Mt. Vernon Shawl
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Comfort and elegance collide in this beautiful Mt. Vernon Shawl. In addition to lace knitting skills, you'll need to master the provisional cast-on method to begin this classy design. Aside from the lace edging, which is knit separately then seamed onto the finished garment, minimal seaming is required to complete this shawl.
Knitting Needle Size7 or 4.5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight(1) Super Fine (27-32 stitches to 4 inches)
Size: Approximately 75” x 35” (arch)
Gauge: 25 sts and 21 rows over 4” in lace pattern
- 3 Hanks Tilli Tomas Pure & Simple (3.5oz/100g, 260yds/238m, 100% spun silk) in Parchment (A)
- 2 Hanks Tilli Tomas Salt & Pepper (225yds/206m, 100% spun silk with seed beads) in Washington (B)
- #7 US (4.5 mm) 24” circular knitting needles
- Spare knitting needle
- Tapestry needle
- Size G crochet hook
- Scrap yarn
BO: bind off
CO: cast on
K2tog: knit 2 sts together
P2sso: pass 2 slipped sts over
Psso: pass slipped st over
Ssk: slip, slip, knit
Wyib: with yarn in back
Wyif: with yarn in front
Yo: yarn over
Using provisional cast on with crochet hook and
scrap yarn, CO 69 sts. Start with color A as follows:
Row 1 and all WS (odd) rows: K3, purl to last 3 sts, k3
Row 2 (RS): *K3, ssk, yo, k5, (yo, k1) 5 times, yo, k5,yo, k2tog* rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
Row 4: *K3, ssk, yo, ssk, k1, (k2tog, yo) twice, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, (yo, ssk) twice, k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog* rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
Row 6: *K3, ssk, yo, [sl 2, k1, p2sso], yo, k2tog, yo, k5, yo, k1, yo, k5, yo, ssk, yo, [sl 2, k1, p2sso], yo, k2tog* rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
Row 8: *K3, [sl 1, k2tog, psso], yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, [sl 2, k1, p2sso], yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, yo, k3tog* rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
Row 10: *K4, k2tog, yo, k3, (yo, sl 2, k1, p2sso) 3 times, yo, k3, yo, ssk, k1* rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
Repeat rows 1-10 a total of 27 times (270 rows).
Leave sts on needle.
Note: The side panel is worked horizontally and is meant to pull in the shawl creating an arch. The side panel will become the top of the shawl when worn.
Pick up and knit 144 sts on left side of body with color B as follows:
Row 1 and 3 (WS): With B, purl
Row 2 (RS): With B, knit
Row 4: With A, k11, *turn, sl 1 wyif, k3, turn, p4, k12* rep from *, end last rep k1 instead of k12
Row 5: With A, k5, *turn, p4, turn, k3, sl 1 wyif, k12* rep from *, end last rep k7 instead of k12
Row 6: With B, k8, sl 2 wyib, k10* rep from *, end last rep k2 instead of k10
Row 7, 8 and 9: With B, rep rows 1, 2 and 3
Row 10: With A, k5, *turn, sl 1 wyif, k3, turn, p4, k12* rep from *, end last rep k7 instead of k12
Row 11: With A, k11, *turn, p4, turn, k3, sl 1 wyif, k12* rep from *, end last rep k1 instead of k12
Row 12: With B, k2, *sl 2 wyib, k10* rep from *, end last rep k8 instead of k10
Purl 1 row, then knit 1 row. BO loosely purlwise.
Lace Edging (Make 2 Alike)
With B, CO 20 sts. Knit one row, then continue as follows:
Row 1: Sl 1, k3, (yo, k2tog) 7 times, yo, k2
Row 2, 4, 6 and 8: Knit
Row 3: Sl 1, k6, (yo, k2tog) 6 times, yo, k2
Row 5: Sl 1, k9, (yo, k2tog) 5 times, yo, k2
Row 7: Sl 1, k12, (yo, k2tog) 4 times, yo, k2
Row 9: Sl 1, k23
Row 10: BO 4, k19
Repeat rows 1-10 a total of 16 times (160 rows). BO knitwise.
Using 3 needle bind off, attach lace edgings to either side of body. Weave in all loose ends with tapestry needle and block to desired size.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- What is Musk Ox Yarn? + 20 Qiviut Yarn Patterns
- Crown Jewel English Rib Hat
- Wriggly Cowl
- Garter Stitch Bias Top
- Yet Another Heart-shaped Potholder
- Wrap Me In Sunshine Shawl
- Coziest Cable Cardigan
- Broken Rib Hat
- What is Viscose Yarn? + 24 Knitting Patterns
- Easy Hand Warmers Knitting Pattern For Children
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You