Cable Crush Winter Hat
This knit hat pattern uses straight needles. No circular needles or double point needles required!
Behold a cable knit hat pattern that doesn't require the use of circular or double pointed needles! That's right, the Cable Crush Winter Hat is a darling cold weather basic you can complete with two straight needles. Knit flat with a sewn seam up the back, this blue beauty of a knit hat pattern proves that coziness doesn't have to be complicated. Finish off this fun hat with a giant pom pom for a whimsical touch and start showing off this gorgeous cable knitting pattern.
Knitting Needle Size10 or 6 mm, 9 or 5.5 mm
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge1 stitches, 2 rows, 3 inches. stockinette stitch
- Shetland Chunky (100 g/3.5 oz;136 m/148 yds)
- Contrast A Oxford Grey (78046) - 1 ball
- Contrast B Steel Blue (78105) - 1 ball
- Contrast C Soft Teal (78209) - 1 ball
- Sizes 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) and 6 mm (U.S. 10) knitting needles or size needed to obtain tension
- Cable needle
One size to fit average woman's head.
With smaller needles and A, cast on 73 sts.
1st row: (RS). *K1. P1. Rep from * to last st. K1.
2nd row: *P1. K1. Rep from * to last st. P1. Rep last 2 rows (K1. P1) ribbing for 3" [7.5 cm], ending with a 2nd row.
Change to larger needles.
1st row: (RS). With B, K3. *M1. K2. M1. K3. Rep from * to end of row. 101 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K5. *C8F. K4. Rep from * to end of row.
4th to 10th rows: Beg with a purl row, work 7 rows in stocking st.
11th row: (RS). K1. *C8B. K4. Rep from * to last 4 sts. K4.
13th row: Knit.
15th and 17th rows: With C, knit.
19th to 27th rows: With C, rep 3rd to 11th rows once more.
28th row: Purl.
1st row: (RS). K1. *K2tog. K3. Rep from * to end of row. 81 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *K2tog. K2. Rep from * to end of row. 61 sts.
5th row: K1. *K2tog. K1. Rep from * to end of row. 41 sts.
7th row: K1. *K2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 21 sts. Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread yarn through rem sts and fasten securely. Sew back seam.
Wind 2 strands of A around 4 fingers approx 50 times. Tie tightly in the middle and leave a long end for attaching to Hat. Cut through each side of loops. Trim to a smooth round shape. Attach to top of Hat.
- Slip next 4 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K4, then K4 from cable needle.
- Slip next 4 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K4, then K4 from cable needle.
- Knit next 2 stitches together.
- Make 1 stitch by picking up horizontal loop lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop.
- wrong side
Read NextArctic Sunset Cable Hat