How to Knit a Hat: 7 Cozy Free Knit Hat Patterns
- see all comments
"Hi, I can't find the knitting pattern for this book, can I have it please?"
"With the page open, right click on your mouse, this will open a new window, in the new window scroll down to and click on print. That will take you to print review, in print preview change "all" to just the pages that the pattern is on and click print. Using the cut and copy feature to paste the document into another program for printing is actually a violation of international copyright laws, but printing directly from the page is permitted. Hope this helps someone. Happy knitting!"
"This is not a free pattern, so not sure why it is still featured on an "all free knitting" website."
Double Chevron Baby Beanie
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Click here to view your Knitting Patterns.
If you're looking for free knitting patterns for babies, then you can't go wrong with the Double Chevron Baby Beanie. This cute and cuddly knit hat will keep your precious little one's head warm and the modern chevron design adds a unique touch. The neutral colors of this free knitting pattern make it incredibly versatile for both little boys and little girls. With the current popularity of chevron, your baby will be right on trend. If you know someone who just had a baby or someone who is expecting a bundle of joy, this knitted hat would make the perfect baby shower gift.
Notes1. Hat is worked in rounds beginning at lower edge.
2. Hat is worked on circular needle, changing to double pointed needles while shaping crown.
3. When changing color, do not cut old color until instructed. Carry colors not in use up wrong side (inside) of hat when next needed.
4. Color pattern can be worked by following written instructions or reading chart. Read all rows of chart from right to left.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge17 sts = 4” (10 cm); 18 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette st worked in rounds (knit every round). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeDirections are for Toddler size. Changes for Child size are in parentheses Finished Circumference: 17 (19)” (43 (48.5) cm) Hat will stretch to fit a range of sizes.
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 1 skein each of 4334 Buff Fleck A, 3950 Charcoal B, 4313 Aran Fleck C.
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 5mm [US 8] circular needle, 16” (40 cm) long, and 5mm [US 8] set of double pointed needles
- Stitch marker, yarn needle
With circular needle and A, cast on 72 (80) sts.
Place marker for beginning of round. Prepare to work in rounds.
Rounds 1–5: *K1, p1; repeat from * around.
Round 6: Knit.
Round 7: *With B, k1; with A, k3; repeat from * around.
Round 8: *With B, k2; with A, k1; with B, k1; repeat from * around.
Round 9: With B, knit.
Round 10: *With C, k1; with B, k3; repeat from * around.
Round 11: *With C, k2; with B, k1; with C, k1; repeat from * around. Cut B. Round 12: With C, knit. Round 13: *With A, k1; with C, k3; repeat from * around.
Round 14: *With A, k2; with C, k1; with A, k1; repeat from * around. Cut C.
Work remainder of hat with A only.
Rounds 15-22 (26): Knit.
Note: Piece should measure about 5 (6)” (12.5 (15) cm) from beginning.
Note: When stitches no longer fit comfortably on circular needle, change to double pointed needles.
Round 1: *K6, k2tog; repeat from * around —63 (70) sts.
Round 2: Knit.
Round 3: *K5, k2tog; repeat from * around —54 (60) sts.
Round 4: Knit.
Round 5: *K4, k2tog; repeat from * around —45 (50) sts.
Round 6: Knit.
Round 7: *K3, k2tog; repeat from * around —36 (40) sts.
Round 8: Knit.
Round 9: *K2, k2tog; repeat from * around —27 (30) sts.
Round 10: Knit.
Round 11: *K1, k2tog; repeat from * around —18 (20) sts.
Round 12: *K2tog; repeat from * around— 9 (10) sts.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Thread tail through remaining stitches and remove them from the needles. Pull to close opening at top of hat. Draw tail to wrong side and weave in very securely.
Weave in all ends. Block lightly, if desired.
- A, B, and C
- Color A, Color B, and Color C
- knit next 2 sts together
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
Read NextBaby's Snowflake Beanie
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
rainfairy63 802749 3
Jan 13, 2017
Omigosh! MUST knit! Please - is it possible to knit this flat? Love love love
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Sweet Peach Tasseled Hat
This darling knit baby hat pattern is not only an adorable accessory for a little boy or girl, but an easy project that will delight… Continue reading: "Sweet Peach Tasseled Hat"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Waffle Stitch Pattern
- Stylish Cardigan With Colorful Stripes
- Unisex Winter Hat
- Spider Fingerless Gloves
- Waffle Stitch Kitchen Towel
- Free Knitting Pattern - Minimalist Round Toe Slippers
- Vertical Stripe Toque, Touque, Or Beanie Hat
- Turban Hat For Beginners
- Double Moss Stitch Dishcloth
- Easy Dishcloth
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You