Get a taste of heaven on Earth with the Angel Shawl. This delightful knit lace shawl will look beautiful when wrapped around your shoulders on a cold day. Worked from the center out, youll be delighted as this shawl grows in front of your eyes. Knitters new to lace will be excited to know that, other than casing on, mostly basic stitches are used to create this lace. All of your hard work will be well worth the reward when you can proudly show off your finished project to all of your friends.
Knitting Needle Size4 or 3.5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(2) Fine (23-26 stitches to 4 inches)
40"/101.5cm diameter at widest from point to point
Materials and Tools
- Debbie Bliss Angel (76% super kid mohair, 24% silk; 0.88oz/25g = 219yd/ 200m): 4 skeins, color #19—approx 876yds/800m of sport weight yarn
- Knitting needles: 3.5mm (size 4 U.S.) 1 set of 4 DPNs, 16", 32", and 47" circular needles or size to obtain gauge
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
1 repeat of highlighted sts in chart 2 (14 sts/28 rows) = 3½"/9cm wide, 4½"/11.5cm tall, washed and blocked
Always take time to check your gauge.
- Only odd-numbered rounds are charted; all even rounds are knit around.
- 7-stitch nupps are used throughout.
- Shawl is worked from the center out. For directions for Belly Button cast on, see techniques (page 17). Begin with DPNs or 2 circulars using your preferred method, switching to longer needles when able.
4 into 1 decrease: Slip 2 sts together knitwise, k2tog, pass the 2 slipped stitches over this stitch. 4 stitches decreased into 1 stitch.
Using the Belly Button cast on method (page 17), cast on 6 sts. Join to work in the round, place marker for beginning of round, and knit 1 round.
Round 1: (K1, yo, PM) repeat around—12 sts.
Round 2 and all even rounds: Knit around.
Round 3: (K1, yo) repeat around—24 sts.
Round 5: (K1, yo, k3, yo) repeat around—36 sts.
Round 7: (K1, yo, k5, yo) repeat around—48 sts.
Round 9: (K1, yo, k7, yo) repeat around—60 sts.
Work chart 1 rounds 1–14, repeating chart 6 times in each round—144 sts total.
Work chart 2 rounds 1–28 twice, repeating highlighted sts as needed to marker—480 sts total.
Work chart 3 rounds 1–20, repeating highlighted sts 5 times between each set of markers.
On round 20, remove all markers except beginning of round marker—672 sts total.
Work chart 4 rounds 1–9, repeating chart 42 times around.
Round 10: Bind off knitwise, using lace bind off (see page 20).
Weave in all ends.
Block piece to measurements.
This gorgeous pattern is an excerpt from Brooke Nico's Lovely Knitted Lace.
Read NextStrawberry Sunrise Shawlette