7 Free Knitting Patterns for Homemade Halloween Costumes and Easy Decorating Ideas
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Your child will love this simple knit scarf pattern for Halloween. This Little Fox Scarf is perfect for any budding fashionista. Your smart, quick witted little girl would love to wear this fox scarf. You'll love knitting this sharp pattern. This cute fox scarf is perfect for the animal lover in your family. She'll love having her foxy friend as a constant, cozy companion. Help your little girl stay warm and witty while trick-or-treating with this adorable knit scarf pattern. This lovely scarf is sure to become her favorite Halloween costume.
Knitting Needle Size11 or 8 mm
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
- Bernat® Softee® Chunky™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 108 yds/99 m) Main Color (MC) Pumpkin (28630) 1 ball
- Bernat® Softee® Chunky™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 108 yds/99 m) Contrast A Dark Taupe (28013) 1 ball
- Bernat® Pipsqueak™ (3.5 oz/100 g; 120 yds/109 m) Conntrast B Vanilla (59008) 1 ball
- Size U.S. 11 (8 mm) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- 2 st markers
- Spare needle
Gauge: 11 sts and 14 rows = 4" [10 cm] with Bernat® Softee® Chunky™ in stocking st.
Measurements: Approx 6½" x 40" [16.5 x 101.5 cm]
- Alt = Alternate(ing)
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Inc1 = Increase 1 stitch by knitting into the
- front and back of next stitch
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- M1 = Make 1 stitch by picking up horizontal loop lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- P2tog = Purl next 2 stitches together
- Rep = Repeat(s)
- RS = Right side
- Ssk = Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Tog = Together
- WS = Wrong side
Note: Scarf is worked from Ears to Tail. Head is folded over body of Scarf to create keyhole.
Ears (make 2).
With A, cast on 1 st.
1st row: (RS). Inc1. 2 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. M1. K1. 3 sts.
5th row: (K1. M1) twice. K1. 5 sts.
7th row: K1. M1. K3. M1. K1. 7 sts.
9th row: K1. M1. K5. M1. K1. 9 sts.
10th row: Purl. Break A.
11th row: With MC, knit.
12th row: Purl. Rep last 2 rows (stocking st) once more. Do not cast off. Leave all sts on a spare needle.
Join Ears: (RS). With MC, K9 from First Ear. K9 from Second Ear. 18 sts. Beg with a purl row, work 7 rows in stocking st. Place marker at each end of last row.
Shape snout: 1st row: (RS). K1. (ssk) twice. K8. (K2tog) twice. K1. 14 sts.
2nd row: Purl.
3rd row: K1. (ssk) twice. K4. (K2tog) twice. K1. 10 sts.
4th row: Purl.
5th row: K1. ssk. K4. K2tog. K1. 8 sts. Beg with a purl row, work 5 rows even in stocking st. Place marker at each end of last row. Break MC.
Nose: With A, work 10 rows in stocking st. Break A. With MC, work 6 rows in stocking st.
1st row: (RS). K1. M1. K6. M1. K1. 10 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: (K1. M1) twice. K6. (M1. K1) twice. 14 sts.
5th row: (K1. M1) twice. K10. (M1. K1) twice. 18 sts. Beg with a purl row, work 7 rows even in stocking st.
Body: Next row: (RS). Cast off 2 sts. Knit to end of row.
Next row: Cast off 2 sts. Purl to end of row. 14 sts.
Note: RS and WS are reversed from this point forward. Work even in garter st (knit every row) until work from last cast off row measures 24" [61 cm], ending on a WS row.
Shape Tail: 1st row: (RS). K1. ssk. Knit to last 3 sts. K2tog. K1.
2nd and alt rows: Purl. Rep last 2 rows 3 times more. 6 sts.
Next row: K1. M1. Knit to last 2 sts. M1. K1.
Next row: Purl. Rep last 2 rows 3 times more. 14 sts. Work 4 rows even in stocking st. Break MC. With 2 strands of B tog, proceed as follows:
1st row: (RS). K1. (ssk) twice. K4. (K2tog) twice. K1. 10 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. ssk. K4. K2tog. K1. 8 sts.
5th row: K1. ssk. K2. K2tog. K1. 6 sts.
7th row: K1. ssk. K2tog. K1. 4 sts.
9th row: ssk. K2tog. 2 sts.
10th row: P2tog. 1 st. Fasten off.
Fold Head over Body at center of Nose. Sew Nose tog along color change row (being careful not to allow sts to show at RS of Head). Sew Head to Body along row at base of Ears.
Right Cheek: With RS facing and 2 strands of B tog, pick up and knit 10 sts along Right side of Head between marked rows.
1st row: Cast off 4 sts. Knit to end of row.
2nd row: Cast off 2 sts. Knit to end of row. Cast off.
Left Cheek: With RS facing and 2 strands of B tog, beg at top marker, pick up and knit 10 sts along Left side of Head between markers.
1st row: Cast off 2 sts. Knit to end of row.
2nd row: Cast off 4 sts. Knit to end of row. Cast off.
Eyes: With A, using Stem st, embroider Eyes as shown in photo.
Read NextSpooky Treat Bags
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
This Orange Cabled Knit Mittens Pattern is vibrant and full of style. With a bold, chunky cable knitting pattern, these knitted… Continue reading: "Orange Cabled Knit Mittens Pattern"
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You