) sts of next rnd onto st holder. 46 (56-62-74) sts.
Working back and forth across needles in rows, and keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st row: Purl.
2nd row: (RS). K2. ssk. Knit to last 4 sts. K2tog. K2. 44 (54-60-72) sts.
3rd row: Purl.Rep last 2 rows 3 (4-4-8) times more. 38 (46-52-56) sts.
Rep last 2 rows 3 (4-4-8) times more. 38 (46-52-56) sts.
1st row: (RS). K2. ssk. Knit to last 4 sts. K2tog. K2. 36 (44-50-54) sts.
2nd row: P2. P2tog. Purl to last 4 sts. P2togtbl. P2. 34 (42-48-52) sts.
Rep last 2 rows 4 (5-6-6) times more. 18 (22-24-28) sts. Leave sts on needle.
With RS facing and A, pick up and knit 15 (19-22-28) sts along right edge of Coat.
K12 (16-24-32) from st holder.
Pick up and knit 15 (19-22-28) sts along left edge of Coat.
Knit rem 18 (22-24-28) sts on needle.
Join in rnd, placing marker on first st. 60 (76-92-116) sts.
1st rnd: *K2. P2. Rep from *around.Rep last rnd 9 (12-14-18) timesmore. Cast off in ribbing.
With RS facing, A and double-pointed needles, pick up and knit 16 (20-24-28) sts evenly around leg opening. Divide sts onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
1st rnd: *K2. P2. Rep from * around. Rep last rnd for 1½ (2-2-3)" [4 (5-5-7.5) cm]. Cast off in ribbing.
- Right side
- Knit next 2 stitches together
- Make 1 stitch by picking up horizontal loop lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- Purl next 2 stitches together
- Purl next 2 stitches together through back loops
- Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together.
Read NextLife is Ruff Knit Dog Sweater
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Sweet Peach Tasseled Hat
This darling knit baby hat pattern is not only an adorable accessory for a little boy or girl, but an easy project that will delight… Continue reading: "Sweet Peach Tasseled Hat"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Waffle Stitch Pattern
- Stylish Cardigan With Colorful Stripes
- Unisex Winter Hat
- Spider Fingerless Gloves
- Waffle Stitch Kitchen Towel
- Free Knitting Pattern - Minimalist Round Toe Slippers
- Vertical Stripe Toque, Touque, Or Beanie Hat
- Turban Hat For Beginners
- Double Moss Stitch Dishcloth
- Easy Dishcloth
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You