We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Keep her shoulders nice and cozy in the Girl's Seed Stitch Bolero. This knitted shrug pattern for kids is the perfect garment for layering over dresses and skirts. The Girl's Seed Stitch Bolero features a fun row of edging with Red Hearts Pomp-a-Doodle yarn. With sizing instructions for 2, 4, and 8 year old girls, this sweet little bolero is sure to be a pattern you'll love coming back to as she grows up.
Knitting Needle Size10 or 6 mm
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 (1, 2, 2) skeins 358 Lavender A
- RED HEART® “Pomp-a-Doodle™”: 1 ball 9960 African Violet B
- Knitting Needles: 6 mm [US 10]
- Circular Knitting Needles: 6 mm [US 10] 24” long
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 14 sts = 4”; 26 rows = 4” in Seed stitch.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Finished Bust: 24 (27½, 29½, 32)”
Finished Length: 10 (11, 12, 13½)”
Directions are for size 2 years; changes for sizes 4, 6 and 8 years are in parentheses.
Row 1 (right side): * K1, p1; repeat from * across.
Row 2: * P1, k1; repeat from * across.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for Seed stitch pattern.
With knitting needles and A, cast on 36 (40, 44, 48) sts.
Begin Seed stitch, and work 4 rows even.
Shape Waist: Inc 1 st at beginning and end of next row, then every 4th (6th, 6th, 8th) row 3 times–44 (48, 52, 56) sts. Work even until piece measures 4 (4½, 5, 6)” from beginning, ending with a wrong side row.
Bind off 3 (4, 5, 6) sts at beginning of next 2 rows–38 (40, 42, 44) sts. Dec 1 st each side every other row 3 times–32 (34, 36, 38) sts.
Work even until piece measures 9 (10, 11, 12½)” from beginning, ending with a wrong side row.
Bind off 3 (3, 3, 4) sts at beginning of next 2 rows, then bind off 3 (4, 4, 4) sts at beginning of next 2 rows. Bind off remaining 20 (20, 22, 22) sts.
FRONTS (make 2)
Mark first front as Left Front. Turn second front over to reverse side for Right Front.
With knitting needles and A, cast on 12 (14, 16, 18) sts. Begin Seed st, and work 2 rows even.
Read through instructions once before beginning shaping.
Shape Front Edge and Waist
Inc 1 st at end of next row for front edge, then every other row at same edge 5 times AND AT THE SAME TIME, when piece measures same as Back to beginning of waist shaping, ending with a wrong side row, Shape Waist as follows: inc 1 st at beginning of next row, then every 4th (6th, 6th, 8th) row 3 times–22 (24, 26, 28) sts. Work even until piece measures 4 (4½, 5, 6)” from beginning, ending with a wrong side row.
Shape Armhole and Neck
Bind off 3 (4, 5, 6) sts at beginning of next row for armhole, then dec 1 st at armhole edge every other row 3 times, AND AT THE SAME TIME, dec 1 st at neck edge every third row 10 (10, 11, 11) times–6 (7, 7, 8) sts.
Work even until piece measures same as Back to shoulder shaping, ending with a wrong side row.
Bind off 3 (3, 3, 4) sts at shoulder edge once, then bind off remaining 3 (4, 4, 4) sts at shoulder edge.
SLEEVES (make 2)
With knitting needles and A, cast on 26 (30, 34, 38) sts.
Begin Seed st, and work 5 (7, 9, 13) rows even.
Shape Sleeve Cap
Bind off 3 (4, 5, 6) sts at beginning of next 2 rows–20 (22, 24, 26) sts. Dec 1 st each side next row, then every other row 1 (2, 2, 2) times, then every fourth row 3 (3, 4, 5) times–10 sts. Bind off 3 sts at beginning of next 2 rows.
Bind off remaining 4 sts.
NOTE: Hold pieces upside down to work edgings. Use cord between pompoms to form stitches. Do not pull pompoms through stitches.
With knitting needles, B and right side facing, pick up and k31 (34, 38, 41) sts across bottom edge of Back. Bind off loosely on next row.
Sew shoulders seams.
Front and Back Neck
With circular needles, B and right side facing, pickup and k11 (12, 14, 16) sts across bottom edge of right front, 17 (18, 20, 23) sts up right front edge, 16 (18, 21, 24) sts up neck edge to shoulder, 16 (16, 18, 18) sts across right side of back neck edge, 16 (18, 21, 24) sts down left front neck edge, 17 (18, 20, 23) sts down left front edge, and 11 (12, 14, 16) sts across bottom edge of left front–104 (112, 128, 144) sts. Bind off loosely on next row.
With knitting needles, B and right side facing, pick up and k23 (26, 29, 33) sts across bottom edge of sleeve. Bind off loosely on next row.
Set in sleeves. Sew side and sleeve seams. Weave in yarn ends. Pull any pompoms to right side of work as necessary.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Easy Child's Poncho Pattern
- Easy Hand Warmers Knitting Pattern For Children
- 15 Beginning Knitting Patterns: Free Knitting Patterns and Tutorials to Teach your Kids to Knit
- Free Knitting Pattern for Baby Dress
- Free Child’s Easy Sweater Knit Pattern
- Play Day Cardigan
- Lollipop Hat
- Knit Blue Porcelain Girl’s Lace Dress
- "Color Trends" Unisex Beanie
- Super Mario Color Charts
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Broken Rib Hat
- What is Viscose Yarn? + 24 Knitting Patterns
- Easy Hand Warmers Knitting Pattern For Children
- Broken Rib Stitch Cardigan
- Vortex Bulky Knit Hat
- Lansing Stashbuster Infinity Scarf & Cowl
- Beginner Striped Scarf
- Main Street Chunky Cowl
- Stunning Turtleneck Poncho Beginner Knitting Pattern
- Stunning Knit Sampler Scarf
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You