Hot Air Balloon Hats
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Knitting for babies and kids has never been this adorable! These Hot Air Balloon Hats include sizing options for both a knit baby hat and knit child's hat. Created with fluffy pom poms and a twisted cable design, these hats are visually striking and perfect for keeping little noggins nice and toasty.
Special thanks to Karidenver 5848988 for selecting the name "Hot Air Balloon Hats."
Knitting Needle Size: 8 or 5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight: (4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
SIZES: Baby (kids)
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: Head Circumference 15-16" (17–18”)
- Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic)
- #9726 Soft Yellow (MC), 2 1/2 oz/71 gr
- #9719 Soft Pink (A), 1 oz/28.3 gr;
- #9739 Soft Green (B), 1oz/28.3 gr
- Caron International's Simply Soft Brites (100% acrylic)
- #9504 Limelight (MC), 3 oz/85 gr
- #9609 Berry Blue (A), 1 oz/28.3 gr
- #9604 Watermelon (B), 1 oz/28.3 gr
- One circular needle size US 8 (5mm) needles 20" or 24" long or size to obtain gauge
- Cable needle (cn)
- Yarn needle
- Pompom maker for 1 1/2" pompoms
In k2, p2 rib, 20 sts and 24 rows = 4"/10cm
In Crisscross stitch, 20 sts and 24 rows = 4"/10cm
K2, p2 rib
Right Cross: Slip 2 sts to cn and hold in back, k2, k2 from cn needle.
Left Cross: Slip 2 sts to cn and hold in front, k2, k2 from cn
Crisscross stitch: (multiple of 6 + 2 for selvage edges)
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2 and all even-numbered rows: Purl.
Row 3: K1, *right cross on 4 sts, k2; repeat from * across, ending with k1.
Row 5: Knit.
Row 7: K1, *k2, left cross on 4 sts; repeat from * across, ending with k1.
Row 8: Purl
Repeat Rows 1-8 for the Crisscross pattern.
With A, cast on 74 (86) sts. Work in k2, p2 rib for 3 rows. With B, work in k2, p2 rib for 3 rows. With MC, purl 1 row.
With MC, work in Crisscross pattern for 5" (6"), ending with pattern Row 4.
Row 5: *K8, k2 tog; repeat from *to* across, ending with k4 (k6) -- 67 (78) sts.
Row 6: Purl.
Row 7: K3, *work left cross on next 4 sts, k2tog; repeat from * across, ending with k4 (k3) -- 57 (66) sts.
Row 8: Purl.
Row 1: *K3, k2tog; repeat from * to* across, ending with k2 (1) -- 46 (53) sts.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: *K2, k2tog; repeat from * across, ending with k2 (1) -- 35 (40) sts.
Row 4: Purl.
Row 5: *K1, k2tog; rep from * across, ending with k2 (1) -- 24 (27) sts.
For Baby only:
Row 6: P2 tog across -- 12 sts. End off leaving a long enough tail to sew back seam. Note: Hat should measure approximately. 6".
For Kids’ only:
Row 6: Purl.
Row 7: K2 tog across, end k1 -- 14 sts.
Row 8: Purl. End off here leaving a long enough tail to sew back seam.
s Hat is approx. 7 1/2".
Sew back seam.
Make 6 for each hat -- 2 in each of the 3 colors used. Leave about a 6-7" tail on each pompom. Pull all the tails from the 6 pompoms through the hole in top of hat and secure tightly on the inside of hat.
Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 5 Knit Christmas Stocking Patterns
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- Knitting for Baby: 6 Knit Baby Blankets
- Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- Mother's Day Crafts for Adults: 9 Easy Knitting Projects for Mom
- 9 Christmas Knitting Patterns: Easy Knit Scarves for the Holidays
- 11 Free Knitting Patterns for 4th of July
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- How to Knit a Hat: 7 Cozy Free Knit Hat Patterns
- Free Knitting Designs for Fall: 8 Knit Sweater Patterns, Scarves, Bags and More
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- How to Knit a Sweater: 7 Free Sweater Patterns
- New Favorites from Lion Brand: 15 Free Knitting Patterns for Scarves, Afghans and More
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- The Most Popular Patterns for Afghans: 16 Knit & Crochet Afghan Patterns
- The Best of the Midwest Stitches Fashion Show: 7 New Inspiring Free Shawl Patterns, Knit Tops & More
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall
- The Best of the East Fashion Show & Marketplace Favorites: 7 Knitted Scarf Patterns, Free Knit Tops & More
- 7 Free Knitting Patterns for Homemade Halloween Costumes and Easy Decorating Ideas
- 8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You
- Knitting Free Patterns for Summer: 7 Sizzling Knit Tops, Knit Sweater Patterns & More
- Knitted Scarf Patterns Volume 2: Even more of your favorite knit scarf patterns
- How to Knit a Hat Volume 2: Free Knit Hat Patterns for the Whole Family
- Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3
- Knitting in the Round: 10 Knit Sock Patterns and Knitted Slipper Patterns
- How to Knit an Infinity Scarf + 9 Fashionable Cowl Knitting Patterns
- Red Heart Patterns for Baby: 12 Easy Knitting Patterns for Little Ones