10 Lightweight Knit Sweater Patterns
By: Audrey Huggett, Editor, AllFreeKnitting.com
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
I’m happy to confess that, when it comes to knitting, I’m really a sweater fan. Sure, I’ll knit up a shawl or pair of mitten as needed, but I’m happy to work on sweaters endlessly. I’ll often have my next sweater queued up, if not cast on, as I’m finishing my current project. Sweaters are a fun, practical project that can showcase your skills as a knitter and keep you warm at the same time; what’s not to love? Of course, different occasions call for different types of knit sweater patterns. You can’t wear your big, wooly sweater to a wedding in the middle of summer. Similarly, some of the lighter silk or cotton blends become less practical as snow covers the ground.
Needless to say, I’ve got several knitted sweater patterns in my arsenal, ready to go at a moment’s notice. Lightweight sweaters patterns are a particular favorite of mine, since they easily lend themselves to layering and can be worn at almost any time of the year; only in the extreme heat of summer or cold of winter do these knit sweater patterns become obsolete. I’ve collected some of my favorite lightweight sweaters on the site to give you a little creative boost. I find that knitting garments isn’t intimidating when you have a top-notch pattern to help you avoid the pitfalls. These knit sweater patterns will have you addicted to big projects by the time you’re ready to cast off.
10 Lightweight Knit Sweater Patterns
Table of Contents
Find even more lightweight sweater patterns in our popular free eBook, Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3!
Cardigans are a great way to add a splash of color to any outfit. You can easily throw them off when you’re chilly, or take them off when it gets too cold. These casual garments are the perfect sweater for everyday use, and can even be dressed up to suit the office. Some patterns, like the Cranberry Lace Cardigan, are dressy enough to wear almost anywhere. With a bit of patience, these knit cardigan patterns can be incredibly rewarding. The versatility and simplicity of the garment make these free knitting patterns particularly useful additions to your library.
- Afternoon Brunch Cardigan
- Classic Lace Cardigan
- Bedford Yellow Cardigan
- Cranberry Lace Cardigan
- City Girl Cardigan
For more knit sweater and cardigan patterns like these, check out our page, How to Knit a Sweater or Top for Any Season: 305 Free Knitting Patterns!
When the weather gets cold, there’s nothing like a hand knit sweater to warm you back up. These knit sweater patterns will help keep you cozy and entertained on chilly nights. Whether you’re working on a sweater or wearing one, there’s a special feeling that you can only get from wrapping your fingers in wool. Knit sweater patterns are some of the most rewarding projects to complete. Cold weather will be a nuisance of the past with these sweater patterns. These free knitting patterns are fun and stylish. You’ll love telling your friends that you made that, yes, you made the sweater you’re wearing.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 5 Knit Christmas Stocking Patterns
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- Knitting for Baby: 6 Knit Baby Blankets
- Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- Mother's Day Crafts for Adults: 9 Easy Knitting Projects for Mom
- 9 Christmas Knitting Patterns: Easy Knit Scarves for the Holidays
- 11 Free Knitting Patterns for 4th of July
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- How to Knit a Hat: 7 Cozy Free Knit Hat Patterns
- Free Knitting Designs for Fall: 8 Knit Sweater Patterns, Scarves, Bags and More
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- How to Knit a Sweater: 7 Free Sweater Patterns
- New Favorites from Lion Brand: 15 Free Knitting Patterns for Scarves, Afghans and More
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- The Most Popular Patterns for Afghans: 16 Knit & Crochet Afghan Patterns
- The Best of the Midwest Stitches Fashion Show: 7 New Inspiring Free Shawl Patterns, Knit Tops & More
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall
- The Best of the East Fashion Show & Marketplace Favorites: 7 Knitted Scarf Patterns, Free Knit Tops & More
- 7 Free Knitting Patterns for Homemade Halloween Costumes and Easy Decorating Ideas
- 8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You
- Knitting Free Patterns for Summer: 7 Sizzling Knit Tops, Knit Sweater Patterns & More
- Knitted Scarf Patterns Volume 2: Even more of your favorite knit scarf patterns
- How to Knit a Hat Volume 2: Free Knit Hat Patterns for the Whole Family
- Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3
- Knitting in the Round: 10 Knit Sock Patterns and Knitted Slipper Patterns
- How to Knit an Infinity Scarf + 9 Fashionable Cowl Knitting Patterns
- Red Heart Patterns for Baby: 12 Easy Knitting Patterns for Little Ones
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Sandy Winter Cable Cowl
- Garter Stitch Bow Tie Scarf
- Fisherman's Rib Slouchy Beanie
- Sweetish Subtlety Hat
- Rainbow Knit Blanket Pattern
- Gargantuan Infinity Scarf
- Favorite Ribbed Hat for Straight Needles
- Grammy's Favorite Potholders
- Evangelina Lace Scarf
- Free Hearted Washcloth