Easy Child's Poncho Pattern
This precious poncho is a quick knit for last minute gifts!
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
"Pattern shown is sized for a 4-5 year old girl. Pattern worked in one piece except for the collar. Piece measures 12" across the front and back and 15" from shoulder to hem. Can be made with or without buttons just be sure to attach the buttons to the inside of the back panel matching up with the buttonholes. The buttons shown are sparkly iridescent flowers that actually cost more than the yarn! But that would be your own preference. In hindsight I would probably make the collar a little bigger with more rowns for a more dramatic effect."
From The Editors: This knitting pattern is truly a great go-to for last minute gifts. It works up quickly, and there's very little fuss with complicated and intricate designs. Some patterns for children are needlessly overdesigned, especially for a garment that they're probably going to outgrow in a year or so anyway.
Knitting Needle Size7 or 4.5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
- One skein 7oz (198 g) Red Heart Lavender worsted weight
- size 7 needles
- size 9 circular 16" needles for collar
- stitch holder
- 6 buttons
With size 7 needles, Cast on 63 sts.
Knit 12 rows for front hem
Row 13: k6 sts, (k1, p1) to last 6 sts, k6 sts
Row 14: k6 sts, (p1, k1) to last 6 sts, k6 sts
These 2 rows create the overall pattern.
Row 15 (Buttonhole Row): *k3 (yrn k2tog) k2**, repeat from * to ** to the last 6 sts, then k2 (yrn k2tog) k3
Rows 16 to 29: work in pattern
Row 30 (Buttonhole Row): Repeat row 15
Rows 31 to 44: work in pattern
Row 45 (Buttonhole Row): Repeat row 15
Work next 38 rows in pattern.
Neck and Shoulders
Neck row: k6, work 15 sts in pattern, bind off next 21 sts (in pattern), work next 15 sts in pattern, k6
Shoulder Row: Work first 21 sts for 4 rows and move to stitch holder
Work last 21 sts for 4 rows, break off yarn at end.
Start with stitches on holder: k6, work 15 sts in pattern
Cast on 21 stitches (to form neck)
Work remaining 15 sts in pattern, k6
Work pattern (k6 beg and end of each row) for 71 rows
Rows 72 - 83: knit all stitches for back hem
Bind off in pattern
With size 9 16" circular needles, pick up 48 sts at the neck, then knit 1 row, purl 1 row for desired number of rows (collar pictured is 12 k rows and 12 p rows)
Bind off loosely in pattern.
Attach buttons to the inside of the back panel matching with the buttonholes on front.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
This Apricot Cocoa Striped Scarf Pattern has tons of personality and is long enough to get lost in. With 4 lovely accent colors, the… Continue reading: "Apricot Cocoa Striped Scarf Patternvideocam"
- Easy Child's Poncho Pattern
- Knit Blue Porcelain Girl’s Lace Dress
- 30 Free Knitting Patterns for 2 to 3 Year Olds
- Fluffy Mix Sweater
- Free Child’s Easy Sweater Knit Pattern
- 26 Free Knitting Patterns for a 2 Year Old Boy
- Lollipop Hat
- Sweet Sailor Knit Dress Pattern
- Girl's Stockinette Argyle Dress
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- The Ice Diamond Headband
- Crochet Mouse Catnip Toy For Cats
- Rendezvous Knit Lace Shawl
- Gemma Knit Lace Cowl
- Willow Knit Lace Vest
- Gracie Knit Lace Shawl
- Sydney Easy Knit Blanket
- Barbara Easy Knit
- Scrubbi Knit Bobble Dishcloths
- Raquel Easy Knit Scarf
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You