We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
This Maroon Vintage Alpaca Cardigan is the kind of sweater you didn't know you needed until you saw it. The beautifully vintage way the deep red mingles with the off-white in a chevron pattern is simply a timeless look. Alpaca fashion is also known for being soft and cuddly, so you won't be scratching your arms every time you wear it. Make a weekend project out of this slightly more advanced pattern. Especially newer knitters who are looking to challenge themselves will love this battle.
Knitting Needle Size9 or 5.5 mm, 10 or 6 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge1 stitches, 2 rows, 3 inches. stockinette stitch
- Main Color (MC) (93430 Persimmon) - 6 (XS/S), 7 (M), 8 (L), 9 (XL), 10 (2/3XL), 11 (4/5XL) balls
- Contrast A (93007 Natural) - 2 (XS/S), 2 (M), 3 (L), 3 (XL), 3 (2/3XL), 4 (4/5XL) balls
- Sizes 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) and 6 mm (U.S. 10) circular knitting needles 24 ins [60 cm] long.
- Sets of four 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) and 6 mm (U.S. 10) double-pointed needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Separating zipper 26 (27-27-28-32-33) ins [66 (68.5-68.5-71-81.5-84) cm] long.
Gauge: 15 sts and 20 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
To fit bust measurements:
- Extra-Small/Small - 28-34 ins [ 71-86.5 cm ]
- Medium - 36-38 ins [ 91.5-96.5 cm ]
- Large - 40-42 ins [ 101.5-106.5 cm ]
- Extra-Large - 44-46 ins [ 112-117 cm ]
- 2/3 Extra-Large - 48-54 ins [ 122-137 cm ]
- 4/5 Extra-Large - 56-62 ins [ 142-157.5 cm ]
- X-Small/Small - 36 ins [ 91.5 cm ]
- Medium - 40 ins [ 101.5 cm ]
- Large - 45 ins [ 114.5 cm ]
- X-Large - 48 ins [ 122 cm ]
- 2/3 X-Large - 57 ins [ 146 cm ]
- 4/5 X-Large - 65 ins [ 165 cm ]
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ). When only one number is given, it applies to all sizes. For ease in working, circle all numbers pertaining to your size. Sweater is made from top down.
With smaller circular needle and A, cast on 63 (67-75-79-83-83) sts. Do not join. Working back and forth across needle, proceed as follows:
1st row: (RS). K2. *P1. K1. Rep from * to last st. K1.
2nd row: *K1. P1. Rep from * to last st. K1.
Rep 1st and 2nd rows for 3 ins [7.5 cm], inc 1 st in center of last row. 64 (68-76-80-84-84) sts.
Change to larger circular needle and proceed as follows:
Sizes XS/S, M, L, XL only: 1st row: (Marking row). K11 (12-14-15) (Left Front). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K8 (Left Sleeve). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K22 (24-28-30) (Back). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K8 (Right Sleeve). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K11 (12-14-15) (Right Front). Knit to end of row.
2nd row: Purl.
Sizes 2/3XL and 4/5XL only:
1st row: (Marking row). K16 (Left Front). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K8 (Left Sleeve). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K32 (Back). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K8 (Right Sleeve). Place a marker on next st and knit it. K16 (Right Front). Knit to end of row.
2nd row: *Purl to marked st. M1P. Purl marked st. M1P. Rep from * 3 times more. Purl to end of row.
3rd row: *Knit to marked st. M1. Knit marked st. M1. Rep from * 3 times more. Knit to end of row. Rep last 2 rows (0-1) time more, then 2nd row once. (108-124) sts.
Next row: Purl.
Next row: (RS). *Knit to marked st. M1. Knit marked st. M1. Rep from * 3 times more. Knit to end of row.
4th row: Purl.
Rep last 2 rows 6 (7-9-10-11-12) times more. 120 (132-156-168-204-228) sts.
Work Chart II to end of chart, reading knit rows from right to left and purl rows from left to right noting 12-st rep will be worked 10 (11-13-14-17-19) times and working inc sts as M1. 200 (220-260-280-340-380) sts. Break A.
Sizes XS/S, M, 2/3XL and 4/5XL only:
Next row: (RS). With MC, K2 (5-85-25). M1. *K14 (18-170-47). M1. Rep from * 13 (10-0-6) times more. K2 (6-85-26). 215 (232-342-388) sts.
Sizes L and XL only:
Next row: (RS). With MC, knit.
Next row: Divide for Body and Sleeves: With MC, P32 (36-40-43-52-59). Slip next 44 (45-50-54-67-76) sts onto a length of yarn for Right Sleeve. Cast on 4 sts (right underarm). P63 (70-80-86-104-118). Slip next 44 (45-50-54-67-76) sts onto a length of yarn for Left Sleeve. Cast on 4 sts (left underarm). P32 (36-40-43-52-59). 135 (150-168-180-216-244) sts for Right Front, Left Front and Back
Cont even in stocking st until work from dividing row measures 11 H (11½-12-12-14-15) ins [29 (29-30.5-30.5-35.5-38) cm], ending with a purl row and dec 0 (1-1-1-1-1) stat center of last row. 135 (149-167-179-215-243) sts.
Change to smaller circular needle and work 3 ins [7.5 cm] in (K1. P1) ribbing as given for Neckband, ending on a 2nd row. Cast off in ribbing.
Sleeves: With RS of work facing, slip 44 (45-50-54-67-76) sts from length of yarn onto 3 larger double-pointed needles as follows: 15 (16-18-18-23-26) sts on 1st and 2nd needles and 14 (
13-14-18-21-24) sts on 3rd needle. Cast on 4 sts. Join in rnd. 48 (49-54-58-71-80) sts. Slip 2 sts from 3rd needle onto 1st needle.
Proceed as follows:
Knit 11 (9-9-7-3-3) rnds even.
1st needle: K1. K2tog. Knit to end of needle.
2nd needle: Knit.
3rd needle: Knit to last 3 sts. Sl1. K1. psso. K1. Rep last 12 (10-10-8-4-4) rnds 5 (5-4-4-15-12) times more. 36 (37-44-48-39-54) sts.
Sizes L, XL, 4/5XL only:
Knit (5-5-1) rnd(s) even.
1st needle: K1. K2tog. Knit to end of needle.
2nd needle: Knit.
3rd needle: Knit to last 3 sts. Sl1. K1. psso. K1. Rep last (6-6-2) rnds (3-5-6) times more. (36-36-40) sts.
All sizes:Knit even in rnds until work from dividing rnd measures 14 H (15-15-15½-14-13½) ins [37 (38-38-39.5-35.5-34.5) cm], dec 0 (1-0-0-1-0) st at beg of last rnd. 36 (36-36-36-38-40) sts.
Change to set of 4 smaller double-pointed needles and proceed as follows:
1st rnd: *K1. P1. Rep from * around. Rep last rnd of (K1. P1) ribbing for 3 ins [7.5 cm]. Cast off in ribbing.
Pin garment pieces to measurements. Cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry. Graft underarms.
Front edging: With RS of work facing, smaller circular needle and MC, pick up and knit 87 (89-91-94-50-50) sts up Right front edge. Cast off knitwise. Rep for other side. Sew zipper in position.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- 30 Merino Yarn Patterns to Knit
- Blanket Cardigan Knitting Pattern
- Dasha Baby Blanket
- Bert Baby Blanket
- Lake Isle Wrap
- 24 Bamboo Yarn Patterns to Knit
- Lace Head Scarf Knitting Pattern
- Candy Bud Scarf
- Slouchy Knit Tote Bag
- Polyantha Rose Garden Shawl
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You