Striped Knit Dog Coat
This knit sweater for small dogs and big dogs alike just exudes yacht-vibes.
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
You've knit yourself enough sweaters; it's time to knit one for your best friend! This Striped Knit Dog Coat is a big, cozy, warm easy dog sweater pattern that just about any knitter can manage. Made with yarn specially designed to warm you, this sweater is guaranteed to keep your short-furred or temperature-sensitive pooches warm in the biting cold of winter. You'll never have to worry about a shivering pup during walks again, and as a little bonus, you're bound to get some coos from passersby... not that your cute dog wouldn't have gotten them without the sweater.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge18 sts and 24 rows = 4" [10 cm] in stocking st.
Red Heart® Heat Wave™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 198 yds/181 m)
Sizes S (M, L, XL)
- Contrast A: Ocean (0888) - 1 (1, 2, 3) ball(s)
- Contrast B: Sandy Shores (0110) - 1 (1, 2, 3) ball(s)
- Set of 4 size U.S. 8 (5 mm) double-pointed knitting needles.
- Size U.S. 8 (5 mm) circular knitting needle 16" [40.5 cm] long or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 2 stitch holders.
- Stitch marker.
To fit dog chest measurement:
S: 12" [30.5 cm]
M: 15" [38 cm]
L: 18" [45.5 cm]
XL: 22" [56 cm]
Transfer sts from double-pointed needles to circular needle when necessary.
With B, work 4 rows.
With A, work 2 rows.
These 6 rows form Stripe Pat.
With double-pointed needles and A, cast on 44 (56-68-80) sts. Divide sts onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
1st rnd: With A, *K2. P2. Rep from * around.
Rep 1st rnd for 4 (4½-5-6)" [10 (11.5-12.5-15) cm].
Break A. Join B.
Next rnd: With B, *K11 (14-17-20). M1. Rep from * to around. 48 (60-72-84) sts.
First row of Stripe Pat is now in position. Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st and 2nd rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: K1. M1. Knit to last st. M1. K1. 50 (62-74-86) sts.
Rep these 3 rnds 4 (5-6-10) times more. 58 (72-86-106) sts.
Knit 4 (6-6-10) rnds even.
Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st rnd: K5 (8-10-12). Cast off 7 (9-10-12) sts loosely. Knit to last 12 (17-20-24) sts. Cast off 7 (9-10-12) sts loosely. Knit to end of rnd.
2nd rnd: Knit, casting on 7 (9-10-12) over cast off sts.
Knit even until work from last rndof ribbing measures 5 (7-9-12)"[12.5 (18-23-30.5) cm].
Keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st rnd: Knit to last 6 (8-12-16) sts. Place last 6 (8-12-16) sts and first 6 (8-12-16) sts of next rnd onto st holder. 46 (56-62-74) sts.
Working back and forth across needles in rows, and keeping cont of Stripe Pat, proceed as follows:
1st row: Purl.
2nd row: (RS). K2. ssk. Knit to last 4 sts. K2tog. K2. 44 (54-60-72) sts.
3rd row: Purl.Rep last 2 rows 3 (4-4-8) times more. 38 (46-52-56) sts.
Rep last 2 rows 3 (4-4-8) times more. 38 (46-52-56) sts.
1st row: (RS). K2. ssk. Knit to last 4 sts. K2tog. K2. 36 (44-50-54) sts.
2nd row: P2. P2tog. Purl to last 4 sts. P2togtbl. P2. 34 (42-48-52) sts.
Rep last 2 rows 4 (5-6-6) times more. 18 (22-24-28) sts. Leave sts on needle.
With RS facing and A, pick up and knit 15 (19-22-28) sts along right edge of Coat.
K12 (16-24-32) from st holder.
Pick up and knit 15 (19-22-28) sts along left edge of Coat.
Knit rem 18 (22-24-28) sts on needle.
Join in rnd, placing marker on first st. 60 (76-92-116) sts.
1st rnd: *K2. P2. Rep from *around.Rep last rnd 9 (12-14-18) timesmore. Cast off in ribbing.
With RS facing, A and double-pointed needles, pick up and knit 16 (20-24-28) sts evenly around leg opening. Divide sts onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
1st rnd: *K2. P2. Rep from * around. Rep last rnd for 1½ (2-2-3)" [4 (5-5-7.5) cm]. Cast off in ribbing.
- Right side
- Knit next 2 stitches together
- Make 1 stitch by picking up horizontal loop lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- Purl next 2 stitches together
- Purl next 2 stitches together through back loops
- Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Ginger Basket Shawlette
- Sade's Onesie
- Double Layer Reversible Knit Hat
- Cabled Christmas Stockings
- Dusky Sky Hat
- Easter Eggs - Straight Needles
- Gingham Baby Blanket
- 10 Romantic Knitting Patterns
- Cozy Cables Throw Blanket Knitting Pattern
- Glacier Cowl
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You