Cabled Toddler Hat Knitting Pattern
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Put your cable stitch knitting skills to the test with the Cabled Toddler Hat Knitting Pattern. This adorable cable stitch hat comes with a pompom on the top and tassels on the sides that your toddler is sure to love. Buying hats every year to accommodate your ever-growing child can be a hassle. There's no need to worry about that with these free knit hat patterns. The cabled toddler hat stretches to fit a range of sizes, so your little one will be wearing it for years to come.
Knitting Needle Size15 or 10 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge12 sts = 4” (10 cm); 18 rounds = 4” (10 cm) in cable and checkerboard pattern of hat. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeHat measures 16” (40.5 cm) circumference, will stretch to fit a range of sizes.
- RED HEART® Soft®: 2 balls 9388 Wheat (available in 5 oz (141 g), 256 yd (234 m) balls)
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles: 10 mm [US 15] 16” (40 cm) circular needle, and 10 mm [US 15] double pointed needles
- Stitch holder
- Cable needle
- Pompom maker
- Stitch marker
- 4" (10cm) piece of heavy cardboard (for making tassels)
- Yarn needle
- Two earflaps are worked in Stockinette st (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) beginning with the I-Cord ties. Then stitches are cast on between the earflaps for front and back of hat. Hat is then worked in a cable and checkerboard pattern in rounds from top of earflaps up to the top of the hat (crown).
- Two strands of yarn are held together throughout.
- Hat and crown shaping can be worked by following written instructions or reading charts. Read each row of charts from right to left.
EARFLAPS (make 2)
With two double pointed needles and 2 strands of yarn held together, cast on 4 sts.
I-Cord Tie: Work 8” (20.5 cm) of I-cord. Do not bind off.
Note: Earflap can now be worked using the two double pointed needles or one circular needle. Work back and forth in rows as if working with straight needles.
Row 1 (right side): K2, place marker, k2.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: K1, kfb, slip marker, kfb, k1—6 sts.
Row 4: Purl.
Row 5: Knit to 1 st before marker, kfb, slip marker, kfb, knit to end of row—8 sts.
Row 6: Purl.
Rows 7 and 8: Repeat last 2 rows—10 sts. Work in Stockinette st (knit on right side, purl on wrong side) until earflap (including I-Cord tie) measures about 8½” (21.5 cm) from beginning; end with a wrong side (purl) row. Place the stitches of the first earflap onto a stitch holder and cut yarn. Keep stitches of 2nd earflap on needle and do not cut yarn.
Joining Round (right side): With right side facing and circular needle, knit across the sts of the 2nd earflap, cast on 14 sts, knit across the sts of the first earflap on holder, cast on 14 sts—48 sts. Place a marker for beginning of round. Taking care not to twist the piece, prepare to work in rounds.
SHAPE CROWN CHART
Round 1: [P2, k2] 3 times, p1, [2/2 LC] twice, p1, [k2, p2] 3 times, k2, p1, [2/2 LC] twice, p1, k2.
Round 2: [P2, k2] 3 times, p1, k8, p1, [k2, p2] 3 times, k2, p1, k8, p1, k2.
Rounds 3 and 4: [K2, p2] twice, k2, p3, k8, p3, k2, [p2, k2] twice, p3, k8, p3.
Rounds 5 and 6: Repeat Round 2 twice.
Round 7: [K2, p2] twice, k2, p3, k2, 2/2 LC, k2, p3, k2, [p2, k2] twice, p3, k2, 2/2 LC, k2, p3.
Round 8: Repeat Round 3.
Rounds 9 and 10: Repeat Round 2 twice.
Rounds 11 and 12: Repeat Rounds 3 and 4.
Rounds 13–22: Repeat Rounds 1–10.
Note: When stitches will no longer fit comfortably on circular needle, change to double pointed needles.
Round 1: [K2tog, p2] twice, k2tog, p3, [k2tog] 4 times, p3, k2tog, [p2, k2tog] twice, p3, [k2tog] 4 times, p3—34 sts.
Round 2: [K1, p2] twice, k1, p3, k4, p3, k1, [p2, k1] twice, p3, k4, p3.
Round 3: [P1, k2tog] 3 times, p1, [k2tog] twice, p1, [k2tog, p1] 4 times, [k2tog] twice, p1, k2tog—22 sts.
Round 4: [P1, k1] 3 times, p1, k2, p1, [k1, p1] 4 times, k2, p1, k1.
Round 5: *K2tog; repeat from * to end of round—11 sts.
* Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Thread tail through remaining 11 stitches and remove them from the needle. Pull on tail to close the top opening and weave in tail securely.
Pompom: Following pompom maker directions, make a pompom about 3” (7.5 cm) diameter and attach securely to top of hat.
Tassels (make 2): Wrap yarn about 20 times around 4” (10 cm) piece of heavy cardboard. Thread a 6” (15 cm) length of yarn under the top of the wraps and tie into a tight knot for top of tassel. Slip wraps off of cardboard. Tie a 6” (15 cm) length of yarn around wraps about 1” (2.5 cm) from top for tassel neck. Wrap ends of tie around wraps several times and then draw ends to inside of tassel. Cut the lower ends of the wraps and trim to even. Tie one tassel to the end of each I-Cord tie.
* Weave in ends
- knit next 2 stitches together
- [ ]
- work directions inb rackets the number of times specified
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
- 2/2 LC (2 over 2 left cross)
- slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k2, k2 from cable needle
- kfb (knit into front and back)
- knit next st but do not remove from needle, knit into back loop of same st and remove from needle
- With double-pointed needles, cast on 3 sts, *knit all the sts, do not turn work. Slide all the stitches to opposite end of needle. Carry yarn tightly across back of work, and knit all the stitches; repeat from * until I-cord measures indicated length.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Quick knitting patterns are awesome because you get to reap the rewards of your knitting work almost immediately. This Quick Purple… Continue reading: "Quick Purple Knitted Ponchovideocam"
- Cozy Snowman Hat Knitting Pattern
- Rainbow Brim Hat Knitting Pattern
- Watermelon Slice Hat Knitting Pattern
- Elf Pixie Bonnet Knitting Pattern
- Baby Carrot Hat Knitting Pattern
- Adorable Otter Hat Knitting Pattern
- Gathered Bow Hat Knitting Pattern
- Princess Charlotte Baby Bonnet
- One Hour Knit Baby Hat Pattern
- Basic Knitted Baby Hat
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Criss Cross Baby Booties
- Bunny Squared – Make A Bunny From A Square
- Trellis Stitch Square With Heart Insert
- Tubular Bind Off Tutorial
- Tostata Triangle Scarf
- Simple Knit Wrap Bracelet
- Bianca Bookmark
- Beaded Bracelet Knitting Pattern
- Ribbed Bubble Hat
- Walkiria Kimono
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You