The Best of the Midwest Stitches Fashion Show: 7 New Inspiring Free Shawl Patterns, Knit Tops & More
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
For a fresh project with plenty of zing, try this Zesty Citron Shawlette. The green and cream colors are reminiscent of fresh garden vegetables in late spring. Paired with the gorgeous rippling border, this summer shawl is just the accent to an outfit for all sophisticated ladies out there looking to impress. If you look closely, you can see this unique knit shawl pattern features two different colors of green - a sweet little detail that really adds some extra dimension to this pretty knit shawl.
Knitting Needle Size3 or 3.25 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight(1) Super Fine (27-32 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge1 stitches, 2 rows, 3 inches. stockinette stitch
- Willow Yarns™ Quest (50% superwash merino wool/ 25% nylon/25% bamboo; 100g/462yd)
- A: 730031-0007 Polar Bear - 1 ball
- B: 730031-0012 Tree Frog - 2 balls
- C: 730031-0011 Grasshopper - 1 ball
- US size 3 (3.25mm) 32" circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- 8 stitch markers, 4 each in 2 colors
- Yarn needle
Width: 70" (178cm)
Length: 29" (74cm)
BO: bind off
CO: cast on
inc’s, inc’d: increases, increased
k2tog: knit 2 stitches together
pm: place marker
RS: right side
sk2p: slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slip stitch over the knit 2 together—2 stitches decreased
ssk: slip, slip, knit these 2 stitches together—a decrease is made
WS: wrong side
yo: yarn over
Gauge: 28 sts x 48 rows = 4" (10.2cm) in garter st, blocked. Save time, check your gauge.
Main striping pat:
*12 rows A, 4 rows B, 4 rows C, 4 rows B, 12 rows A, 4 rows C, 4 rows B, 4 rows C; rep from * for striping pat.
Border striping pat:
*6 rows B, 6 rows C; rep from * twice more, then work remainder of border in B.
- Use st m in 1 color to mark inc’s at the beg, middle, and ends of the row.
- Use st m in a second color to mark the beg and end of ripple in border.
With A, CO 3 sts.
K 6 rows.
After last row, pick up and k3 along side of tab, then 3 sts along CO edge—9 sts.
Next Row: K3, (pm, k1) 3 times, pm, k3.
Beg main striping pat.
Row 1 (RS): K3, sl m, yo, k to m, yo, sl m, k1, sl m, yo, k to m, yo, sl m, k3—4 sts inc’d.
Row 2 (WS): K.
Rep last 2 rows until you have worked through main striping pat 4 times, then rep last 2 rows in A 6 more times—417 sts.
Note: M placed in this row should be a second color to help keep pat straight.
Beg border striping pat.
Row 1 (RS): K3, *sl m, yo, pm, (k1, yo, k4, sk2p, k4, yo) to 1 before next m, k1, pm, yo, sl m, k1; rep from * once more, k2—4 sts inc’d.
Rows 2 and 8 (WS): K.
Rows 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11: K3, *sl m, yo, k to m, sl m, (k1, yo, k4, sk2p, k4, yo) to 1 before m, k1, sl m, k to m, yo, sl m, k1; rep from * once more, k2—4 sts inc’d.
Rows 4, 6, and 10: K3, p to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 12: K3, p to last 3 sts removing m placed on Row 1, k3.
Row 13: K3, *sl m, yo, pm, ssk, k4, yo, (k1, yo, k4, sk2p, k4, yo) to 7 before next m, k1, yo, k4, k2tog, pm, yo, sl m, k1; rep from * once more, k2—4 sts inc’d.
Row 14 and 20: K.
Rows 15, 17, 19, 21, and 23: K3, *sl m, yo, k to m, sl m, ssk, k4, yo, (k1, yo, k4, sk2p, k4, yo) to 7 before next m, k1, yo, k4, k2tog, sl m, k to next m, yo, sl m, k1; rep from * once more, k2—4 sts inc’d.
Rows 16, 18, and 22: K3, p to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 24: K3, p to last 3 sts removing m placed on Row 13, k3.
Rep Rows 1-24 once more, then Rows 1-14 again.
BO very loosely.
Weave in ends. Lightly block, pinning out points on border.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- The Top 5 Knitting Blogs for Beginners
- Special Free Lacy Scarf Knit Pattern
- Quick & Super Easy Sleep Sock Pattern
- Azalea Top-Down Lace Sweater
- Diagonal Knit Square
- Simple Sage Handkerchief
- Connect the Dots
- Lacy Chevron Baby Blanket
- Seed Stitch Cable Headband
- Celestial Cuffs
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You