Knitting For Beginners Guide: 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
By: Caitlin Eaton, Editor for AllFreeKnitting
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
If you're new to the knitting world, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to create beautiful, handmade garments for your friends and family. Once you learn the basics of knitting, there are plenty of free knitting patterns for beginners for every season. Whether you're looking for free knitting patterns for beginners hats, or if you're hoping to snag a few easy scarf knitting patterns, you're bound to find something you like in this collection. Do you have a birthday party coming up, or a special event like a wedding? Use that opportunity to learn a new skill and make your own gift! Knitting for beginners doesn't have to be difficult; once you know the basics (with the help of some free tutorials), you'll find that there's a wide variety of free knitting patterns to suit all tastes.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Leave a comment on this page for your chance to win something from our knitting prize closet! Find more info here.
Find tons of helpful tips and tricks in our free eBook: Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners!
Knitting For Beginners Guide: 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
Do you want to go over some knitting basics before you tackle a new project? Review the fundementals with Knitting for Beginners: A Collection of Free Knitting Tutorials!
Before you can tackle any of these beginning knitting patterns, you're going to need to learn the basics! Some of you might have already learned the essentials, but a refresher never hurts. With these knitting tutorials, you should have no problem completing any one of the beginning knitting patterns below. Most of our tutorials come in the form of very helpful videos, so you can pause, rewind, and go at your own pace while learning how to knit. Ready your needles, beginners, and get ready to learn one of the most fun skills ever!
How to Cast On: Knitting
- How to Make a Slip Knot
- How to Cast On Using Two Needles
- How to Knit with Straight Needles
- A Purl Stitch Video Tutorial
- How to Increase Stitches
- How to Decrease Stitches
- How to Bind Off
- Easy Arm Knitting Video for Knitters
- Knitting in the Round
- Changing Colors in Knitting
The difficulty about knitting for beginners is that you can feel limited in what you can accomplish. Don't feel this way! There are plenty of free knitting patterns for beginners that are simple enough for you to tackle, even if you don't know every knitting technique in the book. This collection of hat patterns is a great place to get started. Once you've knit your way through a simple patterns, you're bound to be able to try something a little more challenging, like hats! If you're not familiar with circular knitting needles, don't worry. Many of the patterns featured below use straight knitting needles. You'll just need to seam them up the back to create a nice round shape.
The best friend of any knitter, knit scarf patterns are particularly fun for beginners. Depending on the pattern, you might be able to knit your own stylish accessory - for any season - in a matter of hours this weekend! Scarves also make great gifts for a variety of occasions, whether it's a birthday party, a holiday gift, or a handmade present for a special friend. I know you'll love these knitting patterns! Free and simple - what more could you ask for in a scarf?
While quick knitting projects are fun for taking with you on the go, larger projects are wonderful for practicing knitting skills and can be extremely rewarding, too. In this collection of beautiful afghan patterns, you'll find a group of blankets composed of simple stitches that make a big impact on your home decor. Many of the blankets below feature the garter stitch, which is just the repeated knit stitch over and over again. As you continue knitting the same stitch, the motion will become more natural and your speed will increase. At the end of all that practice, you'll also have your own homemade afghan! These easy knitting patterns are more than worth the effort.
The fun doesn't stop there. Here, we've compiled for you four bonus free knitting patterns for beginners so you can perfect the art and create something fantastic all at the same time. You'll be astounded at how simple these patterns are, and probably find yourself wondering why you didn't start knitting sooner. Maybe you've worked through all of our free knitting patterns for beginners but aren't quite ready yet to move onto more complicated patterns. These are your next projects, you eager knitters. With these bonus patterns, you'll get the hang of knitting in no time.
- Beginner's Bulky Scarf
- Cloud Nine Cowl
- Fruits of the Forest Scarf
- Colorful Sunbeams Blanket
- Still River Baby Blanket NEW!
- Charming Rustic Cushion Cover NEW!
Do you want to keep working on the basics? You might want to check out Learn How to Knit with a Knit Dishcloth Pattern: 10 Patterns for Beginners.
Comment Contest! Leave a comment below for your chance to win something from our knitting closet! Contest ends 6/1/15
Tell Us: What was (or is) your biggest challenge as a beginner knitter? Understanding yarn weights and needle sizes? Getting the basic stitches down? Something else?
Comment below and let us know!
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. The entry will be based upon a comment left on this page. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- Winners will be selected at random from the comments on this post.
- Winners will be announced here on this pattern page June 2, 2015 as well as contacted by email.
- You have until June 1, 2015 at 11:59p EST to leave your comment. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada.
Images from other crafters
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Knitting For Beginners Guide: 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- How to Knit a Sweater or Top for Any Season: 305 Free Knitting Patterns
- "9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring" eBook
- Knit On The Go: 17 Easy Knitting Patterns
- "15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season" eBook
- 27 Knitting Ideas for New Moms
- Uncle Sam's Favorite Knits: 14 Patriotic Free Knitting Patterns
- 26 Straight Needle Knitting Patterns You Need
- Simple Arm Knitting Patterns: The Easiest Arm Knit Scarves, Blankets, and More
- Bundle Up: 35 Free Knitting Patterns Made with Bulky Weight Yarn
- 11 Free Knitting Patterns for 4th of July
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit an Infinity Scarf + 9 Fashionable Cowl Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- Knitting for Baby: 6 Knit Baby Blankets
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You
- The Most Popular Patterns for Afghans: 16 Knit & Crochet Afghan Patterns