Little Critter Baby Hat
We are adding the pattern to your Knitting Patterns.
This pattern has been saved to My Knitting Patterns.
Keep your little critters ears warm with this adorable knit baby hat pattern. The Little Critter Baby Hat is a cute, quirky hat you'll love seeing on your baby as much as you'll love knitting it. The soft knit design features a basic construction with a fold-over brim. The pattern includes instructions for a bitty bear or a bitty bunny, and both take just one ball of yarn to complete. Knit one (or both) today for your little one.
Knitting Needle Size: 6 or 4 mm, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight: (3) Light/DK (21-24 stitches to 4 inches)
- Bernat® Softee Baby (Solids: 140 g / 5 oz):
- 1 ball each
- Bunny Version:
- MC: (02000 White)
- A: (30421 Warm Rose)
- Bear Version:
- MC: (30128 Ocean)
- A: (02000 White)
- Set of four size 4 mm (U.S. 6) double- pointed knitting needles
- Pair of size 4 mm (U.S. 6) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 2 buttons for eyes
- Embroidery floss
22 sts and 30 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
To fit baby sizes: 3/6 (12/18) mos.
The instructions are written for smaller size. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
HAT (both Versions).
Lining: Beg at top of crown, with A, cast on 8 sts leaving a 6 ins [15 cm] end. Divide sts evenly on 3 needles (2, 3, 3 sts). Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
1st rnd: Knit, inc 1 st in each st around. 16 sts. 2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K1. Inc 1 st in next st. Rep from * around. 24 sts.
5th rnd: *K2. Inc 1 st in next st. Rep from * around. 32 sts.
7th rnd: *K3. Inc 1 st in next st. Rep from * around. 40 sts.
Cont in this manner, inc 8 sts evenly around following alt rnds until there are 80 (88) sts. Place marker on last rnd. Knit even in rnds until work from beg measures 9 (10) ins [23 (25.5) cm].
Outer Hat: Change to MC and knit in rnds until work from color change (fold line) measures same length as Lining to marker.
Shape top: 1st rnd: *K8 (9). K2tog. Rep from * around. 72 (80) sts.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K7 (8). K2tog. Rep from * around. 64 (72) sts.
5th rnd: *K6 (7). K2tog. Rep from * around. 56 (64) sts.
Cont in this manner, dec 8 sts evenly around following alt rnds until there are 16 sts. Break yarn, leaving a long end. Draw end tightly through rem sts and fasten securely. Weave end at crown of lining tightly through cast on sts and fasten securely.
Fold Lining into Outer Hat along fold line. Fold up cuff as shown.
BUNNY EARS (make 2).
With MC, cast on 13 sts, then with A, cast on 10 sts. 23 sts.
Note: When changing colors, twist the 2 colors around each other where they meet on WS to avoid a hole.
1st row: (RS). With A, P10. With MC, K13.
2nd row: With MC, P13. With A, K10. Rep last 2 rows 8 times more (18 rows total).
Shape top: 1st row: (RS). With A, P2tog. P6. P2tog. With MC, K2tog. K9. Sl1. K1. psso.
2nd and alt rows: Work even in pat.
3rd row: With A, P2tog. P4. P2tog. With MC, K2tog. K7. Sl1. K1. psso.
5th row: With A, P2tog. P2. P2tog. With MC, K2tog. K5. Sl1. K1. psso.
7th row: With A, (P2tog) twice. With MC, K2tog. K3. Sl1. K1. psso.
9th row: With A, P2tog. With MC, K2tog. K1. Sl1. K1. psso. Break yarn leaving a long end of MC. Draw MC end tightly through rem 4 sts and sew side seam. Sew Ears in position as shown.
BEAR EARS (make 2 each with MC and A).
Cast on 15 sts. Work 6 rows stocking st.
Shape top: Dec 1 st each end of next 4 rows. Cast off rem 7 sts.
With WS facing each other, sew Ear made with MC to Ear made with A. Sew Ears in position as shown. Sew on buttons.
Using embroidery floss and stem st, embroider mouth as shown.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 5 Knit Christmas Stocking Patterns
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- How to Knit for Beginners: 9 Free Tutorials
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns for Valentine's Day
- 9 Free Knitting Patterns Perfect for Spring
- 15 Free Cute Knitting Patterns for Every Season
- Knitting for Baby: 6 Knit Baby Blankets
- Knitting for Beginners: 6 Easy Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- Mother's Day Crafts for Adults: 9 Easy Knitting Projects for Mom
- 9 Christmas Knitting Patterns: Easy Knit Scarves for the Holidays
- 11 Free Knitting Patterns for 4th of July
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- How to Knit a Hat: 7 Cozy Free Knit Hat Patterns
- Free Knitting Designs for Fall: 8 Knit Sweater Patterns, Scarves, Bags and More
- A Knitters Gift Guide: 8 Homemade Gift Ideas
- How to Knit a Sweater: 7 Free Sweater Patterns
- New Favorites from Lion Brand: 15 Free Knitting Patterns for Scarves, Afghans and More
- A Yarn Hoarders Guide to Organization: Knitting Storage Solutions, Simple Knitting Patterns and More
- The Most Popular Patterns for Afghans: 16 Knit & Crochet Afghan Patterns
- The Best of the Midwest Stitches Fashion Show: 7 New Inspiring Free Shawl Patterns, Knit Tops & More
- Cozy Free Shawl Patterns: 7 Knitted Shawl Patterns Perfect for Fall
- The Best of the East Fashion Show & Marketplace Favorites: 7 Knitted Scarf Patterns, Free Knit Tops & More
- 7 Free Knitting Patterns for Homemade Halloween Costumes and Easy Decorating Ideas
- 8 Designs for Knitting: Free Patterns for Beginners and Easy Knitting Stashbusters
- The Best Light & Lacy Knit Scarf Patterns: 7 Free Scarf Patterns for You
- Knitting Free Patterns for Summer: 7 Sizzling Knit Tops, Knit Sweater Patterns & More
- Knitted Scarf Patterns Volume 2: Even more of your favorite knit scarf patterns
- How to Knit a Hat Volume 2: Free Knit Hat Patterns for the Whole Family
- Best of the West STITCHES Show: 7 Knit Tops, Free Shawl Patterns and More, Vol. 3
- Knitting in the Round: 10 Knit Sock Patterns and Knitted Slipper Patterns
- How to Knit an Infinity Scarf + 9 Fashionable Cowl Knitting Patterns
- Red Heart Patterns for Baby: 12 Easy Knitting Patterns for Little Ones
Our Newest Patterns & Articles
- Sandy Winter Cable Cowl
- Garter Stitch Bow Tie Scarf
- Fisherman's Rib Slouchy Beanie
- Sweetish Subtlety Hat
- Rainbow Knit Blanket Pattern
- Gargantuan Infinity Scarf
- Favorite Ribbed Hat for Straight Needles
- Grammy's Favorite Potholders
- Evangelina Lace Scarf
- Free Hearted Washcloth