Knitting For Beginners Guide: 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
By: Caitlin Eaton, Editor for AllFreeKnitting
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
If you're new to the knitting world, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to create beautiful, handmade garments for your friends and family. Once you learn the basics of knitting, there are plenty of free knitting patterns for beginners for every season. Whether you're looking for free knitting patterns for beginners hats, or if you're hoping to snag a few easy scarf knitting patterns, you're bound to find something you like in this collection. Do you have a birthday party coming up, or a special event like a wedding? Use that opportunity to learn a new skill and make your own gift! Knitting for beginners doesn't have to be difficult; once you know the basics (with the help of some free tutorials), you'll find that there's a wide variety of free knitting patterns to suit all tastes.
Find tons of helpful tips and tricks in our free eBook: Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners!
Knitting For Beginners Guide: 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
Do you want to go over some knitting basics before you tackle a new project? Review the fundementals with Knitting for Beginners: A Collection of Free Knitting Tutorials!
The difficulty about knitting for beginners is that you can feel limited in what you can accomplish. Don't feel this way! There are plenty of free knitting patterns for beginners that are simple enough for you to tackle, even if you don't know every knitting technique in the book. This collection of hat patterns is a great place to get started. Once you've knit your way through a simple patterns, you're bound to be able to try something a little more challenging, like hats! If you're not familiar with circular knitting needles, don't worry. Many of the patterns featured below use straight knitting needles. You'll just need to seam them up the back to create a nice round shape.
- Cobblestone Hat - Just as charming as a cobblestone road in Germany, this unique hat pattern is just what you need to build up your knitting confidence. Can you believe all this amazing texture takes is a combination of knit and purl stitches?
- Simple Hoodie Hat - This adorable hat is a great beginner knitting pattern because it only uses the knit stitch. Have a baby shower coming up? Make Baby something cute and cozy using this easy pattern. You can even customize it with tassels or flowers!
- Basic Adult Knitted Beanie -This hat is not only suitable for beginners, but it makes a great charity pattern.
The best friend of any knitter, knit scarf patterns are particularly fun for beginners. Depending on the pattern, you might be able to knit your own stylish accessory - for any season - in a matter of hours this weekend! Scarves also make great gifts for a variety of occasions, whether it's a birthday party, a holiday gift, or a handmade present for a special friend. I know you'll love this collection of scarves that we rounded up just for you!
- Easy Mistake Stitch Scarf - By using an odd number of stitches, this scarf creates a gorgeous rib design that's more dramatic than traditional ribbing. Great for men and women, this pattern is definitely one of my all-time favorites.
- Simple Lucky Scarf - This easy-to-make pattern is perfect for people of all ages! Classic in appearance and design, this pattern will never go out of style.
- Bark Knit Scarf - If you're looking for a scarf with a bit of a bite to it, this pattern is calling your name. Using basic stitches, this textural piece creates a design that looks just like the bark of a tree.
While quick knitting projects are fun for taking with you on the go, larger projects are wonderful for practicing knitting skills and can be extremely rewarding, too. In this collection of beautiful afghan patterns, you'll find a group of blankets composed of simple stitches that make a big impact on your home decor. Many of the blankets below feature the garter stitch, which is just the repeated knit stitch over and over again. As you continue knitting the same stitch, the motion will become more natural and your speed will increase. At the end of all that practice, you'll also have your own homemade afghan!
- Sherbet Surprise Afghan - This knit afghan pattern is the quintessential summer project. With pastel stripes of the garter stitch mixed with the bumpy seed stitch, this afghan is a cool blend of texture and color. Drape this beautiful afghan over your couch and remember the all the highlights of summer, like eating rainbow sherbet by the beach.
- Brenda's Knit Stitch Afghan - This blanket might look like it's constructed of separate squares, but it's made entirely in one piece! Use various yarns to create this unique look. Get plenty of practice using the knit stitch with this incredibly simple design.
- Easy Blanket - This bulky beauty is also great for a new knitter. Thicker yarn not only makes the project work up quickly, but it's easy to use and great for building up skills.
The fun doesnt' stop there. Here, we've compiled for you four bonus free knitting patterns for beginners so you can perfect the art and create something fantastic all at the same time. You'll be astounded at how simple these patterns are, and probably find yourself wondering why you didn't start knitting sooner. Maybe you've worked through all of our free knitting patterns for beginners but aren't quite ready yet to move onto more complicated patterns. These are your next projects, you eager knitters. With these bonus patterns, you'll get the hang of knitting in no time.
- Beginner's Bulky Scarf - This bulky scarf is perfect for men and women alike. Its chunky, ribbed constitution will keep you warm in even the coldest of winters, and since its width is a big thicker than most scarves, you can rest easy knowing that it will fit whoever you make it for.
- Cloud Nine Cowl - Cowls can be intimidating to the knitting beginner, but you'll be surprised at how easily this heavenly project just floats off your needles. The gorgeous pale blue color is especially perfect for spring, and is especially flattering on ladies. Both warm and elegant, this project will keep you cozy and make you look like a diva.
- Fruits of the Forest Scarf - The rich colors on this scarf really helps bring our list of free knitting patterns for beginners together. Though it looks like a week-long project, this speedy pattern will be done in no time and give you an exquisitely colored scarf, ripe with all kinds of colors to match any outfit.
- Colorful Sunbeams Blanket - It's no wonder this blanket pattern is so popular. The light yellow complements the blue in a way that is reminiscent of the summer sky. This is just the thing of our free knitting patterns for beginners to brighten up a room.
Do you want to keep working on the basics? You might want to check out Learn How to Knit with a Knit Dishcloth Pattern: 10 Patterns for Beginners.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Knitting For Beginners Guide: 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- "9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day" eBook
- Simple Arm Knitting Patterns: The Easiest Arm Knit Scarves, Blankets, and More
- 22 Pretty and Pink Easy Knitting Projects
- 8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters free eBook
- 15 Knitting for Beginners Projects + Bonus eBook
- "9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring" eBook
- 16 One Skein Knitting Patterns
- Bundle Up: 35 Free Knitting Patterns Made with Bulky Weight Yarn
- The Best 100 Free Knitting Designs Ever: Free Afghan Patterns, Knit Scarf Patterns and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit an Infinity Scarf + 9 Fashionable Cowl Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You