Everything the Internet Didn't Teach You About Knitting
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
YouTube videos can teach anyone how to complete basic knitting stitches, but they don't explain all the different types of yarn, help to choose which needles are best for a project, explain just what the purpose is of those odd looking knitting tools, or what to do if you realize you made a mistake somewhere along the line. This can lead to many frustrated crafters being unsure of which supplies to purchase or how best to pick up that dropped stitch.
Everything the Internet Didn't Teach You About Knitting by Rita Weiss is an ideal gift and a valuable resource for a novice knitter. Written to help a friend who taught herself basic knitting stitches, this book clearly and concisely explains many things that experienced knitters learn as they go. Photos and charts are helpfully included to illustrate each topic.
Clearly explaining the different types of needles available as well as their pros and cons helps take away the confusion that can overwhelm a new knitter when faced with so many different choices. Detailed information on the various fibers available, from acrylic to soy and everything in between, as well as help in deciphering the ball band will help make future yarn purchases simple and fun.
There is even a short chapter detailing the importance of gauge - a phrase often mentioned but not often explained online. Chapters on reading and working a pattern will help simplify the sometimes intimidating process of knitting from a written pattern.
This book, which is small enough to tuck into any knitting bag, includes basic knitting instructions plus a few beginner projects. Patterns for two washcloths are easy enough for a beginner, while a simple hat pattern allows a new knitter to learn a new skill by decreasing stitches. It's easy to add embellishments with the clear instructions for making fringe and tassels.
Even an advanced knitter would benefit from this book - it includes a helpful chart of those washing instruction symbols that can be so confusing and some helpful information about fixing mistakes in your work. Definitely a great addition to the library of any knitter.
Read NextMore Modern Top-Down Knitting
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- More Modern Top-Down Knitting
- Car Seat Blankets
- Enter to win a copy of Knitted Wraps & Cover-Ups!
- Enter to win a copy of Loom Knit Baby Wraps!
- Loom Knitting With the All-n-One Loom
- Enter to Win a Holiday Cheer Knit Ornament Kit!
- Loom Knitting Pattern Book
- Essentially Feminine Knits: 25 Must-Have Chic Designs
- Shawls, Wraps & Ponchos
- Win a copy of "Fun and Fantastical Slippers to Knit!"
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- 10 Free Knitted Bag Patterns for Beginners
- The Amber Cowl
- Simple Summer Top Knitting Pattern
- Iron Knit Hat
- Basic Ankle Socks
- Simple Brioche Headband
- Daydreamer Shawl
- Forest Beehive Shawlette
- Sage Knit Hat
- Eater Bunny Free Knitting
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You