Shepherd's Shades Yarn Review
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Shepherd's Shades Yarn Review
Reviewed by Christine Weiher, Editor, AllFreeKnitting.com
A fun fact you may not have known about wool is that it absorbs perspiration while resisting water. It keeps you warm, but it allows you to breathe, it's odor-resistant and it can return to its original shape after being distressed. Wool wearables are one of the highest quality garments you can wear, so we must introduce you to Shepherd's Shades from Brown Sheep Company, Inc.
Shepherd's Shades is 100% wool spun with six plies; it's one of the toughest, yet smooth yarns from Brown Sheep. Each color is dyed in a light, medium and dark shade, allowing you to work up gradient patterns. This yarn knits quickly into fabulous, durable projects like sweaters, afghans and accessories.
This yarn is approximately 131 yards per skein and is mothproofed. What does this mean? Many knitters fear that moths can get into their yarn supply and destroy it. The solution? Yarn manufacturers make mothproof wool that is chemically treated to repel moths; the chemical is added to the yarn in the dye bath at the same time as any coloring. Much like dye, the chemical will not rub off or wash off when you wash your item. If you're unsure about using mothproofed wool yarn you can always use an organic wool, instead.
If you're not bothered by the mothproofed wool, you'll love all the fabulous shades to choose from like Fire, Maple Sugar, Carnation Quartz, Azalea, Pineapple, Spearmint and so many more; there are over 70 colors to choose from the Shephard's Shades collection.
With a yarn like this that is made in the U.S. you must give it a try.
What is your favorite wool yarn to knit with? Comment below and let us know!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- Ch'i Recycled Silk Ribbon Kimono Jacket Kit S-L
- Enter to win Caron Simply Soft Yarn to make the Mood Scarf!
- Thin Organic Cotton
- Martha Stewart Crafts Knit & Weave Loom Kit
- Chance to Win a Anne Geddes Baby Yarn and Learn to Mini Loom Kit!
- Chance to Win a Bundle of Paintbox Yarns Wool Mix Aran Yarn!
- Win Red Heart Scrubby Yarn!
- Eclair Yarn
- Chance to Win a Bundle of Red Heart Hygge Yarn!
- Enter to win Sweet Roll Yarn!
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- How To Knit Through The Back Loop
- How To Knit A Long Tail Cast On Photo Tutorial
- How To Wash A Skein Of Yarn Before Using
- Laverna Shawlette
- Knit a Sweater Cardigan Style: 11 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 15 Baby Afghan Knitting Patterns
- Knitting Stitch #7
- Knit Aran Baby Romper
- Adalicaia Bonnet
- Beach Scarf
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You