Knitting For Beginners Guide: 42 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
By: Caitlin Eaton, Editor, AllFreeKnitting.com
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
If you're new to the knitting world, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to create beautiful, handmade garments for your friends and family. Once you learn the basics of knitting, there are plenty of free knitting patterns for beginners for every season. Whether you're looking for free knitting patterns for beginners hats, or if you're hoping to snag a few easy scarf knitting patterns, you're bound to find something you like in this collection. Do you have a birthday party coming up, or a special event like a wedding? Use that opportunity to learn a new skill and make your own gift! Knitting for beginners doesn't have to be difficult; once you know the basics (with the help of some free tutorials), you'll find that there's a wide variety of free knitting patterns to suit all tastes.
Find tons of helpful tips and tricks in our free eBook: Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners!
Knitting For Beginners Guide: 42 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
Table of Contents
Do you want to go over some knitting basics before you tackle a new project? Review the fundementals with Knitting for Beginners: A Collection of Free Knitting Tutorials!
Before you can tackle any of these beginning knitting patterns, you're going to need to learn the basics! Some of you might have already learned the essentials, but a refresher never hurts. With this collection of straightforward knitting tutorials, you should have no problem completing any one of the beginning knitting patterns below. Most of our tutorials come in the form of very helpful videos, so you can pause, rewind, and go at your own pace while learning how to knit. Ready your needles, beginners, and get ready to learn one of the most fun skills ever!
How to Cast On: Knitting
- How to Make a Slip Knot
- How to Cast On Using Two Needles
- How to Knit with Straight Needles
- A Purl Stitch Video Tutorial
- How to Increase Stitches
- How to Decrease Stitches
- How to Bind Off
- Easy Arm Knitting Video for Knitters
- Knitting in the Round
- Changing Colors in Knitting
The difficulty about knitting for beginners is that you can feel limited in what you can accomplish. Don't feel this way! There are plenty of free knitting patterns for beginners that are simple enough for you to tackle, even if you don't know every knitting technique in the book. This collection of hat patterns is a great place to get started. Once you've knit your way through simple patterns, you're bound to be able to try something a little more challenging, like hats! If you're not familiar with circular knitting needles, don't worry. Many of the patterns featured below use straight knitting needles. You'll just need to seam them up the back to create a nice round shape.
- Cobblestone Hat
- Simple Hoodie Hat
- Basic Adult Knitted Beanie
- Super Chunky Textured Hat
- Basic Blue Striped Beanie
- Beginner Easy Ribbed Pom Hat
- Everyday Beginner Chunky Toddler Hat
- Plait Hat - NEW!
- Spring Meadow Seed Stitch Beanie - NEW!
- Rainbow Children's Beanie - NEW!
The best friend of any knitter, this collection of basic knit scarf patterns are particularly fun for beginners. Depending on the pattern, you might be able to knit your own stylish accessory - for any season - in a matter of hours this weekend! Scarves also make great gifts for a variety of occasions, whether it's a birthday party, a holiday gift, or a handmade present for a special friend. I know you'll love these free knitting patterns! Free and simple - what more could you ask for in a scarf?
- Easy Mistake Stitch Scarf
- Simple Lucky Scarf
- Bark Knit Scarf
- 15 Minute Arm Knit Infinity Scarf
- Garden Trellis Scarf
- Sea Glass Knit Scarf
- Eggnog Knit Scarf Pattern
- Unisex Knit Cowl - NEW!
- Street Chic Seed Stitch Scarf - NEW!
- Zippy Loom Infinity Scarf - NEW!
- Margo Hot Pink Cowl - NEW!
While quick knitting projects are fun for taking with you on the go, larger projects are wonderful for practicing knitting skills and can be extremely rewarding, too. In this collection of beautiful afghan patterns, you'll find a group of blankets composed of simple stitches that make a big impact on your home decor. Many of the blankets below feature the garter stitch, which is just the repeated knit stitch over and over again. As you continue knitting the same stitch, the motion will become more natural and your speed will increase. At the end of all that practice, you'll also have your own homemade afghan! These easy knitting patterns are more than worth the effort.
- Sherbet Surprise Afghan
- Brenda's Knit Stitch Afghan
- Easy Blanket
- Checkerboard Seed Stitch Blanket
- Effortless Cherry Wine Afghan
- Country Cottage Blanket
- Rainbow Knit Blanket Pattern - NEW!
The fun doesn't stop there. Here, we've compiled for you fourteen bonus free knitting patterns for beginners so you can perfect the art and create something fantastic all at the same time. You'll be astounded at how simple these patterns are, and probably find yourself wondering why you didn't start knitting sooner. Maybe you've worked through all of our free knitting patterns for beginners but aren't quite ready yet to move onto more complicated patterns. These are your next projects, you eager knitters. With these bonus patterns, you'll get the hang of knitting in no time.
- Beginner's Bulky Scarf
- Cloud Nine Cowl
- Fruits of the Forest Scarf
- Colorful Sunbeams Blanket
- Still River Baby Blanket
- Charming Rustic Cushion Cover
- Stormy Weather Blanket
- Super Simple Neutral Cowl
- Essential Effortless Afghan
- Quick Stockinette Stitch Hat
- Unbelievably Easy Knit Dishcloth - NEW!
- Chunky Slouchy Leg Warmers - NEW!
- Precious Newborn Striped Skirt - NEW!
- Colorful Bias Knit Dishcloth - NEW!
Do you want to keep working on the basics? You might want to check out Learn How to Knit with a Knit Dishcloth Pattern: 10 Patterns for Beginners.
What's your favorite beginner knitting pattern? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Your Knit Guide to Winter: 11 Easy Knitting Patterns from Bergere de France
- Knitting For Beginners Guide: 42 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 Free Knit Patterns in Seed Stitch
- 26 Straight Needle Knitting Patterns You Need
- How to Knit a Sweater or Top for Any Season: 305 Free Knitting Patterns
- "9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day" eBook
- Bundle Up: 35 Free Knitting Patterns Made with Bulky Weight Yarn
- "9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring" eBook
- "15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season" eBook
- Top 100 Knitting Patterns: Knit Scarves, Afghans, Cardigans, and More
- 5 Knit Christmas Stocking Patterns
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- Knitting for Baby: 6 Knit Baby Blankets
- Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- Mother's Day Crafts for Adults: 9 Easy Knitting Projects for Mom
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Sandy Winter Cable Cowl
- Garter Stitch Bow Tie Scarf
- Fisherman's Rib Slouchy Beanie
- Sweetish Subtlety Hat
- Rainbow Knit Blanket Pattern
- Gargantuan Infinity Scarf
- Favorite Ribbed Hat for Straight Needles
- Grammy's Favorite Potholders
- Evangelina Lace Scarf
- Free Hearted Washcloth