Easy Beginner Knitted Hat
Learn how to knit a hat with this Easy Beginner Knitted Hat tutorial from Emi Harrington. Knitting hat patterns can seem intimidating to novice knitters, but you'll be able to take them on like pro once you finish this beginner knitting pattern. Made with straight knitting needles, this project will allow a beginner to practice several techniques including: knitting the garter stitch, knitting with two strands of yarn at the same time and basic seaming methods. Once your baby hat is seamed up, embellish it with a fun, homemade pom pom!
Knitting Needle Size15 or 10 mm
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- Worsted weight yarn, worked 2 strands, approx. 50 grams
- One pair knitting needles, size 10mm, (US 15)
- Yarn needle
Finished Size: newborn to 3 years.
Gauge: 3 stitches = 1 inch (Gauge is not important in this design.)
- Working with 2 strands of worsted weight yarn, and size 10mm needles, cast on 20 stitches. (This will produce a child size hat, ages newborn to 3 years, with a rolled up cuff.)
- Knit every stitch across the row.
- Repeat step 2 until the rectangle is long enough to wrap around the head:
Newborn: 13 inches
3 to 6 Months: 16 inches
6 to 12 Months: 18 inches
1 to 3 Years: 20 inches
- Cast off.
- Bring the first and last rows together, and sew up the seam to form a tube.
- With a yarn needle, and the yarn end, weave through a row of stitches, approximately 1 inch from the end. Gather up to close the top of the hat, and form a ruffle-top on the hat. Take several stitches to secure. Fasten off and weave all yarn ends into the finished work.
Add a pom-pom, a flower, or a button on the hat as embellishment.
END OF PATTERN.
Read NextEasy Knit Flat Baby Hat