Fashionable Fair Isle Sweater
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
This charming knit sweater pattern is a winter classic. The Fashionable Fair Isle Sweater features a flattering stockinette stitch construction and a charming Fair Isle motif along the yoke. This charming pattern is a great project for the intermediate knitter and will keep crafters engaged from cast on to cast off. Perfect for holiday parties or casual weekday wear, the Fashionable Fair Isle Sweater is a sure to become the gem of your winter wardrobe.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, 9 or 5.5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge17 stitches, 24 rows, 4 inches. stockinette stitch
- Bernat Super Value (197 g/7 oz/389 m/426 yds) OR Bernat Berella 4 (100 g/3.5 oz/197 m/216 yds) OR Bernat Satin (100 g/3.5 oz/149 m/163 yds)
- Sizes XS/S (M-L-XL-2/3XL-4/5XL)
- Main Color (MC) (Blue) 940 (1030-1130-1315-1410-1600) m OR 1030 (1140-1235-1440-1545-1750) yds
- Contrast A (White) 70 (75-80-85-87-90) m OR 76 (82-87-93-95-98) yds Contrast B (Brown) 70 (75-80-85-87-90) m OR 76 (82-87-93-95-98) yds
- Sizes 5 mm (U.S. 8) and 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) circular knitting needles 24 ins [60 cm] long
- Sets of four 5 mm (U.S. 8) and 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) double-pointed needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- 4 st holders
Gauge: 17 sts and 24 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
To fit bust measurement
Extra-Small/Small 28-34 ins [71-86.5 cm]
Medium 36-38 ins [91.5-96.5 cm]
Large 40-42 ins [101.5-106.5 cm]
Extra-Large 44-46 ins [112-117 cm]
2/3 Extra-Large 48-54 ins [122-137 cm]
4/5 Extra-Large 56-62 ins [142-157.5 cm]
Extra-Small/Small 36¾ ins [93.5 cm]
Medium 41 ins [104 cm]
Large 45 ins [114.5 cm]
Extra-Large 49 ins [124.5 cm]
2/3 Extra-Large 57½ ins [146 cm]
4/5 Extra-Large 65¾ ins [167 cm]
Beg = beginning
cont = continue(ity)
Dec = decrease(ing)
Inc = Increase(ing)
K = knit
k2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together.
P = purl
psso = pass slipped stitch over
rem = remain(ing)
rep = repeat
rnd(s) = round(s)
RS = right side
Sl1 = Slip next stitch knitwise.
st(s) = stitch(es)
With smaller circular needle and MC, cast on 156 (172-192-208-244-280) sts. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
1st rnd: (RS). *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep last row of (K2. P2) ribbing until work from beg measures 6 ins [15 cm], inc 0 (2-0-0-0-0) sts evenly across last rnd. 156 (174-192-208-244-280) sts.
Change to larger circular needle and knit in rnds until work from beg measures 14 (14-14½-14½-15-15) ins [35.5 (35.5-37-37-38-38) cm].
Next rnd: K82 (92-103-111-131-149). Slip last 8 (10-14-14-18-18) sts onto a st holder for right underarm. K70 (77-82-90-104-122). Break yarn leaving a 6 inch [15 cm] end for weaving in later. Slip last 4 (5-7-7-9-9) sts and first 4 (5-7-7-9-9) sts onto a st holder for left underarm. Leave rem sts on needle.
With smaller double-pointed needles and MC, cast on 44 (44-48-48-52-52) sts.
Divide sts onto 3 needles and join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
Proceed in (K2. P2) ribbing as given for Body until work from beg measures 6 ins [15 cm], inc 2 sts evenly across last rnd. 46 (46-50-50-54-54) sts.
Change to larger double-pointed needles and proceed in stocking st, inc 1 st at beg and end of next and every following 14th (10th-10th- 8th-6th-4nd) rnd to 50 (56-60-66-72-84) sts, then every 16th (12th-12th-10th-8th-6th) rnd to 56 (60-64-68-76-86) sts.
Cont even until work from beg measures 18½ (19-19-18½-18-17½) ins [47 (48-48-47-45.5-44.5) cm].
Next rnd: K52 (55-57-61-67-77). Slip last 4 (5-7-7-9-9) sts and first 4 (5-7-7-9-9) sts onto a st holder for underarm. Break yarn, leaving an end 15 ins [38 cm] long for grafting.
1st rnd: (Joining rnd). With larger circular needle and MC, K48 (50-50-54-58-68) of left sleeve. Place marker on needle. K70 (77-82-90-104-122) sts of front. Place marker on needle. K48 (50-50-54-58-68) of right sleeve. Place marker on needle. K70 (77-82-90-104-122) of back. Place marker on needle. 236 (254-264-288-324-380) sts.
2nd rnd: (K2tog. Knit to 2 sts before marker. Sl1. K1. psso) 4 times.
3rd rnd: Knit.
Rep last 2 rnds 11 (13-14-17-17-19) times more. 140 (142-144-144-180-220) sts.
Next rnd: Knit, dec 0 (2-4-4-0-0) sts evenly around. 140 (140-140-140-180-220) sts.
Next rnd: Knit 1st row of Chart, reading row from right to left and noting that 10-st rep will be worked 14 (14-14-14-18-22) times.
Knit Chart to end of chart. 70 (70-70-70-90-110) sts.
Next rnd: Knit, dec 2 (2-2-2-10-20) sts evenly around. 68 (68-68-68-80-90) sts.
Sizes 2/3XL and 4/5XL only: Next rnd: Knit, dec (8-18) sts evenly around. 72 sts.
All sizes: Change to smaller circular needle and work 3 rnds in (K2. P2) ribbing as given for Body. Cast off in ribbing.
Graft underarms. Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Ginger Basket Shawlette
- Sade's Onesie
- Double Layer Reversible Knit Hat
- Cabled Christmas Stockings
- Dusky Sky Hat
- Easter Eggs - Straight Needles
- Gingham Baby Blanket
- 10 Romantic Knitting Patterns
- Cozy Cables Throw Blanket Knitting Pattern
- Glacier Cowl
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You