Kate's Ruffled Shawl
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
A royal treat! This adorable knit shawl pattern was inspired by a similar item worn by the beloved Kate Middleton. Kate's Ruffled Shawl is a fun shawl to throw on for a quick errand or whenever you feel like looking a little more polished. This knit ruffle shawl looks great in green (as seen on Kate), but another solid color would be just as charming. Cute and completely versatile, this pattern is a great project for the intermediate knitter looking to master the ruffled hem technique.
Knitting Needle Size: 8 or 5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- RED HEART® “Soft Yarn®”: 4 balls 9523 Dark Leaf.
- Knitting Needles: 5mm [US 8] circular needle, 32” long.
- Stitch markers
- Removable split ring stitch markers (optional)
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 19 sts = 4”; 19 rows = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needle to obtain the gauge.
k = knit
st(s) = stitch(es)
yo = yarn over
* = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
NOTE: Ruffle is worked in two pieces to keep the number of stitches on needle from becoming difficult to manage.
PATTERN STITCH (multiple of 4 sts)
Row 1 (Right Side): *K1, slip 1, k1, yo, pass slipped st over both knit st and yo, k1; repeat from * across.
Row 2: Purl.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for pattern stitch.
Beginning at bottom point, cast on 5 sts.
Purl 1 wrong side row.
Row 1 (Right Side): K2, yo, k1, yo, k2—7 sts.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: K2, yo, knit to last 2 sts, yo, k2—9 sts.
Row 4: Purl.
Row 5: K2, yo, k2, yo, place marker, k1, place marker, yo, k2, yo, k2—13 sts.
Row 6: Purl, slipping markers as you come to them.
NOTE: The next four rows establish the pattern. Each Right Side row will begin K2, yo and end yo, k2. It may be helpful to mark the beginning and end of the first and last complete pattern repeats on each side of the marked center stitch using removable stitch markers.
Row 7: K2, yo, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to first marker, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to last 2 sts, yo, k2—17 sts.
Row 8: Purl, slipping markers as you come to them.
Row 9: K2, yo, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to 2 sts before first marker, k2, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, k2, work Row 1 of Pattern Stitch to last 2 sts, yo, k2—21 sts.
Row 10: Purl, slipping markers as you come to them.
Repeat Rows 7–10, until there are 285 sts on needle. End with a Wrong Side row. Bind off loosely, leaving last st on needle.
With Right Side facing and beginning at top left corner of shawl with remaining st on needle, pick up and knit 144 stitches across left edge to bottom point (145 sts on needle), place maker, pick up and knit 1 stitch in point, place marker, pick up and knit 145 sts across right edge of shawl, ending at top right corner— 291 sts.
Slip markers as you come to them.
Row 1 (Wrong Side): P1, *yo, p1; repeat from * across—581 sts.
Row 2: Knit to first marker, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, knit to end – 583 sts.
Row 3: Purl.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 three more times.
Bind off loosely, leaving last st on needle.
With Right Side facing and beginning at top right edge with remaining st on needle, pick up and knit 8 sts across right side edge of Bottom Ruffle (9 sts on needle), pick up and knit 285 sts across top edge of shawl to top left corner of shawl, pick up and knit 9 sts across left side edge of Bottom Ruffle – 303 sts.
Row 1 (Wrong Side): P1, *yo, p1; repeat from * across – 605 sts.
Beginning with a knit row (Right Side), work 8 more rows in Stockinette st (knit on Right Side, purl on Wrong Side).
Bind off loosely.
Weave in ends. Wet block if desired.
Shawl measures 62” wide (measured across top edge) and 31” long (measured from center back neck to point). Ruffle adds 5” to length and width.
If you like this pattern, be sure to check out our other cold weather knits here.
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- The Best of the Midwest Stitches Fashion Show: 7 New Inspiring Free Shawl Patterns, Knit Tops & More
- Oversized Shawl
- Mindless Sideways Shawl
- Mystic Forest Shawl
- Unbelievably Easy Shawl
- 19 Shawl Knitting Patterns for Fall
- Winter Wavelets Shawl
- Amazing Mitered Shawl
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall Free eBook
- Mountain Peaks Shawl
- 7 Free Knitting Patterns for Homemade Halloween Costumes and Easy Decorating Ideas
- 8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
- 9 Christmas Knitting Patterns: Easy Knit Scarves for the Holidays
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall
- Free Knitting Designs for Fall: 8 Knit Sweater Patterns, Scarves, Bags and More
- How to Knit a Hat Volume 2: Free Knit Hat Patterns for the Whole Family
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- Knit Christmas Stocking Patterns
- Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Soho's Snood Kit
- Effortless Cherry Wine Afghan
- Peppermint Stripes Baby Blanket
- Knitting for Teens: 36 Trendy Free Knitting Patterns They'll Love
- Different Knitting Stitches: 121 Patterns for Garter, Seed, Cable, and More
- Chevron Stitch Knitting: 10 Trendy Patterns
- Essential Berry Beret
- Arm Knit Scarf Kit
- Quilted Blankie
- Spun Sugar Baby Blanket